Time to Call the Phillies

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BenM

Post by BenM »

CBS Sports has Marte first on their list.

They are so high on him, they wonder if the Phillies would have enough to make a deal.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

06212A09440 wrote: CBS Sports has Marte first on their list.

They are so high on him, they wonder if the Phillies would have enough to make a deal.

no mention of what Phillies might have to deal. Would have been nice to have seen some names.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Here is a quote from that article -- "...Philadelphia has a pedestrian farm system..." Not too promising.
maher.timothy20@gm

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

43717D7D695B78717C797671100 wrote: I would not close the door on a deal but I think people are over-down on Marte.  Most of it seems based on optics and people staring into their TV and reading a player's mind to know that they "don't care."  The lapses are there on tape but I'd never be so bold as to say I know what a player's internal thoughts are. 

Despite the issues (and have no doubt it's an off year so far) he's still on pace to steal ~30 bags and hit 20 HRs.  I wish all players were so unproductive.

Bingo. It's easy to focus on the negatives of your own players. Marte is a finished product now, so you know what you've got, but that's pretty good. Don't forget about the runs he saves on defense. And without him, what's your outfield next year? Polanco, Reynolds (who may yet go into a tailspin) and ????
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

69656C61762A706D696B706C7D3634446369040 wrote: I would not close the door on a deal but I think people are over-down on Marte.  Most of it seems based on optics and people staring into their TV and reading a player's mind to know that they "don't care."  The lapses are there on tape but I'd never be so bold as to say I know what a player's internal thoughts are. 

Despite the issues (and have no doubt it's an off year so far) he's still on pace to steal ~30 bags and hit 20 HRs.  I wish all players were so unproductive.

Bingo. It's easy to focus on the negatives of your own players. Marte is a finished product now, so you know what you've got, but that's pretty good. Don't forget about the runs he saves on defense. And without him, what's your outfield next year? Polanco, Reynolds (who may yet go into a tailspin) and ????

and Schuck, or Will Craig if they think he can handle it. If Marte is dealt there needs to be a good return.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

We all get frustrated with Marte, but he has massive physical skills. He is essentially a lock for 3.5-4.5 WAR. I warmed to the idea of trading him earlier this season but the return will have to be very good. If he gets traded I would hope they look to keep Dickerson around past this season.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Trading Marte would seem to be quite the dumb thing to do.

Polanco is still kind of an enigma, Dickerson is a FA after this year, Reynolds hasn't reached 150 MLB at bats yet and Jason Martin is really the only OFer in AAA that is much of a prospect at this point.

Marte has been really good for almost a month after the slow start, I can't think of a worse thing for them to do to crater this season and also harm their chances in 2020 than by trading Marte.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

4D706E636C666D4F6770616766020 wrote: Trading Marte would seem to be quite the dumb thing to do.

Polanco is still kind of an enigma, Dickerson is a FA after this year, Reynolds hasn't reached 150 MLB at bats yet and Jason Martin is really the only OFer in AAA that is much of a prospect at this point.

Marte has been really good for almost a month after the slow start, I can't think of a worse thing for them to do to crater this season and also harm their chances in 2020 than by trading Marte.

Despite his apparent show of laziness or who gives a crap attitude sometimes, it is not Martes performance or lack thereof that is killing this team. It is the pitching that is keeping the Bucs from being serious contenders for the division lead.

I say keep Marte for the same reasons you do.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

7C5D557C575F380 wrote: Trading Marte would seem to be quite the dumb thing to do.

Despite his apparent show of laziness or who gives a crap attitude sometimes, it is not Martes performance or lack thereof that is killing this team.  It is the pitching that is keeping the Bucs from being serious contenders for the division lead. 

I basically agree like I said on the previous page, but that's also why I would listen if some team offers up a decent SP. 
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6A5854544072515855505F58390 wrote: Trading Marte would seem to be quite the dumb thing to do.

Despite his apparent show of laziness or who gives a crap attitude sometimes, it is not Martes performance or lack thereof that is killing this team.  It is the pitching that is keeping the Bucs from being serious contenders for the division lead. 

I basically agree like I said on the previous page, but that's also why I would listen if some team offers up a decent SP. 
I agree. It's not as if they should just unload Marte. He's probably their most talented overall player. But his occasional laziness and lack of paying attention is very frustrating. Still, most players who try harder than Marte will not accomplish as much. But they have a real need at starting pitching and Marte should have significant trade value. I think the need for pitching outweighs the need to keep Marte so if a trade could be worked out that benefited the Bucs I'd be for it. Unfortunately, I suppose a lot of pitchers other teams would feel were fair compensation for Marte (i.e., quality pitchers) would have contracts larger than the Pirates would be willing to pay. The Pirates have a need for pitching NOW. Trading for low wage prospects won't help them now and would only weaken the OF.