Who will Bucs add to handle catching

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I do think the "we're not doing anything!" mindset while understandable is a little premature at this point. Just because we will end up with one nameless grey face of a catcher instead of another probably won't amount to much.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

I think this ex-Bucco is available:

Erik Kratz

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... er01.shtml
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I heard something on The Fan today, and it was mentioned that Robinson Chirinos might be the catcher they are targeting.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

5B57560D040D05080F100A3D0 wrote: I heard something on The Fan today, and it was mentioned that Robinson Chirinos might be the catcher they are targeting.

I would be fine with Chirinos.

I don't want them to trade anything for Austin Hedges.

His bat is just too bad. He has some power but brings nothing else to the plate. He would have to be the best defensive catcher in baseball by far to make it worth playing him as more than a back up.

The latest I could find on Hedges in mlb trade rumors was just this:

The Padres are also looking to move catcher Austin Hedges, who is set to make roughly $2.9MM this year and has two more arbitration seasons remaining.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

565A5B0009000805021D07300 wrote: I heard something on The Fan today, and it was mentioned that Robinson Chirinos might be the catcher they are targeting.
That would be ok with me.
NJBucsFan

Post by NJBucsFan »

Apparently Luke Maile. MLB deal, but please be organizational depth.

The Pirates have agreed to a deal with free agent catcher Luke Maile, per Jon Heyman of MLB Network (via Twitter). It’ll be a MLB pact, with financial details still unknown.
steve49

Post by steve49 »

494D45726474416669070 wrote: Apparently Luke Maile. MLB deal, but please be organizational depth.

The Pirates have agreed to a deal with free agent catcher Luke Maile, per Jon Heyman of MLB Network (via Twitter). It’ll be a MLB pact, with financial details still unknown.

And who says the Pirates won't spend to improve their roster. This guy is a monster. Hit .151 in 119 AB's last year . A bit below his robust career average of .198 . I look for him to come in around a buck seventy five. This is a dynamite signing .
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

here is link to his stats:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... um=linker-

he doesn't have much of a bat so maybe he is very good defensively. I'm sure at least one additional catcher to him will be brought in. He makes Austin Hedges look like a good hitter.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

292E3F2C3F6E635A0 wrote: Apparently Luke Maile. MLB deal, but please be organizational depth.

And who says the Pirates won't spend to improve their roster. This guy is a monster. Hit .151 in 119 AB's last year . A bit below his robust career average of .198 . I look for him to come in around a buck seventy five. This is a dynamite signing .
Looks like BC blew his salary budget on this one big free agent signing. :)

I read that he's good defensively. So at least there's that. Maybe in the late innings Joe Musgrove can pinch hit for him.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

496469787F6E79393A0B0 wrote: Apparently Luke Maile. MLB deal, but please be organizational depth.

Looks like BC blew his salary budget on this one big free agent signing. :)

I read that he's good defensively. So at least there's that. Maybe in the late innings Joe Musgrove can pinch hit for him.

does he have any options? I'm guessing that he doesn't but it would be nice to have somebody like him that could shuttle to Indy if needed. Perhaps the 26 man roster may make that less important.