Embrace the S*ck

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

bucs607179

Embrace the S*ck

Post by bucs607179 »

08292108232B4C0 wrote: The Pirates need to hire the Dodger scouts.

The Dodgers consistently hit on their draft picks.

Just look at how many ROY’s they have drafted and developed.

The Bucs right now have a very small nucleus of Reynolds, Hayes, soon to be Gonzales and hopefully Cruz. They have a pitcher Contreras who is tearing it up in the minors. They need a Priester, and a couple other Milb pitchers to develop into solid rotation starters. They absolutely have to hit on their #1 draft pick this year and their high pick next year.

Even if that all comes together, will Nutting invest to keep that nucleus together? Doubtful. They did extend Cutch but that was a club friendly deal. The only player that I can recall the  Bucs signing to a long fair market deal was Jason Kendall and that was the previous regime. They promised to keep home grown talent in return for PNC being built.

So my friends we can only hope for lightening in a bottle and enjoy a short period of success before another drought begins. Or a forced sale of the club. Maybe someone can “ borrow” one of Marge Schott’s swastika armbands and place it in Nutting’s dresser

First of all, I'm on board with Mainer from above.  This team isn't close and it doesn't pay to be "just" bad.  It pays to be the worst.

To Jolly Roger's first point about scouting, I think you are on the money.  I think this is largely where the NH regime failed (especially the last number of years).  The Pirates don't scout or develop as well as the better clubs.  This is ironic because this is a cheap place to invest and do better than the big clubs.

To that point, there are a lot or reasons to thing that the tides are changing the the BC regime.  Though is is early, BC's draft last year looks great.  Everyone knows Gonzalez and he has been good so far.  But their competitive balance pick, Carmen Mlodzinski has also been fantastic so far.  Second round Pick Jarred Jones (in a small sample size) has been good with a great K/IP.  Same with 3th round pick Nick Garcia.  Fifth round pick Logan Hofman has been even better than those two. 

As mentioned above, Roansy Contreras has been one of the better pitchers in all of the minors so far.  The trades that BC has made have been pretty successful in the early going.  Other than the MLB guys from the Musgrove trade, Head has been solid.  As has Endy Rodriguez and Omar Cruz is striking out well over a batter per inning.

I don't know how this will go in the long run, but this management team is already looking a lot better than the previous one in the place where the Pirates have to be elite. 

As much as I detest the Bucs and the way there are playing right now, I think that there is just a little flicker of light at the end of the tunnel.  Now it is up to BC to continue his great scouting and hopefully development throughout the system.  I do hope to be around when they are in contention not just for a wild card spot but a real contenders for the pennant. 

I really hope you are a young man.

bucs607179

Embrace the S*ck

Post by bucs607179 »

08292108232B4C0 wrote: The Pirates need to hire the Dodger scouts.

The Dodgers consistently hit on their draft picks.

Just look at how many ROY’s they have drafted and developed.

The Bucs right now have a very small nucleus of Reynolds, Hayes, soon to be Gonzales and hopefully Cruz. They have a pitcher Contreras who is tearing it up in the minors. They need a Priester, and a couple other Milb pitchers to develop into solid rotation starters. They absolutely have to hit on their #1 draft pick this year and their high pick next year.

Even if that all comes together, will Nutting invest to keep that nucleus together? Doubtful. They did extend Cutch but that was a club friendly deal. The only player that I can recall the  Bucs signing to a long fair market deal was Jason Kendall and that was the previous regime. They promised to keep home grown talent in return for PNC being built.

So my friends we can only hope for lightening in a bottle and enjoy a short period of success before another drought begins. Or a forced sale of the club. Maybe someone can “ borrow” one of Marge Schott’s swastika armbands and place it in Nutting’s dresser

First of all, I'm on board with Mainer from above.  This team isn't close and it doesn't pay to be "just" bad.  It pays to be the worst.

To Jolly Roger's first point about scouting, I think you are on the money.  I think this is largely where the NH regime failed (especially the last number of years).  The Pirates don't scout or develop as well as the better clubs.  This is ironic because this is a cheap place to invest and do better than the big clubs.

To that point, there are a lot or reasons to thing that the tides are changing the the BC regime.  Though is is early, BC's draft last year looks great.  Everyone knows Gonzalez and he has been good so far.  But their competitive balance pick, Carmen Mlodzinski has also been fantastic so far.  Second round Pick Jarred Jones (in a small sample size) has been good with a great K/IP.  Same with 3th round pick Nick Garcia.  Fifth round pick Logan Hofman has been even better than those two. 

As mentioned above, Roansy Contreras has been one of the better pitchers in all of the minors so far.  The trades that BC has made have been pretty successful in the early going.  Other than the MLB guys from the Musgrove trade, Head has been solid.  As has Endy Rodriguez and Omar Cruz is striking out well over a batter per inning.

I don't know how this will go in the long run, but this management team is already looking a lot better than the previous one in the place where the Pirates have to be elite. 

As much as I detest the Bucs and the way there are playing right now, I think that there is just a little flicker of light at the end of the tunnel.  Now it is up to BC to continue his great scouting and hopefully development throughout the system.  I do hope to be around when they are in contention not just for a wild card spot but a real contenders for the pennant. 

I really hope you are a young man.

SCBucco

Embrace the S*ck

Post by SCBucco »

43617669656A506B736A776C6D74040 wrote: I have zero confidence in not only the ownership, but also upper management, from the g.m. to the scouting department. Instead of trying to build with Frazier, Hayes, Reynolds, and Moran for the future, there is serious talk about trading 2 or 3 of them. That, and there bad drafts in the past five years, along with injuries to the last two number 1 picks, has me come to the realization that the team is snakebit. Now, instead of taking the best hitter and catcher in the draft, Davis, now there is talk about drafting another 18 year old shortstop. This team compares to the first year expansion Mets, from our version of Marvelous Marv, Craig, to the motley crew of outfielders and pitchers that are playing. I don’t even watch or listen to them anymore. Just read the results in the news. Waiting for football season. How anybody can defend this team is sad! Just can’t take more rebuilding.

Trading Frazier is the way to go. You may not like it, but he is playing well above what he is. Maximize his trade value when you can. The only two building blocks I see are Hayes and Reynolds. Maybe you can add Stallings since we have absolutely nothing close to being a solution behind the plate. Bednar can be our closer once RichRod is dealt, so ... there is another. You don't build with Frazier, you deal him.
mouse

Embrace the S*ck

Post by mouse »

I'm not sure they get much for Frazier. At the deadline pitchers are what most teams are looking for and willing to pay for.