Moves Team Should Make Today

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

416C61707766713132030 wrote: And on one of those other topics, here, per Pirates Prospects, is what the Pirates have actually done today:

"The Pittsburgh Pirates added five players today, with a little bit of a surprise in the group. They added catcher Jacob Stallings, 1B/OF Jose Osuna, relief pitchers Nick Burdi and Dovydas Neverauskas, and IF/OF Pablo Reyes, who was added to the 40-man roster."
Nice to see Reyes get a taste of MLB. He earned it this year. Burdi only appeared in 10 games this year in the minors after TJ surgery. He's a rule 5 so I guess this is a harmless way of adding him to the roster per rule 5 rules. He'll have to be on the team next year at least part of the season or be offered back to the Twins. Osuna and Stallings were expected. And they seem to love Nerverauskas--but only until he pitches. I expect to see another catcher added. They like to carry 3 in September and Diaz now has a hammy and Cervelli is always one pitch away from the concussion protocol.

As far as another catcher could it be Christian Kelley at Altoona. 2015 11th round pick. His MiLB stats show him to be a Stallings hitting clone with so pop. His fielding is fairly good. But not on 40 man.
RichD

Post by RichD »

Reyes can play everywhere just about (LF ,CF ,SS ,2B ,3B ) . Can hit with consistency. Should be a solid bench piece. Still wonder why we lets Bostick go :-/
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5D5F454355300 wrote: And on one of those other topics, here, per Pirates Prospects, is what the Pirates have actually done today:

"The Pittsburgh Pirates added five players today, with a little bit of a surprise in the group. They added catcher Jacob Stallings, 1B/OF Jose Osuna, relief pitchers Nick Burdi and Dovydas Neverauskas, and IF/OF Pablo Reyes, who was added to the 40-man roster."
Turns out Burdi was not called up. He was activated from 60-day DL and assigned to Indy.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Adding to the 40-man and sending to AAA works? I thought for Rule 5 guys, you have to keep them in the majors the entire year, unless the DL intervenes. Or did they make a trade for his rights that I missed?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4042585E482D0 wrote: Adding to the 40-man and sending to AAA works? I thought for Rule 5 guys, you have to keep them in the majors the entire year, unless the DL intervenes. Or did they make a trade for his rights that I missed?
Seemed odd to me too. But that's what the Trib reported.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Could be. I have only the vaguest awareness of all those rules MLB has in place. They're enough to make any tax code writer envious.

The roster listing at pirateball.com shows 28 on the active roster and shows Burdi as one of those. Maybe that was just an error at the Trib. But who knows with all the goofy rules they have.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

The Pirates official site says Burdi was recalled.