7/22 Game thread, Pirates at Reds

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

To borrow the sentiment of Freddy; the next 3 games against the Indians and their aces is big. Love to take 2 of 3; we cannot afford to get swept. If that happens the FO will assume that our 9 game winning streak was just a mirage.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

5C797A7A6F4479717364160 wrote: To borrow the sentiment of Freddy; the next 3 games against the Indians and their aces is big. Love to take 2 of 3; we cannot afford to get swept. If that happens the FO will assume that our 9 game winning streak was just a mirage. Yea facing the Indians and both Kluber and Bauer is going to be a different animal and a much tougher series then the one we just had here in Cincy. So gonna have to pitch well this series if they want to have a chance to win 2 of 3. I like the Pirates chances in this series though with Williams, Musgrove and Taillon scheduled to pitch. If the offense continues to stay hot with the starting pitching we have going this series I think the Pirates can win 2 of 3. If you can come home for this 4 game series against a Mets team who stinks and go 5-1 in Ohio their will be a nice buzz I believe next weekend around this team and maybe some bigger crowds then we think as well.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Looks like Branson has been putting some time in the cage with Nova getting him straightened out. If he can help Polanco then he can help Nova. Now if he can get together with Moran and get him hitting so he can win dmetz over! ;D ;D
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

At 51-49 now we are at the 100 game mark with 62 games now remaining. I think worst case scenario it’s going to take around 86-87 wins probably to get a 2nd wildcard spot. We’ll call it 87 for now. So let’s say it takes 87 wins are the Pirates capable of going 36-26 in these last 62 games and playing 10 games over .500 the remainder of the season??
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

The Brewers are down 11-2 to the Dodgers and the Braves are losing to the Nats right now. So if this holds up the Pirates will be 4 games back of the 2nd wildcard.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

022534303528172334353528510 wrote: The Brewers are down 11-2 to the Dodgers and the Braves are losing to the Nats right now. So if this holds up the Pirates will be 4 games back of the 2nd wildcard.

Good news but I am shooting for the works.  Win the darn division!  A wild card is not enough.  We need more that one playoff game!

Unfortunately if that happens we just validate the model of the BMTIB, including HN and CH. They will no doubt extended for another 4 years.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

CANNOT. GET. SWEPT. IN. CLEVELAND.

Gotta find a way to get at least one W.

1 win and a 4-2 trip will be just fine.

Of course 2 of 3 would be so much better.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Check this out.

Just did some quick math ...

During the Pirates 9-game streak, they have played 82 innings.

The Pirates have led or been tied after 80 of the 82 innings (66 leads, 14 ties).

They have trailed for a grand total of 2 innings.

Now THAT'S domination ...

I can't remember a Pirates stretch like this. There's probably been one, but I can't recall it.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

2103100D0E0B0C03201701010D620 wrote: CANNOT. GET. SWEPT. IN. CLEVELAND.

Gotta find a way to get at least one W.

1 win and a 4-2 trip will be just fine.

Of course 2 of 3 would be so much better. Yea I really want 2 or 3 in this series with the Tribe. That will set you up to possibly win 3 of 4 at home with the Mets next weekend which is definitely possible and certainly doable. A 5-2 week this week with the Indians and Mets puts you at 56-51 5 games over .500 right at the trade deadline and probably 2-3 games maybe even better out of a wildcard spot. Things will really start getting interesting should things play out like that this week. Here is to hoping they most certainly do.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

I have advocated that the team trade all available talent and commence a rebuild.

I busted Dickerson because he had all of 6 HR's and was showing no power.

I was in the camp that recommended sending Bell to the minors to rebuild his swing, and similarly recommended such for Polanco.

I have suggested trading both Marte and Vasquez because they would yield the best returns.

Frankly, it now appears that the more that I watch baseball the less that I know and understand.

I would like nothing more for the current Pirate team to continue to show how wrong that I have been. Team is winning with good starting pitching, good relief pitching and solid hitting, including power. I still only trust Marte in CF and Dickerson in LF and Moran's arm on defense, and I still wish the Bucs would have fired Hurdle, but hey, a 9 game winning streak shows that this team has some character.

Sure would be great to take 2 of 3 from the Indians, but their starting pitching, particularly the starters that will face the Bucs, has been really solid.