Keuchel 1 Year, $13M

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

ScottinMass

Keuchel 1 Year, $13M

Post by ScottinMass »

Not sure I would have paid that money for Keuchel.

His stats vs. Archers stats the last 2 years are almost the same and I don't think any of us would pay that money for Archer.

Keuchel 2018:

3.69 FIP; 1.314 WHIP; 2.6 BB/9; 6.7 SO/9; 110 ERA+

Archer 2018 (with TB):

3.62 FIP; 1.385 WHIP; 2.9 BB/9; 9.6 SO/9; 96 ERA+

Keuchel 2017:

3.79 FIP; 1.119 WHIP; 2.9 BB/P; 7.7 SO/9; 141 ERA+

Archer 2017:

3.40 FIP; 1.259 WHIP; 2.7 BB/9; 11.1 SO/9; 103 ERA+
SammyKhalifa

Keuchel 1 Year, $13M

Post by SammyKhalifa »

04343823233E391A362424570 wrote: Not sure I would have paid that money for Keuchel.

His stats vs. Archers stats the last 2 years are almost the same  and I don't think any of us would pay that money for Archer.

Keuchel 2018:

3.69 FIP; 1.314 WHIP; 2.6 BB/9; 6.7 SO/9; 110 ERA+

Archer 2018 (with TB):

3.62 FIP; 1.385 WHIP; 2.9 BB/9; 9.6 SO/9; 96 ERA+

Keuchel 2017:

3.79 FIP; 1.119 WHIP; 2.9 BB/P; 7.7 SO/9; 141 ERA+

Archer 2017:

3.40 FIP; 1.259 WHIP; 2.7 BB/9; 11.1 SO/9; 103 ERA+

I don't think the question is if he's better than archer, but if he's better than Nick Kingham.
iabucco

Keuchel 1 Year, $13M

Post by iabucco »

I didn't say that is what I thought he deserved. I just believe that in the short term the Pirates could afford to overpay and as another poster stated, the PR of the move might mitigate the overpayment. The total salary for the Pirates this year is really low.
rucker59@gmail.com

Keuchel 1 Year, $13M

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

343C3F283E3E325D0 wrote: I didn't say that is what I thought he deserved.  I just believe that in the short term the Pirates could afford to overpay and as another poster stated, the PR of the move might mitigate the overpayment.  The total salary for the Pirates this year is really low. 

I agree. A one year deal is where the Pirates can overpay. I think they should have.
UtahPirate

Keuchel 1 Year, $13M

Post by UtahPirate »

Boras is an A$$!
DemDog

Keuchel 1 Year, $13M

Post by DemDog »

4061747D457C67746170150 wrote: Boras is an A$$!

Yes, he may be an A$$ but he usually gets his players some great contracts.
UtahPirate

Keuchel 1 Year, $13M

Post by UtahPirate »

4A6B634A61690E0 wrote: Boras is an A$$!

You're right Possum. But I pity the many teams that were dumb enough to deal with him and pay many of those "great" contracts. Prince Fielder anyone? Hasn't turned out really great for Keuchel so far either ...
IABucFan

Keuchel 1 Year, $13M

Post by IABucFan »

7657424B734A51425746230 wrote: Boras is an A$$!

You're right Possum. But I pity the many teams that were dumb enough to deal with him and pay many of those "great" contracts. Prince Fielder anyone? Hasn't turned out really great for Keuchel so far either ...

Remember when he called Pedro Alvarez a "special" talent, or something like that?

Speaking of Pedro, I'm just reminiscing here, but he actually could have been a special player. Crazy power. He did lead the league of homers one year, IIRC. He participated in a home run derby. He was an NL All Star one year. He won a Silver Slugger. He actually had a pretty good glove for a time at third, with an absolute cannon for an arm, as long as he knew where it was going. What could have been...in hindsight, Pedro had a good year, and then couldn't get out of his own way psychologically. He had a huge hole in his swing, couldn't hit lefties to save his life, and in general, was a bust compared to what he was sold as coming out of the draft by Bora$$, major media pundits, and others.
Bobster21

Keuchel 1 Year, $13M

Post by Bobster21 »

5B5350677154737C120 wrote: Boras is an A$$!

Remember when he called Pedro Alvarez a "special" talent, or something like that?

Speaking of Pedro, I'm just reminiscing here, but he actually could have been a special player. Crazy power. He did lead the league of homers one year, IIRC. He participated in a home run derby. He was an NL All Star one year. He won a Silver Slugger. He actually had a pretty good glove for a time at third, with an absolute cannon for an arm, as long as he knew where it was going. What could have been...in hindsight, Pedro had a good year, and then couldn't get out of his own way psychologically. He had a huge hole in his swing, couldn't hit lefties to save his life, and in general, was a bust compared to what he was sold as coming out of the draft by Bora$$, major media pundits, and others.
I agree about Pedro's psychological issues. As a hitter, he was very strong. And that was all. His chronically low batting averages revealed how infrequently he hit safely. But he was strong enough to hit the ball over the fence when he got hold of it. Even when his 36 HRs led the league, he hit only .233. Most of his HRs were on pitchers' mistakes right down the middle. He seemed to have poor pitch recognition and just swung hard in case he hit anything. He was strong enough that balls that might have been caught on the warning track for others went over the fence for him. Otherwise, his low batting averages would have been even lower. He wasn't a guy who hit a lot of doubles because when he made contact but didn't catch the ball at the right launch angle, he wasn't driving balls into gaps. Basically just a bad hitter who was strong enough to hit the ball a long way at those infrequent times when he hit something.
IABucFan

Keuchel 1 Year, $13M

Post by IABucFan »

1E333E2F28392E6E6D5C0 wrote: Boras is an A$$!

I agree about Pedro's psychological issues. As a hitter, he was very strong. And that was all. His chronically low batting averages revealed how infrequently he hit safely. But he was strong enough to hit the ball over the fence when he got hold of it. Even when his 36 HRs led the league, he hit only .233. Most of his HRs were on pitchers' mistakes right down the middle. He seemed to have poor pitch recognition and just swung hard in case he hit anything. He was strong enough that balls that might have been caught on the warning track for others went over the fence for him. Otherwise, his low batting averages would have been even lower. He wasn't a guy who hit a lot of doubles because when he made contact but didn't catch the ball at the right launch angle, he wasn't driving balls into gaps. Basically just a bad hitter who was strong enough to hit the ball a long way at those infrequent times when he hit something.

I don't disagree about that. My comment was more in reference to Boras. He oversells his clients. He oversold Pedro. In hindsight, Pedro was a good player, in fact, a good supporting cast member of the three WC teams, but he was so bad defensively in 2015 that he didn't start the WC game, and as you say, his hit tool was so bad that it overshadowed his power tool. unless a guy hung a breaking ball or threw him a fastball, he was pretty much an easy out.