If ...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

rucker59@gmail.com

If ...

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

02232B022921460 wrote: Watching Musgrove tonight makes it hard to feel bad about the Cole trade.

Yeah. Personally, I like Musgrove in a Pirate’s uniform better than I liked Cole.  I’m not saying Joe is better than Cole, just a better Pirate.

He pitches with intensity and plays with enthusiasm. I even get a kick out of watching him hit. It seems he loves being in the NL.

And I think he also loves being a starter.  With that opportunity Musgrove seems to want to make the best of it and gives his all at every opportunity to prove that is the role in which he belongs.

He’s got a lot of Batman in him. Just a fierce competitor like AJ.
maher.timothy20@gm

If ...

Post by maher.timothy20@gm »

Also small sample size but over the last 7 starts Musgrove has been a little better than Cole. And that's even with Musgrove having a couple of weak starts in a row, giving up four runs in the first inning etc.

Cole: 41.2 IP

Musgrove: 43.1 IP

Cole: 38 hits

Musgrove: 39 hits

Cole: 18 runs

Musgrove: 17 runs

Cole: 11 BB

Musgrove: 4 BB

Cole: 57 SO

Musgrove: 36 SO

Cole: 1.18 WHIP

Musgrove: 0.99 WHIP

rucker59@gmail.com

If ...

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

464A434E59055F4246445F4352191B6B4C462B0 wrote: Also small sample size but over the last 7 starts Musgrove has been a little better than Cole. And that's even with Musgrove having a couple of weak starts in a row, giving up four runs in the first inning etc.

Cole: 41.2 IP

Musgrove: 43.1 IP

Cole: 38 hits

Musgrove: 39 hits

Cole: 18 runs

Musgrove: 17 runs

Cole: 11 BB

Musgrove: 4 BB

Cole: 57 SO

Musgrove: 36 SO

Cole: 1.18 WHIP

Musgrove: 0.99 WHIP

SSS, yes. But that’s very impressive.
MaineBucs

If ...

Post by MaineBucs »

Also, as good as Cole has been with the Astros, his 2015 season with the Pirates was in many respects more valuable to the Pirates.

Cole won 19 games with the Pirates in 2015. To date, he has won only 13 games with the Astros. Cole tantalized all of us in 2015 with what his future could be with the Bucs. Injuries really seemed to slow him in 2016, and he appeared to be drifting in 2017.

I am glad that Cole has again found his mojo with the Astros. But, still need to see if he can replicate such for several seasons in a row or if 2018 is the equivalent of his 2015 season with the Bucs.
Bobster21

If ...

Post by Bobster21 »

It's ironic that Cole and Morton thrived when they got to the Astros but Musgrove did very poorly as a starter there. Musgrove had to go to the Pirates to thrive.
SCBucco

If ...

Post by SCBucco »

5B5C4A424C5B1C10694E44484045074A4644290 wrote: Watching Musgrove tonight makes it hard to feel bad about the Cole trade.

Yeah. Personally, I like Musgrove in a Pirate’s uniform better than I liked Cole.  I’m not saying Joe is better than Cole, just a better Pirate.

Musgrove is a fierce competitor. I'm not saying Cole wasn't a competitor. Gerritt couldn't get over the hump when things went south in a game. He couldn't just forget a bad pitch ... it lingered.
maher.timothy20@gm

If ...

1909083F2929254A0 wrote: Watching Musgrove tonight makes it hard to feel bad about the Cole trade.

Musgrove is a fierce competitor.  I'm not saying Cole wasn't a competitor.  Gerritt couldn't get over the hump when things went south in a game.  He couldn't just forget a bad pitch ... it lingered.

This why I won't be surprised if he implodes in the playoffs. Not rooting for it, but it won't surprise me.
DemDog

If ...

Post by DemDog »

4F434A47500C564B4F4D564A5B101262454F220 wrote: Watching Musgrove tonight makes it hard to feel bad about the Cole trade.

Musgrove is a fierce competitor.  I'm not saying Cole wasn't a competitor.  Gerritt couldn't get over the hump when things went south in a game.  He couldn't just forget a bad pitch ... it lingered.

This why I won't be surprised if he implodes in the playoffs. Not rooting for it, but it won't surprise me.

Nothing is impossible in the playoffs. Bob Friend in 1960. Barry Bonds in the early 90's. But that is one possibility that I would be very happy to be possible.
maher.timothy20@gm

If ...

Not only is it possible, it already happened in '15 v. Cubs.
RichD

If ...

Post by RichD »

Cole never wanted to be a Pirate from day #1 .Plus we didn't give him a raise and actually paid him less one year . It was easy to see he need a change of scenery .Just like Verlander who I said we should try to get last year. Just like Hamels who I said were should of went after this year. Morton was given a solid contract by the Bucs but was always hurt.We need a lefty real bad .