Off Season Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

shedman

Off Season Thread

Post by shedman »

0D5B4D59564C5C575A4D7F58525E5653115C3F0 wrote: I have elected to no longer do the Off Season thread.  Someone else can do it who better understands all of the censorship rules.

Well, this is disappointing.  I never thought I’d live long enough to see you walk away from your baby.
_________

The point of the Off Season thread is to generate as many different opinions about baseball acquisitions as possible.  That is just not possible in this environment.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Off Season Thread

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

6560676169637A676E7D7B760F0 wrote: The next six months will become a virtual ghost town.

We always end up waiting till spring training is almost started before we sign any free agents so there won't be any talk about that, but there should be some chatter about the CBA before long you would think.

There’s the potential for this CBA to have some interesting changes, not just to things like free agency, arbitration, and other player contract aspects, but also to rules changes that could be real game changers.

This can be really interesting this offseason and I’m looking forward to some good discussion about it.
Bobster21

Off Season Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

405B56575E525D330 wrote: I have elected to no longer do the Off Season thread.  Someone else can do it who better understands all of the censorship rules.

Well, this is disappointing.  I never thought I’d live long enough to see you walk away from your baby.
_________

The point of the Off Season thread is to generate as many different opinions about baseball acquisitions as possible.  That is just not possible in this environment.

Fine! You don't want to post in this environment? You got your wish. Good bye!!!!!
2drfischer@gmail.c

Off Season Thread

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

79626F6E676B640A0 wrote: I have elected to no longer do the Off Season thread.  Someone else can do it who better understands all of the censorship rules.

_________

Off course it is. All you have to do is explain and defend why you rank an acquisition as you do and that would elicit all sorts of opinions and discussions.
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

[pre][/pre]6461666068627B666F7C7A770E0 wrote: Big deal. 

It is a big deal to a lot of folks.  Just mention the DH in the NL and some people freak out. 

You mean, like criticizing a GM who finishes last?
fjk090852-7

Off Season Thread

Post by fjk090852-7 »

5B6E7979724B79797275791C0 wrote: [pre][/pre]Big deal. 

It is a big deal to a lot of folks.  Just mention the DH in the NL and some people freak out. 

You mean, like criticizing a GM who finishes last?

The GM didn’t have a lot to work with when he came on board in November 2019. He has made some trades which have brought in prospects of interest, and I think most people on this site would agree that his 2 drafts have brought in significant players. I personally think we should give the current GM a little more time to get the organization on the right track. I am more positive than most, but I can see improvement in the organization, and that will in turn effect the Major League Team.
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

I'm done with it. I'll tell you what.  Huntington didn't, either, and guys still bark about him to this day.  And, he was better.

Then, as I've correctly pointed out, it's OK to criticize guys Cheringtin hires, but not him.  I wrote that 'it didn't have to be this way.  Ppl complained about Shelton, not Cherington. That's mind boggling.

Announcers have 0 to do with a game's outcome.  We're allowed to come down on them.  How many times a game?

What gives about this Cherington cat?  Are ppl afraid that he'll bolt or something?  I don't get it. 
fjk090852-7

Off Season Thread

Post by fjk090852-7 »

7045525259605252595E52370 wrote: I'm done with it. I'll tell you what.  Huntington didn't, either, and guys still bark about him to this day.  And, he was better.

Then, as I've correctly pointed out, it's OK to criticize guys he hires, but not him.  That's mind boggling.

Announcers have 0 to do with a game's outcome.  We're allowed to come down on them.  How many times a game?

What gives about this Cherington cat?  Are ppl afraid that he'll bolt or something?  I don't get it. 
Hey I liked Huntington, and we will never know the facts, but I believe Frank Coonely pushed hard to make the Archer trade. That regime lacked the development of players, which we all hope Ben Cherington, Steve Sanders, John Baker and others can help the current group of prospects. Since there was no minor league season in 2020 let’s give this Operations Group a little time to develop the current group of prospects.
GreenWeenie

Off Season Thread

Post by GreenWeenie »

Those are all moot.

The point is, Cherington should be as fair game for criticism as he is fair game for compliments.

He's as fair game as his inferior hires and subordinates.

He's as fair game as his players and coaches.

He's as fair game as anyone associated with the club.

Let's call this exactly as it is:  Cherington has nothing to do with this.  No one will admit it.  These inconsistencies are nothing other than personality conflicts among certain members.

The solution SHOULD be:  Dont read the thread if you don't enjoy it.  I don't read The Minors.thread.

Bobster21

Off Season Thread

Post by Bobster21 »

457067676C5567676C6B67020 wrote: Those are all moot.

The point is, Cherington should be as fair game for criticism as he is fair game for compliments.

He's as fair game as his inferior hires and subordinates.

He's as fair game as his players and coaches.

He's as fair game as anyone associated with the club.

Let's call this exactly as it is:  Cherington has nothing to do with this.  No one will admit it.  These inconsistencies are nothing other than personality conflicts among certain members.

The solution SHOULD be:  Dont read the thread if you don't enjoy it.  I don't read The Minors.thread.

You are pushing a false narrative that Cherington cannot be criticized here. It's certainly fair game to criticize him for trades, the 2021 roster and even the hiring of Shelton. But it's also fair to recognize that while he clearly punted on the MLB roster, he focused on building up the minors, for which all evaluations seems to be very favorable. So when we get the constant comments that BC is a total failure because he failed in his only task to make the 2021 MLB roster competitive while totally ignoring what he's been working on, it gets old because it pushes a poster's agenda rather than a fair discussion of BC's overall successes and failures. Shedman was asked more times than I can count to stop pushing his agenda while ignoring the overall situation. He was suspended several times, was reinstated today and immediately resumed his agenda and then immediately complained about how OBN was run when he was again asked to modify his behavior.

OBN is not PMB 2.0. Thankfully! A lot of us on OBN were once members of the PMB and left because of how the board was made unpleasant due to the accepted behavior of some posters. Such behavior is not accepted here. Shedman was made aware of that numerous times and didn't seem to care. So he's gone. Fair criticism of BC or anyone else is totally acceptable. But ignoring reality to push an agenda is not. And falsely accusing OBN of not permitting criticism of BC in order to defend unacceptable behavior is not acceptable. Learn from Shedman's mistake. Or join him.