SROD = GoneRod

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

CTBucco

SROD = GoneRod

Post by CTBucco »

I hope they were thinking that it would give him a chance to catch on with a playoff team. It could be a positive gesture, and it would further indict their ability to scout their own players.
Ecbucs

SROD = GoneRod

Post by Ecbucs »

6F786E594F4F432C0 wrote: I hope they were thinking that it would give him a chance to catch on with a playoff team.  It could be a positive gesture, and it would further indict their ability to scout their own players.

I think it is too late for that. This means that a playoff team is going to be willing to pick up his remaining salary. I can't see that happening.
Kovalwat

SROD = GoneRod

Post by Kovalwat »

416766716777040 wrote: I hope they were thinking that it would give him a chance to catch on with a playoff team.  It could be a positive gesture, and it would further indict their ability to scout their own players.

I think it is too late for that.  This means that a playoff team is going to be willing to pick up his remaining salary.  I can't see that happening.
---

No problem just give some other team a couple of prospects for them to take Rodriguez' salary off out hands. The important thing here is BOB's bank account.
SammyKhalifa

SROD = GoneRod

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I am not surprise if he goes through waivers and the Pirates hire him on as some kind of special Bench Coach
Bobster21

SROD = GoneRod

Post by Bobster21 »

497B77776351727B76737C7B1A0 wrote: I am not surprise if he goes through waivers and the Pirates hire him on as some kind of special Bench Coach
I wonder if part of this was to clear a spot on the 40 for Reyes to be added in September.
DemDog

SROD = GoneRod

Post by DemDog »

7D505D4C4B5A4D0D0E3F0 wrote: I am not surprise if he goes through waivers and the Pirates hire him on as some kind of special Bench Coach
I wonder if part of this was to clear a spot on the 40 for Reyes to be added in September.

Might be but who else would they want to get a quick look at before they go to MilB free agency or are available to Rule 5 draft.
ArnoldRothstein

SROD = GoneRod

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

He could become the organization' s roving utility player instructor.
PMike

SROD = GoneRod

Post by PMike »

They have made a very positive statement to Newman by this move. They could very easily have just sent him down for a few days and kept S-Rod. They aren't competing for anything at this point.

I'm going to stick with this positive theme... S-Rod was really bad this year and many of us wanted him DFA'd month ago. But he has been a really good player for the Pirates over his tenure. Not only that, from all accounts (both media and players) he was a great guy. We keyboard warriors have an easy time dehumanizing the sport and the players. I think it should be pointed out that he was extremely loved by his teammates and the organization. I am proud that he was a Pirate. I also admire the fact that he is now saying that he's not done. He intends to continue playing somewhere. I love baseball so much. If I were good enough, I'd also want to do it until every door was closed.
Bobster21

SROD = GoneRod

Post by Bobster21 »

5E4367656B0E0 wrote: They have made a very positive statement to Newman by this move.  They could very easily have just sent him down for a few days and kept S-Rod.  They aren't competing for anything at this point.

I'm going to stick with this positive theme...  S-Rod was really bad this year and many of us wanted him DFA'd month ago.  But he has been a really good player for the Pirates over his tenure.  Not only that, from all accounts (both media and players) he was a great guy.  We keyboard warriors have an easy time dehumanizing the sport and the players.  I think it should be pointed out that he was extremely loved by his teammates and the organization.  I am proud that he was a Pirate.  I also admire the fact that he is now saying that he's not done.  He intends to continue playing somewhere.  I love baseball so much.  If I were good enough, I'd also want to do it until every door was closed.
Great post! Couldn't agree more. S-Rod was formerly valuable until he became a different player since the auto accident. TBMTIB let sentimentality overshadow common baseball sense. I hope S-Rod hooks on with another team next year. But this year was a washout with the Bucs and Hurdle couldn't help himself from starting him. Even the most casual fan could see S-Rod was of no value this year. But he seems to be a great, popular guy and Hurdle wanted him. That's on Hurdle for not fielding his best lineup (as usual). But it doesn't detract from S-Rod being a great guy.
Ecbucs

SROD = GoneRod

Post by Ecbucs »

64795D5F51340 wrote: They have made a very positive statement to Newman by this move.  They could very easily have just sent him down for a few days and kept S-Rod.  They aren't competing for anything at this point.

I'm going to stick with this positive theme...  S-Rod was really bad this year and many of us wanted him DFA'd month ago.  But he has been a really good player for the Pirates over his tenure.  Not only that, from all accounts (both media and players) he was a great guy.  We keyboard warriors have an easy time dehumanizing the sport and the players.  I think it should be pointed out that he was extremely loved by his teammates and the organization.  I am proud that he was a Pirate.  I also admire the fact that he is now saying that he's not done.  He intends to continue playing somewhere.  I love baseball so much.  If I were good enough, I'd also want to do it until every door was closed.
I looked up the disabled list rules and S-Rod did not have to be activated after 10 days. Since the team has to pay him anyway, they could have just left him on dl until 9/1 and activated him then.

The 10-day disabled list -- or "DL" -- allows clubs to remove players from the 25-man active roster while keeping them on the 40-man roster. Players can be placed on the 10-day DL for any type of injury, though players with concussion symptoms are first sent to the 7-day DL. Players on the 10-day DL must remain out of action for at least 10 days, though a player [highlight]can also stay on the list for considerably longer than 10 days, if necessary.

[/highlight]

Maybe he was released because the team needs his 50 man roster spot. Maybe the team does think someone who is a playoff contender will pick him up by tomorrow and pick up his salary (or deal for him with the Bucs still picking up some of it).