Kela Is Going On IL

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Kela Is Going On IL

Post by Bobster21 »

4E6F674E656D0A0 wrote: Kela probably knew there was a chance he would not be able to pitch on Wednesday.  Why did they not get an arm from Indy to just come to town and wait and see with Kela's condition.  Then when Kela tells them he can't go yesterday morning the IL him and activate the Indy arm.  Geesh, I am beginning to agree with skinnyhorse on this team's roster management.
It's really eye opening how little TBMTIB seems to care. Last year they went much of the season with only 2 legit outfielders. As if it just wasn't worth the bother to add another. Now, the day after using 6 relievers for 5 innings on Tuesday (which was an unnecessary burden on the BP since no one was allowed to pitch more than 1 inning), they leave themselves 1 pitcher short. I guess it wan't worth the bother to add someone.
SteadyFreddy

Kela Is Going On IL

Post by SteadyFreddy »

557875646372652526170 wrote: Clay Holmes is coming up too.

Hurray for Warm Bodies!
Yikes! Shows how desperate things are at Indy. Holmes has been a disaster vs AAA batters this year:

IP 15.2

H  17

R  15

ER 11

BB 15

SO 13

ERA 6.32

WHIP 2.043

In his most recent 4 games, he's been scored upon in 3 of them. In that span he's gone 6 innings, 6 hits, 6 ER, 9 walks.

And he earned a promotion. Can't wait to see how hurdle plugs him into the formula. Yea it’s embarrassing that he is the one they  called up with those kinds of numbers. Maybe Clint can give Musgrove a rest tonight since he only pitched 6 days ago and skip his turn in the rotation and start Holmes tonight in St Louis. That worked out real well last August in San Francisco if you remember when the Pirates were on a roll and Clint had to give guys rest so he could let Holmes pitch and give up 7 runs in the 1st two innings. The Pirates season after that game if you remember was never quite the same.
IABucFan

Kela Is Going On IL

Post by IABucFan »

Personally, I don't mind the rest as much as some do. I think there's enough research and evidence to suggest that it helps prevent injuries. I have no problem sneaking an extra day of rest for a starter, for instance, or not letting a reliever go three days in a row. That said, my real issue with the game yesterday was just what many are saying...Kela should have been on the injured list before the first pitch and a warm body brought in from Indy, or heck, Altoona if need-be. Instead, they farted around, haven't used him in four days, hoping that he'll recover. Worst case scenario yesterday was to bring DuRapau or Holmes or whomever to Pittsburgh. Evaluate Kela in the morning. If he's fine, great. Give Holmes a ticket to the game or let him watch from a luxury box, and then send him back. If Kela's hurt, then you at least have someone there you can put on the mound. I'll ask the question again...what if that game had gone extras, which it may well have? Would they have forfeited? Who would you actually use to pitch in that situation? Moran? Cervelli? I honestly have no idea. But I don't think the Pirates had any idea either. And that's the problem.

So, I won't mock Clint for resting his players. Personally, I think it helps prevent injuries and keeps guys fresh. But for goodness sake, when you know you have back to back bullpen games coming up, maybe it would be a good idea to, I don't know, have a full assortment of pitchers available in your bullpen.