Game thread 7/21 Bucs Vs Angels

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

With the off day on Thursday, does anyone know

why Cutch wasn't in he starting lineup last night?
Javy

Post by Javy »

17292C24372F2F240421362572400 wrote: In regard to Suwinski,some baseball people are referring to him

as a young Kyle Schwarber. The Phillies brass say that they don't care if he only hits .200. Presently Schwarber has 26 HR's
I listen to all the sports talk radio throughout the day while at work. Schwarber is well regarded for his power and leadership, but they can't wait to get him out of the field because his fielding is generally atrocious. Most fans are tired of him hitting lead-off though, due to his low OBP and BA.

Suwinski (from what I read here) is a pretty good fielder, and as long as he hits lower in the order his BA doesn't impact as much. I don't know anything about the intangibles, but I think I'd rather have Suwinski than Schwarber going forward as he can continue to improve his hitting, even marginally, where Schwarber appears to be regressing.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

765D4A453C0 wrote: In regard to Suwinski,some baseball people are referring to him

as a young Kyle Schwarber. The Phillies brass say that they don't care if he only hits .200. Presently Schwarber has 26 HR's
I listen to all the sports talk radio throughout the day while at work. Schwarber is well regarded for his power and leadership, but they can't wait to get him out of the field because his fielding is generally atrocious. Most fans are tired of him hitting lead-off though, due to his low OBP and BA.

Suwinski (from what I read here) is a pretty good fielder, and as long as he hits lower in the order his BA doesn't impact as much. I don't know anything about the intangibles, but I think I'd rather have Suwinski than Schwarber going forward as he can continue to improve his hitting, even marginally, where Schwarber appears to be regressing.
Well put. Suwinski, while not great in the field, is adequate and much better than Schwarber. Also I think Jack can only get better

as time goes on
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Suwinski's value will increase if others like Reynolds, Davis, Triolo, Gonzales, Cruz and Hernandez strengthen the lineup. Last year Schwarber hit .218 and led MLB in striking out but his 46 HRs helped drive in 94 runs. The Phillies were among NL team  leaders in runs, hits, BA, OBP and SLG. This year he's at .187, again leading MLB in Ks but is 12th in the NL with 60 RBIs on 26 HRs.

Suwinski draws a lot of walks but needs hitters to drive him in. He hits a lot of HRs but needs others to get on base to increase scoring. Hopefully, with a new crop of young teammates, Suwinski's walks and HRs will be better put to use.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Perhaps I am a bit slow in catching on to the modern way of constructing a line-up, but I don't get batting Suwinski (or Cruz before he was hurt) first. I believe your best power hitters should be hitting lower in the order.

Besides some sub-par pitching, I don't know what was in the air last night, but balls were flying out of the park for both teams. And all of the home runs were pretty much no doubters.

Bouricki to start tonight and the end of July has yet to roll around. The starting pitching is not doing well, and if Hill is traded, things could even get worse. I like seeing so many rookies/young players in Pittsburgh, but there are clearly going to be some nights when it is painful to watch a game.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

507D70616677602023120 wrote: Suwinski's value will increase if others like Reynolds, Davis, Triolo, Gonzales, Cruz and Hernandez strengthen the lineup. Last year Schwarber hit .218 and led MLB in striking out but his 46 HRs helped drive in 94 runs. The Phillies were among NL team  leaders in runs, hits, BA, OBP and SLG. This year he's at .187, again leading MLB in Ks but is 12th in the NL with 60 RBIs on 26 HRs.

Suwinski draws a lot of walks but needs hitters to drive him in. He hits a lot of HRs but needs others to get on base to increase scoring. Hopefully, with a new crop of young teammates, Suwinski's walks and HRs will be better put to use.
That's what we all hope!
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

012D2522290E392F3F4C0 wrote: Perhaps I am a bit slow in catching on to the modern way of constructing a line-up, but I don't get batting Suwinski (or Cruz before he was hurt) first.  I believe your best power hitters should be hitting lower in the order. 

Besides some sub-par pitching, I don't know what was in the air last night, but balls were flying out of the park for both teams.  And all of the home runs were pretty much no doubters. 

Bouricki to start tonight and the end of July has yet to roll around.  The starting pitching is not doing well, and if Hill is traded, things could even get worse.  I like seeing so many rookies/young players in Pittsburgh, but there are clearly going to be some nights when it is painful to watch a game.   
Suwinski's bomb went 439 feet and 109.3 MPH off the bat