Spring Training Stats

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Spring Training Stats

Post by SammyKhalifa »

36372C3D2B6B6C580 wrote:

Cervelli and Kang will contribute, hopefully Bell, Moran and Chisenhall find ways to help the team win.

This line of thinking still strikes me as odd--that Kang is more or less a "sure thing" while Bell will disappoint.  Bell has "done it" more recently than Kang has, if anything I'd give them both about an equal chance of mounting a comeback.
I think it is more likely that Kang hits for power, whereas Bell we aren't sure about.
I mean that's odd though, as Bell had more than 25 HRs two years ago (more than Kang has ever had in a ML season).  Yeah that was more than a season ago but Kang's good seasons were longer ago than that.

Last year was not great for Bell, but at least he was engaged in athletic activity. 

I don't know if either or both or neither of them have a comeback year, but people are waiting to show Bell out the door while Kang is almost the Shiny New Toy (though not actually new).
dmetz

Spring Training Stats

Post by dmetz »

7F4D41415567444D40454A4D2C0 wrote:

Cervelli and Kang will contribute, hopefully Bell, Moran and Chisenhall find ways to help the team win.

This line of thinking still strikes me as odd--that Kang is more or less a "sure thing" while Bell will disappoint.  Bell has "done it" more recently than Kang has, if anything I'd give them both about an equal chance of mounting a comeback.

Just FYI, you can add up Bell's full career bWAR and it doesn't equal the bWAR of Kang's 103 games in 2016.

Or we can remove Bell's 2016 completely since it's a -0.5 bWAR.

Doing that, his 307 games / 1200 plate appearances has created the same bWAR as Kang's 103 games/ 370 PA in 2016.

1 of these guys has indeed done it before.
SammyKhalifa

Spring Training Stats

Post by SammyKhalifa »

747D75646A100 wrote:

Just FYI, you can add up Bell's full career bWAR and it doesn't equal the bWAR of Kang's 103 games in 2016.   

Or we can remove Bell's 2016 completely since it's a -0.5 bWAR.   

Doing that, his 307 games / 1200 plate appearances has created the same bWAR as Kang's 103 games/ 370 PA in 2016.

1 of these guys has indeed done it before. 

Well that is my point.

In 2016.

Kang's best year was definitely better than Bell's to be sure though. 

I am hoping for the best but why are people acting like the one guy's game rounding into form is inevitable and other nearly impossible?
OrlandoMerced

Spring Training Stats

Post by OrlandoMerced »

What is going on with Kyle Crick?

I'm not sure they can carry him in the major league bullpen at this point.
Bobster21

Spring Training Stats

Post by Bobster21 »

For what it's worth, here are complete ST stats:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/PIT/2019.shtml
SyrBucco

Spring Training Stats

Post by SyrBucco »

1528363B343E35173F28393F3E5A0 wrote: What is going on with Kyle Crick?

I'm not sure they can carry him in the major league bullpen at this point.
To further aggravate me, Jordan Lyles is getting lit up by a Phillie split squad in his final ST appearance. I wish the Bucs would give the 5th starter job to Kingham, and send Lyles to the bullpen so that we can give Crick some low leverage pitching until he starts to figure it out.
BenM

Spring Training Stats

Post by BenM »

I didn't realize that Gift Ngoepe's brother Victor was still with the organization. Unfortunately he looks even more "no hit" than his brother.