Would It Be Appropriate To Retire Cutch’s Number

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I cannot recall if a former player ever had his number retired while still playing baseball for another team, but in my opinion when Cutch returns to PNC Park in May there should be a ceremony to retire jersey #22. His Pirate career lasted only about 9 years, but he will always be remembered for being the catalyst which ended the 20 years of losing. He and his many teammates revived baseball back in Pittsburgh. Maybe it is not proper to retire a number while the player is still active with another team, and if so the number should not be worn again until the player retires and then it should be officially retired.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

I love 'Cutch, but I have to say no. Sure, he was impactful, but he was not here long enough. I doubt we ever retire another number.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

717473757D776E737A696F621B0 wrote: I love 'Cutch, but I have to say no.  Sure, he was impactful, but he was not here long enough.  I doubt we ever retire another number.
But that may be why they would retire it. It's doubtful any Pirate will ever be with the team longer than that and probably not as long as 9 years. If they don't honor guys who don't stay a long time, they'll never honor anyone. And it will look bad if they never have any players to honor ever again.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

He would have to be on his way to the Hall of Fame or very close to it to get his number retired. All the players with retired numbers are Hall of Famers. Some took years after their playing days to get retired too.

I think getting your number retired is the biggest honor in sports. I just don't know if nine years is enough for McCutchen to get that honor. He could have a longer career with another team or away from the Pirates.

Side Note:

Houston did put up statues of Craig Biggio and Jeff Bagwell while they were still playing. They went up in 2003 and Biggio played until 2007 and Bagwell until 2005. Biggio played 20 years. Bagwell 15 years.
Roberto218

Post by Roberto218 »

Absolutely! Greatest center fielder in Pirate's history.
PMike

Post by PMike »

Not a chance. Only 9 years. Only 203 career HRs. Below .300 career hitter. Career OPS around .850. Subpar defensive player. He’s never had 100 RBIs in a season and only once scored 100+ runs. I’m sorry, I liked him a lot, but there is no way his number should be retired.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

6C515C5B4C4A510C0F063E0 wrote: Absolutely! Greatest  center fielder in Pirate's history.

Not the greatest by far. Two I can think of off the top of my bald head are one Andy VanSlyke and Quail's favorite Bill Virdon.

Van Slyke could hit and certainly was a far superior fielder. He even got the love of the fans and was the face of the franchise like Cutch.

Virdon on the other hand was not the power guy or even average guy like Cutch but he hit in the clutch and play absolutely awesome defense in CF in the cavernous Forbes Field aka The House of Thrills.

As far as retiring his # I think even talking about it is premature. Wait to see how his career finishes. Who knows maybe the Pirates will take one from the Stillers book and just not issue #22 again as has been done with a few Stiller player numbers from the early Super Bowl teams.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

No way was Van Slyke (8 years) or Virdon (11 years) better with the bat than McCutchen. McCutchen was/is the better hitter. Those two were better on defense, but not offense.

McCutchen is up there for best CF of all time. I think I would give him the nod too.
BucAndEer

Post by BucAndEer »

Shoot, if they retired Billy Meyer's #1, they could justify retiring Cutch's #22. Or, for that matter, Gene Lamont's #32.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5B6C7A58777D5C7C6B190 wrote: Shoot, if they retired Billy Meyer's #1, they could justify retiring Cutch's #22. Or, for that matter, Gene Lamont's #32.
Or Chad Hermansen's #31.