Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Steve19981

The New Starting Rotation

Post by Steve19981 »

1. Cole

2. Taillon

3. Nova

4. Vogelsong

The above are pretty much in according to the post deadline press conference. The fifth is totally open. Unless Locke posts another CG against the Braves, I think he's done. My best guess would be Kuhl or Glasnow. If Brault had the inside track, they wouldn't have optioned him.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I'd give Kuhl another shot seeing that the last game he pitched in DC about 3 weeks ago was very solid. Glasnow looks like he is ready to come back soon as well as he has began throwing again and his DL stint ends this weekend. I'd rather see both of those guys in the rotation splitting time for the rest of the season then guys like Locke and Vogelsong. Especially after what happened yesterday when you basically said by making the moves that you made that you really truly aren't serious about winning this season. I don't get why Huntington and Hurdle are so obsessed with giving Jeff Locke so many more chances to prove himself.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

6E49585C59447B4F585959443D0 wrote: I don't get why Huntington and Hurdle are so obsessed with giving Jeff Locke so many more chances to prove himself.

I think it makes sense if they don't think Glasnow, Kuhl, and Brault are ready.  Glasnow, of course, has things to work on.  Despite their major league results, Kuhl only has 83 innings in Triple A and Brault only has 50.  Obviously, I could be 100% wrong, but to me it looks like Nova was brought in specifically to make sure that there wasn't a gap in the rotation that these guys would have an opportunity to fill.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I still can't believe we are giving the Yankees 2 prospects for 2 months of Nova, and I know good and well when those 2 names are announced we are not going to be happy.

SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

4E7D6160636B5D607B677C7B6A66610F0 wrote: I don't get why Huntington and Hurdle are so obsessed with giving Jeff Locke so many more chances to prove himself.

I think it makes sense if they don't think Glasnow, Kuhl, and Brault are ready.  Glasnow, of course, has things to work on.  Despite their major league results, Kuhl only has 83 innings in Triple A and Brault only has 50.  Obviously, I could be 100% wrong, but to me it looks like Nova was brought in specifically to make sure that there wasn't a gap in the rotation that these guys would have an opportunity to fill.

Well if they aren't ready then this is where Huntington has to do a better job of going out and acquiring starting pitching that is better then guys like Locke, Vogelsong, Niese, Nicasio etc.. Whether he does that by making a trade and parting with some top prospects, or whether he has to go out and maybe spend a little bit more then what is required he needs to quit talking about it and saying I need to do a better job and actually go be bold for a change and do it. We were discussing this back in November and December about how the Pirates can improve this rotation and here we are 8-9 months later and the problem still isn't resolved yet.

Just don't sit there if your Huntington and insult my intelligence like he did yesterday and tell me you are serious about still making a run at a playoff spot when you still have guys like Locke and Vogelsong in your rotation in early August when you are still just 3.5 games out of a playoff spot. 
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I did hear that Hutchison wouldn't be with the team until August 30th. I didn't know why. Now, it makes sense.

For you people that keep saying Nutting won't spend money on a starter as they need another Liriano and Burnett for next year, both Liriano and Burnett were brought in as free agents. So, there goes that theory!

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

4C6E7D606366616E4D7A6C6C600F0 wrote: I still can't believe we are giving the Yankees 2 prospects for 2 months of Nova, and I know good and well when those 2 names are announced we are not going to be happy.

The Yankees look at this as a gift. I can't believe the Bucs think enough of him that they are willing to pay his salary and send prospects even if they turn out to be really non-prospects. Part of the money they are saving from Liriano is going to Nova.
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Well, this truly is a transition year. Disappointed in Huntington not being able to pry Matt Moore or Jake Ordozzi from D-Rays, but dealing with them has never been easy. Hope there are better days ahead as this season is so up and down. Not as bad as the past seasons of loosing, but the club is definitely not a contender.

Beat'em Bucs 8-)