5/30 game thread. Polanco in, Marte out.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

5C5E444254310 wrote: I have to admit, Musgrove is pitching a lot better than I ever expected. I'm amazed.

He does have a better winning percentage and ERA than Cole! Cole has given up more HRs too.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4D7F73736755767F7277787F1E0 wrote: They have been a streaky team all year, it doesn't seem to be predicate on the competition.

Yeah, I don't think anyone should be surprised if they now rattle off eight out of ten or something like that (or lose them for that matter). 
They haven't been the horrible team many of us expected. But they are far from an elite team. Dickerson was a big upgrade. Harrison, Marte and Cervelli are playing up to their max. Mercer and Moran are serviceable. There's a hole at 1B and the cleanup spot (Bell) as well as RF when Polanco plays (and takes the bat away from someone much better). Starting pitching has good days and bad, as does the BP. This team is just as likely yo play a lot of good games in a row as bad ones. And just as likely to reverse whatever streak they are on. Probably headed toward something close to a .500 finish.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

:-X :-X6D666E6267667D383E497068616666276A66090 wrote: I have to admit, Musgrove is pitching a lot better than I ever expected. I'm amazed.

He does have a better winning percentage and ERA than Cole!  Cole has given up more HRs too.

:-X :-X
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

476A67767160773734050 wrote: They have been a streaky team all year, it doesn't seem to be predicate on the competition.

Yeah, I don't think anyone should be surprised if they now rattle off eight out of ten or something like that (or lose them for that matter). 
They haven't been the horrible team many of us expected. But they are far from an elite team. Dickerson was a big upgrade. Harrison, Marte and Cervelli are playing up to their max. Mercer and Moran are serviceable. There's a hole at 1B and the cleanup spot (Bell) as well as RF when Polanco plays (and takes the bat away from someone much better). Starting pitching has good days and bad, as does the BP. This team is just as likely yo play a lot of good games in a row as bad ones. And just as likely to reverse whatever streak they are on. Probably headed toward something close to a .500 finish.

I think the floor is around 78-82 wins, I think right now, there are more guys in line for positive regression, than negative. Meadows and Cervelli are the only guys that are really playing over their heads at the moment, Musgrove too I suppose, in a very SSS. Bell and Polanco were miscast in the 4 and 2 spot respectively, but I think they will perform better than their current numbers. I also think the rotation will start performing with some more consistency going forward.

I can see them hanging around the WC race this year, but that's contingent on RF and 1B producing.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

3B39232533560 wrote: I have to admit, Musgrove is pitching a lot better than I ever expected. I'm amazed.

Musgrove has a really impressive arsenal. His ability to saw off lefties with his cutter really looks great. Really liked his fire and aggressiveness so far too. Guy has some weaponry. I figured something must be off because of how poorly he faired as a starter in Houston, but he looks real, real good.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

He said after the game that he is happy being a starter again. He has that huge frame Huntington likes too. So far so good for Musgrove.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

496469787F6E79393A0B0 wrote: They have been a streaky team all year, it doesn't seem to be predicate on the competition.

I think the offense will be as good as any of our recent "good" teams. I'm just really underwhelmed with the starting pitching staff as a whole (though as individuals I have hopes for all of them). There's no top end atm.