9/8 vs Miami

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Quail

9/8 vs Miami

Post by Quail »

755744595A5F58577443555559360 wrote: I would definitely NOT get rid of Nova. He is a solid MLB starter and would slot in as a No. 4 or 5 on a really good team. Maybe even on this team next year.

This franchise is desperate for more stating pitching depth, and I don't think we should be in a hurry to get rid of a solid veteran like Nova. This team cannot afford to be letting solid starting pitching walk out the door.

While I think Nova is a useful pitcher I would clear his $9.1M salary if it meant adding that money toward an upgrade to the offense. With a rotation top 4 of Taillon, Williams, Archer and Musgrove in 2019, I'd take my chances that among Kingham, Kuhl, Keller and Brault we could replace Nova's contribution without too much difficulty. We've got pitching depth, what we don't have is an impact bat.
SCBucco

9/8 vs Miami

Post by SCBucco »

Polanco out for the year.
SCBucco

9/8 vs Miami

Post by SCBucco »

0E2A3E36335F0 wrote: I would definitely NOT get rid of Nova. He is a solid MLB starter and would slot in as a No. 4 or 5 on a really good team. Maybe even on this team next year.

This franchise is desperate for more stating pitching depth, and I don't think we should be in a hurry to get rid of a solid veteran like Nova. This team cannot afford to be letting solid starting pitching walk out the door.

While I think Nova is a useful pitcher I would clear his $9.1M salary if it meant adding that money toward an upgrade to the offense. With a rotation top 4 of Taillon, Williams, Archer and Musgrove in 2019, I'd take my chances that among Kingham, Kuhl, Keller and Brault we could replace Nova's contribution without too much difficulty. We've got pitching depth, what we don't have is an impact bat. 

I can go either way here. Nova is an enigma on the mound. He can be very good ... then ...

I don't like Brault as a starter. Not sure about Kingham to be honest. Keller? He will go through growing pains. Kuhl? eh ... always thought he would be more effective in the bullpen.

I'm not seeing a major addition to the offense. Absent the big names on the market we can't touch, most of this FA class sucks. Moustakas might be the lone guy we could get that isn't average to bad.
CarolinaBucco

9/8 vs Miami

Post by CarolinaBucco »

We have pitching depth ... but we don't have GOOD pitching depth.

We all know that if the Pirates let Nova go to save the $9.1 million, they will NOT re-invest the $9.1 million in order to go out and sign good players.

I would keep Nova AND go out and sign a LH starter like Happ or someone similar, but that will never happen.
Quail

9/8 vs Miami

Post by Quail »

7351425F5C595E51724553535F300 wrote: We have pitching depth ... but we don't have GOOD pitching depth.

We all know that if the Pirates let Nova go to save the $9.1 million, they will NOT re-invest the $9.1 million in order to go out and sign good players.

I would keep Nova AND go out and sign a LH starter like Happ or someone similar, but that will never happen.

I could go for replacing Nova (and his salary) with a lefty starter like Happ or an impact bat. If there's an unwillingness by Pirate management to reinvest those payroll dollars then keeping Nova (at worst) provides good pitching depth and makes sense. He's got value, but I think addressing what I see as either of our two biggest needs would, on balance, be worth losing what Nova brings if that's what it would take.
RichD

9/8 vs Miami

Post by RichD »

Kuhl would be a stud in the bullpen . Nova we keep, better than the crap prospect we would get for him, he holds his own as a #5.

Luplow should get every AB till the season ends. Needs to work on some 1b/3b in offseason.Played 3rd in college .This guy needs a real chance .
DemDog

9/8 vs Miami

Post by DemDog »

457E747F53170 wrote: Kuhl would be a stud in the bullpen . Nova we keep, better than the crap prospect we would get for him, he holds his own as a #5.

Luplow should get every AB till the season ends. Needs to work on some 1b/3b in offseason.Played 3rd in college .This guy needs a real chance .

I'm with ya on Luplow playing as much as possible. Never thought about 1B-3B but you are right he has played there some in college. Maybe he can play some winter ball and workout at those 2 positions. Gives him more flexibility in the field.
Bobster21

9/8 vs Miami

Post by Bobster21 »

5 wins in a row. .500! Does that mean it's time for another Clay Holmes start? :D