Official Game Thread - 5/19 - Bucs @ Cards

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

694F485D54584F59513A0 wrote: We again have at least 3 players vying for the mark of when will I get another hit?

Perez - .089.   Gamel - .097   Craig - .136. 

Mario Mendoza or one of the former posters favorite, Abe Nunez, are almost sluggers in looking at the above.
.089- darn hard to justify his being in the lineup
All of them are listed as negative 0.4 WAR right now, so I'm wondering if that that's a default number until a certain threshold of games/innings/AB's occurs?
If Craig doesn’t hit much more before Evans or Moran return I think the Pirates will move on from him by designating him for assignment. When Hayes returns in June, a 40 man roster spot will need to be opened. Same goes for Brault whenever he returns this season.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

575B5A0108010904031C06310 wrote: We again have at least 3 players vying for the mark of when will I get another hit?

Perez - .089.   Gamel - .097   Craig - .136. 

Mario Mendoza or one of the former posters favorite, Abe Nunez, are almost sluggers in looking at the above.
.089- darn hard to justify his being in the lineup
All of them are listed as negative 0.4 WAR right now, so I'm wondering if that that's a default number until a certain threshold of games/innings/AB's occurs?
If Craig doesn’t hit much more before Evans or Moran return I think the Pirates will move on from him by designating him for assignment. When Hayes returns in June, a 40 man roster spot will need to be opened. Same goes for Brault whenever he returns this season.
Yeah, Craig has not impressed. Other than his one HR, he has rarely made good (if any) contact.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Craig was dfa'd prior to the start of the season and no other team expressed an interest.

Except for his defense, at present, I doubt any other team would have much interest. And, if they do, Craig appears to be a 1st round prospect who they can move on from.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

Every time I see some of the plays Craig makes at first, my thought is, "why can't this guy hit .235 with a little pop?"

I've read that in MLB, first base isn't really a concern defensively if someone can hit. I guess that's why the Nats weren't concerned about how bad Bell was at first, they were probably hoping he'd hit again, defense be damned.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

775156434A4651474F240 wrote: Every time I see some of the plays Craig makes at first, my thought is, "why can't this guy hit .235 with a little pop?"

I've read that in MLB, first base isn't really a concern defensively if someone can hit. I guess that's why the Nats weren't concerned about how bad Bell was at first, they were probably hoping he'd hit again, defense be damned.
That was always the MLB philosophy. 1B was where you stuck someone who was bad with the glove but too good a hitter not to have in the lineup. That changed in the AL when the DH created an opportunity to have that hitter as well as a competent 1Bman. But it's still the case in the NL. But the player has to be a good enough hitter to make his lack of fielding worthwhile. Currently Bell is hitting .173 with as many HRs as Phil Evans. So the Nats are sacrificing both offense and defense at 1B. I suspect the 3-6-3 DP is no longer in their playbook.

Speaking of the Nats, they have the distinction of leading the NL in team BA at .252 but scoring the 3rd fewest runs.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

59757D7A7156617767140 wrote: Craig was dfa'd prior to the start of the season and no other team expressed an interest.

Except for his defense, at present, I doubt any other team would have much interest.   And, if they do, [highlight]Craig appears to be a 1st round prospect who they can move on from.[/highlight] 

That same comment can apply to most of Huntington's first round picks. It's remarkable how many times he failed with that pick.