Is It Time To Make A Managerial Change

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I am sure Bob Nutting does not want to play another manager, but I think it is time we need a new leader in the dugout. This year we have had an 8 and two 7 game losing streaks. Sure there have been injuries this season, but a new voice may be needed for this team. Jeff Banister is on the payroll as an assistant to Neal Huntington, so make him interim manager for the remainder of this season.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7874752E272E262B2C33291E0 wrote: I am sure Bob Nutting does not want to play another manager, but I think it is time we need a new leader in the dugout. This year we have had an 8 and two 7 game losing streaks. Sure there have been injuries this season, but a new voice may be needed for this team. Jeff Banister is on the payroll as an assistant to Neal Huntington, so make him interim manager for the remainder of this season.
Nutting doesn't care.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

626E6F343D343C31362933040 wrote: I am sure Bob Nutting does not want to play another manager, but I think it is time we need a new leader in the dugout. This year we have had an 8 and two 7 game losing streaks. Sure there have been injuries this season, but a new voice may be needed for this team. Jeff Banister is on the payroll as an assistant to Neal Huntington, so make him interim manager for the remainder of this season.

You aren't getting one. Nutting is making money regardless if he has a crappy team.
GermanTownship

Post by GermanTownship »

No manager in baseball can change the fortunes of this trainwreck. The Pirates are becoming irrelevant in baseball. The people that continue to attend home games are only putting more money in Nutting's pocket. Change has to start at the top. Plus, the blame for the problems in baseball are shared equally between ownership and the players. What baseball should do is shut down for a year until a realistic plan is put in place, just like in professional football and hockey. That way, every team has a chance. The owners had the opportunity to rectify this when the players cancelled not only the remainder of the season at the All Star break in 1994, including the World Series, but also causing the demise of the Montreal Expos.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

2507100F030C360D150C110A0B12620 wrote: No manager in baseball can change the fortunes of this trainwreck. The Pirates are becoming irrelevant in baseball. The people that continue to attend home games are only putting more money in Nutting's pocket. Change has to start at the top. Plus, the blame for the problems in baseball are shared equally between ownership and the players. What baseball should do is shut down for a year until a realistic plan is put in place, just like in professional football and hockey. That way, every team has a chance. The owners had the opportunity to rectify this when the players cancelled not only the remainder of the season at the All Star break in 1994, including the World Series, but also causing the demise of the Montreal Expos. 
I think most owners are happy right now.

Now if you can show them how a major change would make them all more money they will go for it.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I been saying they need a new GM and manager for awhile now. The front office is not going to be able to blame injuries completely on this season totally falling apart. So I don’t know what they plan on doing and saying if this losing streak and death spiral they are on continues another week or so here. Are they just gonna accept getting swept by the Mets today then maybe the Reds this week, then the Mets again at home next weekend. At that point it would be 20 out of 22 losses which at that point you would almost have to do something. To let that go without making any changes would be inexcusable but it wouldn’t surprise me though since like we talked about Nutting does not care at all.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

It’s time for baseball to put in a Salary floor at the ML Level. Get rid of slotting salaries at the draft and allow small markets to give larger bonuses to attract new talent (like the Bucs were able to do with Bell). Pirates need to also spend more on International talent. Don’t throw in the cards if the talent dictates multi- million dollar bonus.

Finally; how about keeping some of your own talent on the roster past arbitration instead of trading every talented player away.