A Second Slow Free Agent Offseason

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Quail

Post by Quail »

6864653E373E363B3C23390E0 wrote: I appreciate the idea of paying for production at the later ages. How do you all feel about the players, when they are young and productive, being locked into a fixed six-year salary scale? It would seem that may be unfair in the other direction.

I feel like the only "fair" solution to these issues would be a restructuring of MLB's CBA and team payroll standards. However, since the Players Union signed off on the current CBA which put this system in place, I can't feel too badly for the players. 

Couple more offseasons like the past two and the Players Union will want some major changes to the next CBA. A work stoppage in my opinion would not be out of the question.

I believe you're right. I think a work stoppage is coming.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7357434B4E220 wrote: I appreciate the idea of paying for production at the later ages. How do you all feel about the players, when they are young and productive, being locked into a fixed six-year salary scale? It would seem that may be unfair in the other direction.

I feel like the only "fair" solution to these issues would be a restructuring of MLB's CBA and team payroll standards. However, since the Players Union signed off on the current CBA which put this system in place, I can't feel too badly for the players. 

Couple more offseasons like the past two and the Players Union will want some major changes to the next CBA. A work stoppage in my opinion would not be out of the question.

I'm glad to see the owners starting to show some degree, however slight, of sanity. When tens or even hundreds of millions are not enough for some players, there's a major problem in the system. The argument is always that the players are entitled to whatever they can get. And that's fine as long as "whatever they can get" is not defined as an infinite, limitless amount. Maybe the owners are now sensing that at some point it's ok to say "no" and that it's ok if there's a limit to "all you can get."
BenM

Post by BenM »

4E636E7F78697E3E3D0C0 wrote: I appreciate the idea of paying for production at the later ages. How do you all feel about the players, when they are young and productive, being locked into a fixed six-year salary scale? It would seem that may be unfair in the other direction.

I'm glad to see the owners starting to show some degree, however slight, of sanity. When tens or even hundreds of millions are not enough for some players, there's a major problem in the system. The argument is always that the players are entitled to whatever they can get. And that's fine as long as "whatever they can get" is not defined as an infinite, limitless amount. Maybe the owners are now sensing that at some point it's ok to say "no" and that it's ok if there's a limit to "all you can get." 

It's not an infinite amount. For years player compensation has been about fifty percent of league revenues. According to MLB, the MLBPA and outsider observer 538. That puts it right in line with the NBA, NFL and NBA in their respective CBAs. And there are some that argue that the players are making less than that, in the low 40s.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

63444F6C210 wrote: I appreciate the idea of paying for production at the later ages. How do you all feel about the players, when they are young and productive, being locked into a fixed six-year salary scale? It would seem that may be unfair in the other direction.

It's not an infinite amount. For years player compensation has been about fifty percent of league revenues. According to MLB, the MLBPA and outsider observer 538. That puts it right in line with the NBA, NFL and NBA in their respective CBAs. And there are some that argue that the players are making less than that, in the low 40s.

Yes, that's total player compensation. I'm talking individual negotiations of the superstars. Stanton gets a 325 million contract. Others get hundreds of millions. MLB has been headed that way for years and there seemed to be no limit on what owners were willing to pay until recently.
GermanTownship

Post by GermanTownship »

If need be, shut down baseball for a year until a true salary cap is put in place. That way, all teams would have a chance, just like those in hockey and football.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

1A382F303C3309322A332E35342D5D0 wrote: If need be, shut down baseball for a year until a true salary cap is put in place. That way, all teams would have a chance, just like those in hockey and football.
As much as I would miss baseball, especially the Pirates,if shutting down the sport would even the playing field I would accept that.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

444849121B121A17100F15220 wrote: If need be, shut down baseball for a year until a true salary cap is put in place. That way, all teams would have a chance, just like those in hockey and football.
As much as I would miss baseball, especially the Pirates,if shutting down the sport would even the playing field I would accept that.

See, I don't think the revenue sharing thing will ever be fixed though. And that's the real issue. Why would the dodgers split up their 8 billion dollar TV deal?
mouse

Post by mouse »

On the slow free agent offseason issue, I note there were a number of signings today - one year deals. Things may start opening up a bit.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

73716B6D7B1E0 wrote: On the slow free agent offseason issue, I note there were a number of signings today - one year deals. Things may start opening up a bit.
I sure hope the Pirates join other teams, and sign a couple players who could help their team. I like our pitching, but it seems the other teams in the division have added players which have made their teams better, and our few additions do not compare to those teams additions.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

1632262E2B470 wrote: I appreciate the idea of paying for production at the later ages. How do you all feel about the players, when they are young and productive, being locked into a fixed six-year salary scale? It would seem that may be unfair in the other direction.

I would gladly accept a work stoppage if it meant that a salary floor would be put in to force Nutting to put a competitive team on the field or sell the team