SCBucco

Game Thread 8/20 - Bucs vs Indians

Post by SCBucco »

May as well get my vote in with 2 outs in the ninth

Cherrington 0.5; Nutting 0.5
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

736B696E6E79686F727365000 wrote: McShelton says this team needs to find a way to have fun.  This guy is really turning out to be a disaster it's time Cherington gets rid of this guy he just seemed detached from reality.

Does Shelton know that winning is fun?
BenM

Post by BenM »

The Pirates managed to get swept by a team batting only .200. Two. . .oh. . . oh.

That's embarrassing.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Cleveland pitcher Karinchak kept throwing the ball into the ground and the Pirates kept swinging at it.

I have never seen a baseball team look so discouraged, so overmatched, so pathetic. After every check swing across the plate at balls in the dirt they plead with the ump to give them another chance. A 2-0 game might as well be 20-0. The Pirates have no chance to win and every player on the field clearly realizes it. This is a total embarrassment. Every pitcher out of the BP seems to be getting an audition to be no more than the 13th pitcher on an actual staff. No one impresses but they all get a good look even though none would merit a look on a real team. This team isn't rebuilding, isn't developing, isn't evaluating. They are trying to get by with the dregs of professional baseball. (Other than that, I'm enjoying the game experience. :)) Yippee!
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I'm assuming McShelton got the mgr job only because Aunt Edna was at the grocery store and couldn't make the interview. This guy is a total joke, embarrassment and the personification of incompetence. He doesn't try to win while also not adequately fielding a team to be looked at and evaluated. Dyson? Really? Bell at 1B while anyone else DHes? No one with an ounce of intelligence would handle this team with such an overwhelming degree of ineptitude. And Cherington hired him. The same GM who keeps bringing in minor league pitchers to evaluate to see which one would actually make a real MLB team as the last guy on the team and the one they'd least want to use.

I've been a Pirate fan since my earliest childhood memories. But I really don't know how much more of this insane garbage masquerading as baseball I can take.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

002526263318252D2F384A0 wrote: Bieber is very impressive. Has the control of Greg Maddux but with a better fastball. 11 K’s and no walks in 6 innings. Of course he was pitching against a team that had 6 guys in the starting lineup hitting under .203

Gotta agree with Green Weenie for the quote of the year: if I was one of those cardboard fans; I would get up and leave!

That's quite a compliment, and not sure it's deserved. But, thanks.

I live very close to The Bank- Citizens Bank Ballpark. I have to wonder just how much this would fly among Phillies fans. BOB Nutting should get on his hands and knees and thank God that he has the fans that he does. This is flat out disgusting.
WildwoodDave

Post by WildwoodDave »

754057575C6557575C5B57320 wrote: Bieber is very impressive. Has the control of Greg Maddux but with a better fastball. 11 K’s and no walks in 6 innings. Of course he was pitching against a team that had 6 guys in the starting lineup hitting under .203

Gotta agree with Green Weenie for the quote of the year: if I was one of those cardboard fans; I would get up and leave!

That's quite a compliment, and not sure it's deserved.  But, thanks.

I live very close to The Bank- Citizens Bank Ballpark.  I have to wonder just how much this would fly among Phillies fans.  BOB Nutting should get on his hands and knees and thank God that he has the fans that he does.  This is flat out disgusting.
I am sure you are not used to compliments
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

755855444352450506370 wrote: I'm assuming McShelton got the mgr job only because Aunt Edna was at the grocery store and couldn't make the interview. This guy is a total joke, embarrassment and the personification of incompetence. He doesn't try to win while also not adequately fielding a team to be looked at and evaluated. Dyson? Really? Bell at 1B while anyone else DHes? No one with an ounce of intelligence would handle this team with such an overwhelming degree of ineptitude. And Cherington hired him. The same GM who keeps bringing in minor league pitchers to evaluate to see which one would actually make a real MLB team as the last guy on the team and the one they'd least want to use.

I've been a Pirate fan since my earliest childhood memories. But I really don't know how much more of this insane garbage masquerading as baseball I can take.

I'm like you Bobster, but I will never give up on my Buccos. I will be glad when next season comes along and I can see what happens in Morgantown. Be it a minor team or and independent league team I will root for them and go see them play instead of the garbage team at PNC.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

725F52434455420201300 wrote: So many issues. [highlight]Are they using this mini-season to evaluate?[/highlight] Seems they are. How else to explain bizarre pitching decisions like lifting effective pitchers so guys like Neverauskas can pitch. And constant lineup and position switches. So why is utility guy Gonzalez never evaluated at 2B? Once again they move Newman out of position to 2B to give SS to Gonzalez. Are they evaluation Newman at 2B? Then why not EVER put Tucker at SS? And why not put Frazier in the OF if they want to see if Newman can handle 2B? That would enable them to put Tucker in CF if they are so dead set against him at SS instead of putting Tucker in RF tonight so that Dyson, who has no future with the team and cannot hit anyway, can take up space in CF.

The only conclusion I can reach is that these games are being use to evaluate but they are doing a really half-a$$ed job of it.

It had to be their intention to spend at least the first four to six months evaluating not just the 40-man roster, but all of the players in the organization. As the rest of your post points out, their methods have fallen between head-scratching and downright bizarre. There's no question the virus shutting down the season for four months hurt their processes tremendously, especially being a new administration, but we've been past that for over a month now. There are no excuses for the poor job in every phase since they've been back together.

It leads me to think that their decisions have either been intentional, in order to not win games, or they have no idea what they're doing. Either one is unacceptable but, if they're completely incompetent, that's a more grave issue. We'll be forced to watch this for at least three more years before another change is made to the Front Office, and then who among us will believe or trust a capable group will be hired to replace these guys.

The problems with the Pirates go far beyond the major league team. The entire organization is deathly sick with no apparent immediate or long-term plan in place to get better. As we all know, the main reason is the owner, the one aspect hardest to change. Until he either changes his priority to win, which he's proven he won't, or he and his family no longer owns the franchise, the situation will remain mostly as it is. Since he has no incentive to win or to change, seasons like the past five will be common, regardless of who's in charge of baseball operations. Those people simply will not be given the tools to succeed.

I don't know Cherington's reasons for coming here. With just 30 GM jobs available, the lure has to be intoxicating for people like him. I'm going to continue to believe that he's a better talent evaluator than Huntington was because it has to be impossible to be worse. I don't know if he'll be able to succeed but I think he should get more time than nine months. As for Shelton, I won't even try to justify what he's doing.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

7325332728322229243301262C20282D6F22410 wrote: So many issues. [highlight]Are they using this mini-season to evaluate?[/highlight] Seems they are. How else to explain bizarre pitching decisions like lifting effective pitchers so guys like Neverauskas can pitch. And constant lineup and position switches. So why is utility guy Gonzalez never evaluated at 2B? Once again they move Newman out of position to 2B to give SS to Gonzalez. Are they evaluation Newman at 2B? Then why not EVER put Tucker at SS? And why not put Frazier in the OF if they want to see if Newman can handle 2B? That would enable them to put Tucker in CF if they are so dead set against him at SS instead of putting Tucker in RF tonight so that Dyson, who has no future with the team and cannot hit anyway, can take up space in CF.

The only conclusion I can reach is that these games are being use to evaluate but they are doing a really half-a$$ed job of it.

It had to be their intention to spend at least the first four to six months evaluating not just the 40-man roster, but all of the players in the organization.  As the rest of your post points out, their methods have fallen between head-scratching and downright bizarre.  There's no question the virus shutting down the season for four months hurt their processes tremendously, especially being a new administration, but we've been past that for over a month now.  There are no excuses for the poor job in every phase since they've been back together.

It leads me to think that their decisions have either been intentional, in order to not win games, or they have no idea what they're doing. Either one is unacceptable but, if they're completely incompetent, that's a more grave issue.  We'll be forced to watch this for at least three more years before another change is made to the Front Office, and then who among us will believe or trust a capable group will be hired to replace these guys.

The problems with the Pirates go far beyond the major league team.  The entire organization is deathly sick with no apparent immediate or long-term plan in place to get better.  As we all know, the main reason is the owner, the one aspect hardest to change.  Until he either changes his priority to win, which he's proven he won't, or he and his family no longer owns the franchise, the situation will remain mostly as it is.  Since he has no incentive to win or to change, seasons like the past five will be common, regardless of who's in charge of baseball operations.  Those people simply will not be given the tools to succeed.

I don't know Cherington's reasons for coming here.  With just 30 GM jobs available, the lure has to be intoxicating for people like him.  I'm going to continue to believe that he's a better talent evaluator than Huntington was because it has to be impossible to be worse.  I don't know if he'll be able to succeed but I think he should get more time than nine months.  As for Shelton, I won't even try to justify what he's doing.
I'm of the opinion that the city and community of Pittsburg could put pressure on Nutting and you would think they would be all over this. It's costing the community millions no one is going to come watch this pitiful excuse and I think it could make it unprofitable for Nutting to continue to operate in Pittsburg. If it's so obvious his ownership is destroying the team. Why wouldn't the businesses in Pittsburg lay down the law to Nutting.