Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BenM

Glasnow versus Cubs 4/26 Game Thread...

Post by BenM »

Josh Bell hits the ball hard.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

20070C2F620 wrote: Josh Bell hits the ball hard.

He is doing pretty well against lefties. Thought he was supposed to lack power against them (working on that last year in Indy I believe).
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

43666565705B666E6C7B090 wrote: If Glasnow is not capable of pitching 5 innings without throwing 140 pitches; we need to rethink the rotation. Time to bring up Brault as the 5th starter and let Glasnow pitch in long relief until he figures it out.
This is what I've been saying put the guy in the bull pen lots of young pitchers have started that way. That way he can ease into starting.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

maybe Hudson can vulture a win. The Bucs don't have much left in bullpen.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

Add Mercer to the growing list of Pirates who have forgotten how to field
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I wager that this is a game a lot of people will remember for a long time
steve49

Post by steve49 »

5B6D6C7B70716B795A776B6B180 wrote: Glasnow is starting to have some better results, but the amount of work he does to get there is grueling to watch.

It's much less painful to tape the game and start watching it around an hour after it starts. Then fast forward at a speed where you can follow at least most of what Glasnow is doing. Just take pains not to see a score before you start watching the game. I really think I would rather be water boarded than watch Glasnow's every pitch.

That said , I think the Pirates are doing the right thing in letting him fight it out in the bigs. Also it will probably toughen him up playing behind this absolutely hideous defense. Can't figure out what is worse the OF or infield . I also think by year's end ,Glasnow will be OK.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Big test for the Pirates coming up here within the next 2-3 weeks as they will only play 3 home games and 14 road games I believe in the next 17 games. It's not going to be an easy stretch at all and it's one the Pirates better fight through and win some games if they want to stay relevant in this race. They gotta get more out of Polanco I feel as well. He is underachieving big time both in the field and especially at the plate. He needs to step it up and start showing more power and a better average hitting in that cleanup spot.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

After Glasnow's disastrous first start (4 hits, 5 walks, 5 runs in 1.2 innings) we were encouraged that his next start was a big improvement. But for anyone else, that game would have been considered bad (5 innings, 6 hits, 2 walks, 6 runs (4ER)). His third start was better (4.2 innings, 3 runs (1 ER), 7 hits, 2 walks, 102 pitches). But then last night it was 89 pitches (only 46 strikes) in just 3.1 innings, 6 hits, 4 walks, 3 runs. He faced 20 batters and 11 of them reached base.

Luckily the Bucs have won 3 of his 4 starts by scores of 8-7, 6-3 and 6-5. But this weak hitting team is not going to keep scoring enough to overcome Glasnow's ineffectiveness. I just don't think the Glasnow experiment is working. Clearly he is not ready to pitch at the MLB level. Throwing him to the wolves and letting him try to figure it out is only resulting in one bad start after another. Even his "good' starts would be considered bad if they weren't being compared to his atrocious first outing. It puts a burden on the bullpen for each of his starts (5 relievers were required last night), which then trickles over into subsequent games. I would give him 1 more start and if it is no better than "less bad" I would send him down. Williams, LeBlanc or Brault have to be better than this. I suspect at this point Glasnow is even going to struggle in AAA. Until and unless he can look like a AAA pitcher who again deserves a shot in MLB he should remain in AAA.
Tintin

Post by Tintin »

4D606D7C7B6A7D3D3E0F0 wrote: After Glasnow's disastrous first start (4 hits, 5 walks, 5 runs in 1.2 innings) we were encouraged that his next start was a big improvement. But for anyone else, that game would have been considered bad (5 innings, 6 hits, 2 walks, 6 runs (4ER)). His third start was better (4.2 innings, 3 runs (1 ER), 7 hits, 2 walks, 102 pitches). But then last night it was 89 pitches (only 46 strikes) in just 3.1 innings, 6 hits, 4 walks, 3 runs. He faced 20 batters and 11 of them reached base.

Luckily the Bucs have won 3 of his 4 starts by scores of 8-7, 6-3 and 6-5. But this weak hitting team is not going to keep scoring enough to overcome Glasnow's ineffectiveness. I just don't think the Glasnow experiment is working. Clearly he is not ready to pitch at the MLB level. Throwing him to the wolves and letting him try to figure it out is only resulting in one bad start after another. Even his "good' starts would be considered bad if they weren't being compared to his atrocious first outing. It puts a burden on the bullpen for each of his starts (5 relievers were required last night), which then trickles over into subsequent games. I would give him 1 more start and if it is no better than "less bad" I would send him down. Williams, LeBlanc or Brault have to be better than this. I suspect at this point Glasnow is even going to struggle in AAA. Until and unless he can look like a AAA pitcher who again deserves a shot in MLB he should remain in AAA. 

He's got good stuff. I see no point in sending him down. Let him work it out. The umps have squeezed him, the defense has been terrible behind him, and his started against 2 of the best offenses in baseball in three of his starts.

He's going the right way and I say keep sending him out.