Crash and LaLoosh get scouted

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

5F57546375507778160 wrote: One of my personal favorites was the Rookie. Great true story about Jimmy Morris.

I meant to add this one too. My son and I saw it while spending the night at Potomac Nats stadium on Scouting night.

UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

Gotta laugh coming back to this thread today. I didn't realize it would turn into a movie thread.

One of my favorite baseball movies is this real obscure B-movie called Pastime.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105109/

If you ever run into it be sure to watch it. I think it is a hidden baseball treasure.

Take a look at the cast and Ernie Banks, Killebrew, Feller, Duke Snider and Maz all make cameos. Whoever wrote this little gem loves baseball. And the storyline is a good one.

For the Love of the Game hasn't been mentioned, but I really like how the story is told through flashbacks during the course of a game. Of course, Costner can do no wrong for me acting as a baseball player, because he actually makes a believable one. #3 in the Costner trilogy of Bull Durham and Field of Dreams, which are great, I still think it's a good baseball tale.
BenM

Post by BenM »

163031263020530 wrote:

I've still never seen the original Angels in the Outfield all the way through.

The Natural always bugs me since the movie ending is totally opposite of the book (I had read the book for a literature class in high school).

Angels in the Outfield (1951) is an OK movie elevated by the fact that it was filmed in Pittsburgh (I read that Bing Crosby, who was one of the owners, helped produce the film.), you get to see Forbes Field and. . .

The Pirates with the pennant! The Pirates win the pennant!

As for The Natural, it's been a long time since I read the book. Wasn't Roy a lot meaner than in the movie?

Fences is a genuinely good movie that's kind of about baseball and definitely about Pittsburgh.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

12353E1D500 wrote:

The Natural always bugs me since the movie ending is totally opposite of the book (I had read the book for a literature class in high school).

Angels in the Outfield (1951) is an OK movie elevated by the fact that it was filmed in Pittsburgh (I read that Bing Crosby, who was one of the owners, helped produce the film.), you get to see Forbes Field and. . .

As for The Natural, it's been a long time since I read the book. Wasn't Roy a lot meaner than in the movie?

Fences is a genuinely good movie that's kind of about baseball and definitely about Pittsburgh.

In the Natural Roy started off arrogant, then got shot, I don't remember for sure that he was mean but he was at least aloof.

In the end though he was banned from baseball and all his records stricken. I couldn't get over that since that didn't even happen to Shoeless Joe.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

5E78796E78681B0 wrote:

In the Natural Roy started off arrogant, then got shot, I don't remember for sure that he was mean but he was at least aloof.

In the end though he was banned from baseball and all his records stricken.  I couldn't get over that since that didn't even happen to Shoeless Joe.

He threw the game and struck out, right?
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

52606C6C784A69606D686760010 wrote:

In the end though he was banned from baseball and all his records stricken.  I couldn't get over that since that didn't even happen to Shoeless Joe.

He threw the game and struck out, right?

I think he changed his mind about throwing the game but still struck out.
iabucco

Post by iabucco »

Anyone like the movie Long Gone, with William Peterson and Virginia Madsen?  I always liked that movie.  But a good list of movies.  Also, if you haven't watched it, the Battered Bastards of Baseball is a pretty good documentary about an independent minor league team. 
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

0800031402020E610 wrote: Anyone like the movie Long Gone, with William Peterson and Virginia Madsen?  I always liked that movie.  But a good list of movies.  Also, if you haven't watched it, the Battered Bastards of Baseball is a pretty good documentary about an independent minor league team. 

The Battered Bastard's of Baseball is one good doc. It is about Bing Russell a longtime supporting actor and father or Kurt Russell (aka Mr. Goldie Hawn). Bing really loved baseball. Google it and to find more info.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4B6A624B60680F0 wrote: Anyone like the movie Long Gone, with William Peterson and Virginia Madsen?  I always liked that movie.  But a good list of movies.  Also, if you haven't watched it, the Battered Bastards of Baseball is a pretty good documentary about an independent minor league team. 

The Battered Bastard's of Baseball is one good doc.  It is about Bing Russell a longtime supporting actor and father or Kurt Russell (aka Mr. Goldie Hawn).  Bing really loved baseball.  Google it and to find more info.

Bing Russell had a small part in my favorite western, the original Magnificent 7. He was one of the two stagecoach passengers in the beginning who hire Yul Brynner and Steve McQueen to drive a hearse to Boot Hill.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5A7B735A71791E0 wrote: Anyone like the movie Long Gone, with William Peterson and Virginia Madsen?  I always liked that movie.  But a good list of movies.  Also, if you haven't watched it, the Battered Bastards of Baseball is a pretty good documentary about an independent minor league team. 

The Battered Bastard's of Baseball is one good doc.  It is about Bing Russell a longtime supporting actor and father or Kurt Russell (aka Mr. Goldie Hawn).  Bing really loved baseball.  Google it and to find more info.

Great advice, Possum! I watched it last night. What a story! :)