Mets@Pirates 7/29 Game Thread...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

0F222F3E39283F7F7C4D0 wrote: This has been one of the most excruciating Joe Block broadcasts yet. I've muted it 4 different times because he WON'T STOP TALKING! It's the Joe Block stream of consciousness. It's unbearable.

Agree! Worst play-by-play guy in my life time going back to the Gunner. Of course I was not a fan of Lanny Frattare either.

Block's problem is he learned under Bob Uecker. And Block had to play the straight man in Milwaukee. Here he is still playing the straight man but needs to be a bit more funny, enthusiastic, off-the-wall with some of his calls. As much as I get angry at Brown for his "Trip, Trip, Triple" call he is still more into the game than Block. If they would terminate Block this is one guy who would join you in not complaining.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

082A39242722252A093E2828244B0 wrote: Disappointing loss today and a missed opportunity.

But I still feel pretty good. Bottom line is they've won 15 of 19 despite being pretty banged up lately.

The most games they can be back at the trade deadline is 4, I think.

They need to sweep the Cubs but they absolutely must get 1 of 2, and then they have to get 2 of 3 from the Cards.
I think the only way we get going again is if Dickerson comes back fully healthy and on a tear like he was before injury. He definitely was the fuse that lite the offense for that 11 in a row streak, without him this offense looks pretty mundane. Kinda like JHay did a few years back. Speaking of JHay he just looks terrible for most of this year, a change in scenery would be good for him and the Pirates.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Dickerson, for whatever reason, turned out to be especially suited for batting lead off. I'm guessing this has something to do with his changed batting approach, because there is no way his priors heading into the season would have indicated that.

That said, you remove that production from that spot, and of course the rest of the offense tanks. In hindsight, it does make some sense though, his two strike approach has been incredibly effective, and moving him to a spot where he see's more hittable pitches allowed him to hit drive more baseballs.

So yes, unfortunately this series against the cubs is going to be painful, but I think he'll back and healthy at the end of the week.