Frank Coonelly Leaving?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Frank Coonelly Leaving?

Post by SammyKhalifa »

707C7D262F262E23243B21160 wrote: I wonder who the new president will be. Will he be a name which we have heard of in the past? Adam Berry has noted that Neal Huntington is not being promoted to President. How about a guy like Dave Dombrowski? Maybe a front office person from one of the successful small market teams like Tampa Bay.

jack zduriencik doesn't live too far away.
ScottinMass

Frank Coonelly Leaving?

Post by ScottinMass »

Apparently it is Travis Williams. Was COO of the Penguins for eight years and is now with the Islanders. So not a baseball guy.
Ecbucs

Frank Coonelly Leaving?

Post by Ecbucs »

65555942425F587B574545360 wrote: Apparently it is Travis Williams. Was COO of the Penguins for eight years and is now with the Islanders. So not a baseball guy.

this could be bad if he doesn't fire NH.

Possibly even more influence for Neal.
BenM

Frank Coonelly Leaving?

Post by BenM »

They have to stop the manager search until he's installed.

The Penguins' old bio of Williams worries me.

He now serves as the team's liaison with building manager AEG Facilities, working closely with AEG on all arena-related events, including major concerts and national-level sporting events.

A promotions guy with no baseball background? Neal is in the driver's seat now.
SteadyFreddy

Frank Coonelly Leaving?

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Read a tweet from Dejan who was the first to report Coonelly being out and pretty accurate that Neal Huntington will not be kept us Pirates GM. And also Bob Nuttings dad Ogden Nutting is very very upset at the way his son is running the team and giving his family a bad name. Very interesting stuff there. These next few weeks or so for the Pirates will be very very interesting.
SammyKhalifa

Frank Coonelly Leaving?

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Shows what I know, I thought Ogden Nutting was dead.
BenM

Frank Coonelly Leaving?

Post by BenM »

This offseason has been an absolute mess so far. Going back to when Hurdle was telling people he was going to return.
SteadyFreddy

Frank Coonelly Leaving?

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I think the first thing everybody wants to hear Travis Williams say at this press conference on Monday after he thanks Bob Nutting of course is my first step in being the new president of the Pirates is we are parting ways with Neal Huntington and searching for a new General Manager for the Pittsburgh Pirates. All signs right now point to that happening. I can’t see them hiring a new President and him keeping the same GM. I expect them to announce on Monday as well that Neal will not be retained and at that point that’s when the complete overhaul will begin.
DemDog

Frank Coonelly Leaving?

Post by DemDog »

4B6C7D797C615E6A7D7C7C61180 wrote: I think the first thing everybody wants to hear Travis Williams say at this press conference on Monday after he thanks Bob Nutting of course is my first step in being the new president of the Pirates is we are parting ways with Neal Huntington and searching for a new General Manager for the Pittsburgh Pirates. All signs right now point to that happening. I can’t see them hiring a new President and him keeping the same GM. I expect them to announce on Monday as well that Neal will not be retained and at that point that’s when the complete overhaul will begin.

For what it's worth and based on DK's article I don't think it will happen immediately. But you can bet your bottom $ that it may happen very soon. If Ogden Nutting's pressure on his son to quit dragging the Nutting name and reputation through the mud has any consequence it could lead that way. Here's hoping it does and that Williams and Bob do not stop there but decide to overhaul the player acquisition and development departments that will use current scouting and development techniques.
Bobster21

Frank Coonelly Leaving?

Post by Bobster21 »

My fear is that Williams could have been asked if he was comfortable with NH as a condition for taking the job. Williams is not a baseball man. How could he be expected to select a better GM and overhaul the organization with no knowledge of baseball, how things are done or who is best to do them? I've been reading that Coonelly took a hands on approach to the baseball side but that Williams will focus on the business aspects. I think a better GM is needed but I don't see how Williams is the guy to accomplish that.