Trade Winds

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

MaineBucs

Trade Winds

Post by MaineBucs »

While the team has often been accused of hording prospects, at present, I do not believe that the system is deep enough to offer the most talented prospects in a trade. Hayes, Tucker, Keller, and Cruz, at a bare minimum, should remain with the Pirates.

A few short weeks ago I was generally prepared to trade off much of the major league roster, however, their improved play and the lack of a stand-out team in the NL Central means that this could be the year that a sub-90 win team could take the Division crown. If the team comes out of the gate strong, then management should be willing to make some additions to provide the team a better chance of success. Barring any more injuries, I would like the team to add to the pen.

While the overall performance of the pen has improved, I believe they could use another dependable arm. Vasquez and Rodriguez have both been very good. Feliz is pitching better and doing so more consistently, and even Stratton has turned in a nice performance or two. Conversely, Crick and Liriano are both showing some warts and Clay Holmes is Clay Holmes. With most of the starters rarely going more than 5 (if that), the Bucs need a good long man. Also wish that Kela could help, but it is not very encouraging when the report is that he may be able to pitch by the end of the month.

Anxious to see how the team plays coming out of the break.
SammyKhalifa

Trade Winds

Post by SammyKhalifa »

032E23323524337370410 wrote: John Perotto reports that the Pirates have no intention of re-signing Dickerson. If true, it's very discouraging that they wouldn't even try. He's far more valuable than Polanco, who could be traded in the off season if Dickerson was retained. But we all know Nutting's allergy to spending. So it's very possible Dickerson could be traded by 7/31 rather than seeing him walk after the season. I think it would be a terrible move, especially if the Bucs are not out of it by 7/31. But nothing surprises me with TBMTIB.   
It might be true, but I don't trust perotto much if at all these days
DemDog

Trade Winds

Post by DemDog »

063438382C1E3D34393C3334550 wrote: John Perotto reports that the Pirates have no intention of re-signing Dickerson. If true, it's very discouraging that they wouldn't even try. He's far more valuable than Polanco, who could be traded in the off season if Dickerson was retained. But we all know Nutting's allergy to spending. So it's very possible Dickerson could be traded by 7/31 rather than seeing him walk after the season. I think it would be a terrible move, especially if the Bucs are not out of it by 7/31. But nothing surprises me with TBMTIB.   

Perotto was pretty good when he was with the Beaver County Times and doing mostly local stuff. But when he started getting national writing gigs he started acting and writing like he was an insider with just about every team.
notes34

Trade Winds

Post by notes34 »

0D3F33332715363F3237383F5E0 wrote: John Perotto reports that the Pirates have no intention of re-signing Dickerson. If true, it's very discouraging that they wouldn't even try. He's far more valuable than Polanco, who could be traded in the off season if Dickerson was retained. But we all know Nutting's allergy to spending. So it's very possible Dickerson could be traded by 7/31 rather than seeing him walk after the season. I think it would be a terrible move, especially if the Bucs are not out of it by 7/31. But nothing surprises me with TBMTIB.   
I really hope it isn't true. I would much rather keep Dickerson and shop Polanco.
Bobster21

Trade Winds

Post by Bobster21 »

75545C755E56310 wrote: John Perotto reports that the Pirates have no intention of re-signing Dickerson. If true, it's very discouraging that they wouldn't even try. He's far more valuable than Polanco, who could be traded in the off season if Dickerson was retained. But we all know Nutting's allergy to spending. So it's very possible Dickerson could be traded by 7/31 rather than seeing him walk after the season. I think it would be a terrible move, especially if the Bucs are not out of it by 7/31. But nothing surprises me with TBMTIB.   

Perotto was pretty good when he was with the Beaver County Times and doing mostly local stuff.  But when he started getting national writing gigs he started acting and writing like he was an insider with just about every team.

He's now with DK Pittsburgh Sports--Dejan's site--so he should be more in tune locally. I hope he's wrong but I suspect he's right. :(
pghpaulatl

Trade Winds

Post by pghpaulatl »

With the cheapest owner ever and a GM who last year made two horrible trades that he's still taking fire for, I'd expect off loading salary as his MO for July 31st., if he does anything.

Personally I've been a fan since the 1950's and I absolute depise what this great team has become and can't believe MLB won't step in and push this jerk owner out of town.
SammyKhalifa

Trade Winds

Post by SammyKhalifa »

7B565B4A4D5C4B0B08390 wrote: John Perotto reports that the Pirates have no intention of re-signing Dickerson. If true, it's very discouraging that they wouldn't even try. He's far more valuable than Polanco, who could be traded in the off season if Dickerson was retained. But we all know Nutting's allergy to spending. So it's very possible Dickerson could be traded by 7/31 rather than seeing him walk after the season. I think it would be a terrible move, especially if the Bucs are not out of it by 7/31. But nothing surprises me with TBMTIB.   

Perotto was pretty good when he was with the Beaver County Times and doing mostly local stuff.  But when he started getting national writing gigs he started acting and writing like he was an insider with just about every team.

He's now with DK Pittsburgh Sports--Dejan's site--so he should be more in tune locally. I hope he's wrong but I suspect he's right. :(

It's all hearsay but I've read on more than one place that he had some real personal issues with people on the Pirates' staff, burning some bridges he might have had at one point.  Combine that with his fairly public breakup with his long-time newspaper and it makes me wonder if personal grudges are getting in the way of impartial reporting.

Either way though, that story could be based on nothing but a guess and there's probably still at least a 25% chance of it being true.  The outfield situation is pretty well known and I'm sure one of these guys will move on one way or the other.  I'm probably still more up on Polanco than many, so I don't really know what way I want things to fall.  I like all four of the players.
OrlandoMerced

Trade Winds

Post by OrlandoMerced »

No chance they'd resign Dickerson now. I could see him getting very little attention on the FA market this offseason, so outside of him taking a lowball deal to be the 4th OF in 2020, he's gone.

Also, Will Craig has very little trade value. Even after his extremely hot start, his OPS is trending back down towards career norm in the mid 700's. Nobody wants a mid 700 OPS first baseman.
SCBucco

Trade Winds

Post by SCBucco »

6959554E4E5354775B49493A0 wrote: One way or other we are headed toward the trade deadline. For players it's an anxious time. NH can decide to go for it, rebuild, or some hybrid between the two. He usually goes for the hybrid, sort of a tepid rebuild that has potential for next year (aka, Archer). What do you see him doing this year? If it's a rebuild, what veterans go? If it's a go-for-it, how many top prospects do we lose? (And did we learn anything at all from trading for Archer last year?)

At this point it looks like he has to add. I've always felt this is the absolute worst time to be a buyer but I don't see an alternative. If I'm a seller I'm looking at grabbing Hayes and Tucker and some of the promising younger players. Is anyone more optimistic than me?
Neither Hayes or Tucker should be included in any trade talks the Pirates find themselves in. Hayes is playing this entire season at 22 y.o., and Tucker just turned 23. Both are important pieces for next year and beyond.

That's the problem. You saw what Archer cost Pittsburgh last year. A pretty significant return and that return should have been for the Archer of four years ago, not last year's version on the down swing. People know NH's trade history in deals of this nature.

We aren't good enough to go for it. Now, if our owner showed interest in making this a contender moving forward and uses free agency to attract more good pieces, then you can make a move.
IABucFan

Trade Winds

Post by IABucFan »

You're right about one thing...we aren't good enough to go for it. We MIGHT be good enough to win the division. They're only 2.5 out with 55% of the season gone. But the reality is that in the NL, there's the Dodgers, and then there's everybody else, and I mean EVERYBODY else. Save the Marlins, every NL team has to feel they are "in it." Even the Mets are only 7.5 out. But, my point remains, there's the Dodgers, and then there's everyone else. Now, the best team doesn't always win, especially in baseball. But the Dodgers are a freaking All-Star team. Quite honestly, I might take the Dodgers in a seven game series against either the AL or NL All-Stars. And Kershaw is having a down year by his standards.

So, I see it that NH needs to answer two questions. First, does he think we can emerge from the pack that is the NL? Second, if we do, is he content with, at best, a runner-up finish in the NLCS? Because as it stands now, it's going to take a miracle for any NL team to beat the Dodgers.