Looking at the Indianapolis 2021 Lineup

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

4F4A4D4B4349504D4457515C250 wrote: I too, enjoyed your post. I concur that there seems to be little to pin any hopes on in the line-up.

Curious that you don't see Oliva as promising as Cruz. Could you expand on that? Also, what is the latest on Cruz and his supposed legal issues? I don't recall seeing anything recently.

By all means...bring on the pitching!
Javy, Cruz brings power to a team that's desperate for it. Oliva projects as a nice player, but not an All-Star or starter on a contender. Cruz definitely has a higher ceiling, from all I've read.

I agree with you SyrBucco on Oliva but there is always a need for a guy like that on a contending team as a 4th OFer, PH, or late-inning defensive replacement  The problem with the Pirates right now is they have too darn many of those in AAA or the MLB roster.

I'd definitely rather see Oliva given a try than seeing them keep playing light hitting middle infielders in the outfield.

Amen to that!
SyrBucco

Post by SyrBucco »

1E333E2F28392E6E6D5C0 wrote: Nice post. I'd be interested in your take on the Indy pitching. At this early stage of a Pirate rebuild, the more we hear about the minor leagues, the better.

As I read your analysis, it seems the only position player at Indy who has a chance to be an impact player for the Buc is Cruz. Stokes might possibly turn out well but being a waiver pickup doesn't inspire confidence. The organization seems to have given up on Newman and Craig. And last year they seemed to have given up on Tucker (not even 1 inning at SS while wasting time as a light hitting OFer).
I'm guessing that you meant Kramer, not Newman, but hey, it's all Seinfeld! ;)
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

537972427563636F000 wrote: Nice post. I'd be interested in your take on the Indy pitching. At this early stage of a Pirate rebuild, the more we hear about the minor leagues, the better.

As I read your analysis, it seems the only position player at Indy who has a chance to be an impact player for the Buc is Cruz. Stokes might possibly turn out well but being a waiver pickup doesn't inspire confidence. The organization seems to have given up on Newman and Craig. And last year they seemed to have given up on Tucker (not even 1 inning at SS while wasting time as a light hitting OFer).
I'm guessing that you meant Kramer, not Newman, but hey, it's all Seinfeld! ;)
Yes, at least I didn't say Costanza. :)
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

I always like SyrBucco's takes on what an AAA lineup and rotation would look like. This post is probably meant for both threads and not just this. To me, AAA will be a moving van for the next few years and really not much there as far as options for the majors. To me, the players there will be spot call ups and not real solutions down the road - call it AAAA.

Our talent in this organization (young talent) are up to (Hayes), lower levels or not here yet (Rocker). In two years, AAA could be interesting if prospects continue to develop.

There are more moves coming from BC. Frazier is gone and more prospects could be arriving. Have no clue what you get for Adam, but it could be for two pieces including a change of scenery guy, like an Alford type to get someone that could help somewhat immediately.
ChillinStation

Post by ChillinStation »

Cruz is so over hyped it`s not even funny . The guy has had 1 season that was good with the bat and that was 2018 when he repeated A ball.

Only 35 games at AA , he needs to go back to AA this season and put in a full season . Then we can see if he is the real deal.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

406A61516670707C130 wrote: I too, enjoyed your post. I concur that there seems to be little to pin any hopes on in the line-up.

Curious that you don't see Oliva as promising as Cruz. Could you expand on that? Also, what is the latest on Cruz and his supposed legal issues? I don't recall seeing anything recently.

By all means...bring on the pitching!
Javy, Cruz brings power to a team that's desperate for it. Oliva projects as a nice player, but not an All Star or starter on a contender. Cruz definitely has a higher ceiling, from all I've read.

Ok, thanks. Please understand, I was not looking for a debate/argument, just some clarity. Appreciate your posting style, and was simply engaging you, that's all.

Thank YOU for the reply, Javy!
Can I trade my Pirate Jersey for a Indy?
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

You have a Pirates jersey?
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

7B4E5959526B59595255593C0 wrote: You have a Pirates jersey?

Well, if he doesn't I have a few old-timer jerseys that someone donated to OBN a few years back for purposes like this. I will have to dig them out and send WWD some pix to see if any might work for him.
GreenWeenie

Post by GreenWeenie »

The guy still has his First Communion money and he welches on bets. He can afford to buy the Pirates, let alone clothes.

There are poor kids who'd appreciate it more. All Dave would do with it is use it to polish his Rolls.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

73525A735850370 wrote: You have a Pirates jersey?

Well, if he doesn't I have a few old-timer jerseys that someone donated to OBN a few years back for purposes like this.  I will have to dig them out and send WWD some pix to see if any might work for him.

I'd like to see those pictures, Possum. I like looking at the old time uniforms.