Pirates vs Reds 5/29

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Tintin

Pirates vs Reds 5/29

Post by Tintin »

Nice work today by Brault. I think he has decent major league stuff when he’s not nibbling. He went after guys and used the slider as a kill pitch today.

Also, I’m giggling that both of those home runs are out just about anywhere in organized baseball. I’m glad we only have to go back to their phone booth once more this season.
Bobster21

Pirates vs Reds 5/29

Post by Bobster21 »

050D0E392F0A2D224C0 wrote: Say what you want about Jeff Locke, but he was HUGE in our 2013 WC run (made the AS team) and took the ball every five days in 2015. I'm pretty sure he didn't miss a start that year. If Brault could become Jeff Locke, that would be great. But, I don't see it. He walks too many guys. Today, he attacked the zone. Did a nice job. Just throw strikes. Kingham did the same thing on Monday. Again, did a nice job. At the start of this series, if I'd told you the Bucs would go 2-2, I'll bet most wouldn't have thunk they'd win the Kingham/Brault starts and lose the Lyles/Keller starts.
Before we give Locke too much credit, he did pitch 2 good games after the AS break but was pretty much a disaster after that. From 7/16 thru the end of the season he had an ERA of 6.12 with 70 hits and 39 ERs n 57.1 IP. In those 57.1 IP he walked 37 (5.8 walks per 9 IP). Locke's contribution in 2013 was very good early but also very temporary. In the 2nd half of the season he became a liability and remained a liability thru his prematurely ended career (due to ineffectiveness).
SteadyFreddy

Pirates vs Reds 5/29

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Nice job by Brault today pitching the way he did after the long delay. This was a win I feel the Pirates really needed to have after getting blown out the last two games and having that 1-5 homestand last week with the Rockies and Dodgers. You didn’t wanna lose 3 out of 4 to the Reds. Instead you were able to get this game today get back to .500 at 27-27 with two teams coming into your ballpark the next 7 games you are chasing for both wildcard spots going into June in the Brewers and Braves.
Bobster21

Pirates vs Reds 5/29

Post by Bobster21 »

597E6F6B6E734C786F6E6E730A0 wrote: Nice job by Brault today pitching the way he did after the long delay. This was a win I feel the Pirates really needed to have after getting blown out the last two games and having that 1-5 homestand last week with the Rockies and Dodgers. You didn’t wanna lose 3 out of 4 to the Reds. Instead you were able to get this game  today get back to .500 at 27-27 with two teams coming into your ballpark the next 7 games you are chasing for both wildcard spots going into June in the Brewers and Braves.
In his previous game when he entered in the 1st after opener Feliz had lost the game after 0.1 innings, Brault pitched 5.2 and gave up 2 runs. So after this start with 5.1 shutout innings, he's now given up only 2 runs in his last 11 innings. Prior to these last 2 games he had an ERA of 8.24. I hope he's figured something out and that these 2 games aren't an aberration. It's hard to have any confidence in Brault because of his lengthy record of poor pitching, but it sure would be nice if he could become even just an average MLB pitcher instead of a liability. Let's hope he builds on these 2 games.
SammyKhalifa

Pirates vs Reds 5/29

Post by SammyKhalifa »

5F727F6E69786F2F2C1D0 wrote: Say what you want about Jeff Locke, but he was HUGE in our 2013 WC run (made the AS team) and took the ball every five days in 2015. I'm pretty sure he didn't miss a start that year. If Brault could become Jeff Locke, that would be great. But, I don't see it. He walks too many guys. Today, he attacked the zone. Did a nice job. Just throw strikes. Kingham did the same thing on Monday. Again, did a nice job. At the start of this series, if I'd told you the Bucs would go 2-2, I'll bet most wouldn't have thunk they'd win the Kingham/Brault starts and lose the Lyles/Keller starts.
Before we give Locke too much credit, he did pitch 2 good games after the AS break but was pretty much a disaster after that. From 7/16 thru the end of the season he had an ERA of 6.12 with 70 hits and 39 ERs n 57.1 IP.  In those 57.1 IP he walked 37 (5.8 walks per 9 IP). Locke's contribution in 2013 was very good early but also very temporary. In the 2nd half of the season he became a liability and remained a liability thru his prematurely ended career (due to ineffectiveness). 

At this point if we could get a bad Jeff Locke that could go 6IP I might take it.
MaineBucs

Pirates vs Reds 5/29

Post by MaineBucs »

After yesterday's game, Brault has now risen to the status of staff ace.