A sad sign

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Quail

A sad sign

Post by Quail »

5A4A4B7C6A6A66090 wrote: Off the top of my head, I'd say Bedard was a worse signing, but again not much money. 

I actually thought at the time, that Bedard signing was going to be a good one.

So did I. When he got off to a good start with his first couple of starts I started to toot my own horn. Didn't take long for me to realize I was playing in the wrong key. Ugh.
ChitownBucco

A sad sign

Post by ChitownBucco »

a two year 10.5 million dollar mistake has to be the smallest blunder from any team in MLB on that list right?

at least we don't have one of those 6-10 year hundrends of million dollar deals like Pujols
mouse

A sad sign

Post by mouse »

A sader sign -- the MLB network has just had Tylor Glasnow on as a guest announcer and the trade has come up. He is extremely well spoken and certainly comes across a nice guy.
Bobster21

A sad sign

Post by Bobster21 »

67657F796F0A0 wrote: A sader sign -- the MLB network has just had Tylor Glasnow on as a guest announcer and the trade has come up. He is extremely well spoken and certainly comes across a nice guy.
And he said both he and Cole had been told to nibble at the corners with the Pirates.
Buccobill

A sad sign

Post by Buccobill »

this is to benM.

that was a great line. Here is another one. Bruce keiden referring to a James Harrison play "he pulled a Lindsay lohan,he came in high and late." It went something like that.
IABucFan

A sad sign

Post by IABucFan »

7C515C4D4A5B4C0C0F3E0 wrote: A sader sign -- the MLB network has just had Tylor Glasnow on as a guest announcer and the trade has come up. He is extremely well spoken and certainly comes across a nice guy.
And he said both he and Cole had been told to nibble at the corners with the Pirates.

Wow. I don't want guys to groove fastballs right down the middle. This is the big leagues, after all. But even in BP, a coach is grooving you meat balls right on a platter, and guys still pop them up, sky them to the warning track, etc. The more I think about it, the more I think coming right at a guy is the right approach to pitching. Just give him your best and if he hits it, he hits it. These guys all flourishing away from Pittsburgh is the biggest indictment against the previous regime.
Bobster21

A sad sign

Post by Bobster21 »

191112253316313E500 wrote: A sader sign -- the MLB network has just had Tylor Glasnow on as a guest announcer and the trade has come up. He is extremely well spoken and certainly comes across a nice guy.

Wow. I don't want guys to groove fastballs right down the middle. This is the big leagues, after all. But even in BP, a coach is grooving you meat balls right on a platter, and guys still pop them up, sky them to the warning track, etc. The more I think about it, the more I think coming right at a guy is the right approach to pitching. Just give him your best and if he hits it, he hits it. These guys all flourishing away from Pittsburgh is the biggest indictment against the previous regime.
So true. And it shows the pitcher that the coaches have no confidence that he can get batters out unless they are barely hitting the corners. And the pitcher won't have confidence if he thinks the coaches don't believe he can get the job done. When I watched Glasnow pitch for Tampa, he was getting swings and misses on 97 mph fastballs over the plate but just high or just low. At that speed the batter has no time to react and decide to take the pitch even if it's going to be called too high or too low. And after getting ahead of hitters, he was throwing low and away curves that got swings and misses. But when he was consistently behind in the count with the Pirates, those low and away pitches weren't tempting.