Official Game Thread - 6/18 - Bob's Stooges vs. The Tribe

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

steve49

Post by steve49 »

0F222F3E39283F7F7C4D0 wrote: Bednar only faced 1 batter but needed to come out for a PHer because he would otherwise be leading off the inning because Shelton went out of his way to make sure the pitcher would lead off. Maybe Shelton needs to go into the concussion protocol. No healthy person could be making those decisions.

The man is a total idiot. I can't figure out what was the worst of his BP moves. I can somewhat understand #1. The following 3 are just plain stupid.

1) Pulling Kuhl after 70 some pitches.

2) Leaving Howard in for a 6 run shellacking .

3) Pulling Bednar to go with a wild man that throws frisbee sliders.

4) Not having Rodriguez come in with 2 outs in the 8th.
NewMexicoLobo

Post by NewMexicoLobo »

13140516055459600 wrote: Bednar only faced 1 batter but needed to come out for a PHer because he would otherwise be leading off the inning because Shelton went out of his way to make sure the pitcher would lead off. Maybe Shelton needs to go into the concussion protocol. No healthy person could be making those decisions.

The man is a total idiot. I can't figure out what was the worst of his BP moves. I can somewhat understand #1. The following 3 are just plain stupid.

While it's a given that all MLB fans complain about their team's manager, but Shelton, even at this stage of his development, is a terrible field boss.

I only hope Cherington can see this.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

12392B113924353F3310333E335C0 wrote: Bednar only faced 1 batter but needed to come out for a PHer because he would otherwise be leading off the inning because Shelton went out of his way to make sure the pitcher would lead off. Maybe Shelton needs to go into the concussion protocol. No healthy person could be making those decisions.

While it's a given that all MLB fans complain about their team's manager, but Shelton, even at this stage of his development, is a terrible field boss.

I agree. Fans will always complain about a manager's decisions. But Shelton is consistently so illogical that it defies common sense. It's scary to think about what he'll screw up next. And every game he does something else that seems unthinkable for a MLB manager.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

Shelton may have been a good assistant of sorts.  Some guys just can't take the mantle. 

I'm as concerned about Cherington as I am with Shelton.  Was this Shelton guy the very best available candidate?  And, I recoginize that a part of "availabilty" is "interested in the job."  Guys who weren't interested for any number of reasons weren't available. 

Could there have been a very highly-regarded minor league manager who was interested? 

I don't know, and I doubt anyone on the board knows, but it makes me wonder.

"First impressions are important, but they're only so important."  Coach Bill Cowher

My first impressions don't provide me with any warm, fuzzy feeling.  I hope it does soon.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

467364646F5664646F6864010 wrote: Good news!  We're no longer the worst in RD! 
Like I said, the climb begins!
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

5C77655F776A7B717D5E7D707D120 wrote: Bednar only faced 1 batter but needed to come out for a PHer because he would otherwise be leading off the inning because Shelton went out of his way to make sure the pitcher would lead off. Maybe Shelton needs to go into the concussion protocol. No healthy person could be making those decisions.

I don't think anything happens this year to him. Not sure they want to pay another manager to not coach. The team stinks regardless. His mistakes will really show when/if this team ever has talent to compete unless he is a placeholder.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4A5A5B6C7A7A76190 wrote: Bednar only faced 1 batter but needed to come out for a PHer because he would otherwise be leading off the inning because Shelton went out of his way to make sure the pitcher would lead off. Maybe Shelton needs to go into the concussion protocol. No healthy person could be making those decisions.

I don't think anything happens this year to him.  Not sure they want to pay another manager to not coach.  The team stinks regardless.  His mistakes will really show when/if this team ever has talent to compete unless he is a placeholder.
I suspect that by now BC has realized that Shelton is incompetent. But winning is not a priority this year anyway. But if BC is successful in what he's been trying to do (build up the talent in the minors now to put more talent on the MLB roster next year and beyond) then he can't afford to have progress stunted by a clueless manager. So it probably depends on where BC sees the team next year. If he thinks there can be substantial improvement, i.e., getting a lot closer to .500 with a legit chance to be competitive by 2023, then Shelton will have to go. But if next year is another throw away season like this one, then it doesn't matter who the manager is and they may keep Shelton around.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

Maybe BC has concluded that Shelton gives the team the best chance of earning the first or second draft pick next June. Unless Shelton’s receiving orders from BC to let’s say, “help” the team to fail, he’s showing remarkable incompetence. He’s best suited for the American League game where he can just sit there and not have to make decisions.
steve49

Post by steve49 »

2274627679637378756250777D71797C3E73100 wrote: Maybe BC has concluded that Shelton gives the team the best chance of earning the first or second draft pick next June.  Unless Shelton’s receiving orders from BC to let’s say, “help” the team to fail, he’s showing remarkable incompetence.  He’s best suited for the American League game where he can just sit there and not have to make decisions.

He's best suited not to be managing a MLB team. Stupid is stupid and he can be an idiot with or without a DH.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

696E7F6C7F2E231A0 wrote: Maybe BC has concluded that Shelton gives the team the best chance of earning the first or second draft pick next June.  Unless Shelton’s receiving orders from BC to let’s say, “help” the team to fail, he’s showing remarkable incompetence.  He’s best suited for the American League game where he can just sit there and not have to make decisions.

He's best suited not to be managing a MLB team. Stupid is stupid and he can be an idiot with or without a DH.

I stand corrected.