Bucs Sign Chasen Shreve

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Bucs Sign Chasen Shreve

Post by fjk090852-7 »

The Bucs have signed lefty Chasen Shreve to a minor league contract.
DemDog

Bucs Sign Chasen Shreve

Post by DemDog »

7D71702B222B232E29362C1B0 wrote: The Bucs have signed lefty Chasen Shreve to a minor league contract.

What do they need this guy for? Maybe to toss some pitches in bullpens so all the catchers at ST can get some work. :D
Ecbucs

Bucs Sign Chasen Shreve

Post by Ecbucs »

27060E270C04630 wrote: The Bucs have signed lefty Chasen Shreve to a minor league contract.

What do they need this guy for?  Maybe to toss some pitches in bullpens so all the catchers at ST can get some work. :D

right now he is the team's best left handed reliever although that doesn't mean a lot when others are Austin Davis and Sam Howard.
fjk090852-7

Bucs Sign Chasen Shreve

Post by fjk090852-7 »

052322352333400 wrote: The Bucs have signed lefty Chasen Shreve to a minor league contract.

What do they need this guy for?  Maybe to toss some pitches in bullpens so all the catchers at ST can get some work. :D

right now he is the team's best left handed reliever although that doesn't mean a lot when others are Austin Davis and Sam Howard.

If he makes the team, and has a successful few months he could be a nice trade chip later in the season. A good lefty is a piece a contender could possibly overpay for in July.
shedman

Bucs Sign Chasen Shreve

Post by shedman »

It's amazing how much Nutting has trained the fan base in Pittsburgh. We hope for a prospect to succeed so that we can trade him for another prospect????
Bobster21

Bucs Sign Chasen Shreve

Post by Bobster21 »

3C272A2B222E214F0 wrote: It's amazing how much Nutting has trained the fan base in Pittsburgh.  We hope for a prospect to succeed so that we can trade him for another prospect????

I wouldn't call a 30 yr old with parts of 7 yrs in MLB a prospect. And I wouldn't call it "trained" to be aware of how the Pirates operate.
fjk090852-7

Bucs Sign Chasen Shreve

Post by fjk090852-7 »

082528393E2F38787B4A0 wrote: It's amazing how much Nutting has trained the fan base in Pittsburgh.  We hope for a prospect to succeed so that we can trade him for another prospect????

I wouldn't call a 30 yr old with parts of 7 yrs in MLB a prospect. And I wouldn't call it "trained" to be aware of how the Pirates operate.
I agree this is not a prospect. He has been in the Majors with several teams including his last team the Mets. I know the posters who give points for players signed don’t agree, but some amount should be given to this player acquisition.
Bobster21

Bucs Sign Chasen Shreve

Post by Bobster21 »

535F5E050C050D00071802350 wrote: It's amazing how much Nutting has trained the fan base in Pittsburgh.  We hope for a prospect to succeed so that we can trade him for another prospect????

I agree this is not a prospect. He has been in the Majors with several teams including his last team the Mets. I know the posters who give points for players signed don’t agree, but some amount should be given to this player acquisition.

It's a minor league contract. Shreve is a marginal pitcher. This will be his 5th organization in 8 years, only 2 of which didn't include some minor league time. His ERAs are generally respectable but he has control problems and tends to give up a lot of HRs. He's the kind of pitcher we've been talking about in terms of who would sign with the Pirates. With most teams Shreve would be hoping to stick or at least get a callup. With the Pirates he has a good chance to be a regular LH reliever all season.
SCBucco

Bucs Sign Chasen Shreve

Post by SCBucco »

684548595E4F58181B2A0 wrote: It's amazing how much Nutting has trained the fan base in Pittsburgh.  We hope for a prospect to succeed so that we can trade him for another prospect????

It's a minor league contract. Shreve is a marginal pitcher. This will be his 5th organization in 8 years, only 2 of which didn't include some minor league time. His ERAs are generally respectable but he has control problems and tends to give up a lot of HRs. He's the kind of pitcher we've been talking about in terms of who would sign with the Pirates. With most teams Shreve would be hoping to stick or at least get a callup. With the Pirates he has a good chance to be a regular LH reliever all season. 

He isn't bad. I was expecting a worse signing. Without thinking, he is better than Davis, Bachelor, Poppen and Fulmer in our pen. Heck, probably better than Feliz too.
ArnoldRothstein

Bucs Sign Chasen Shreve

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

. I was expecting a worse signing.

Yeah, either someone who's coming off an injury or someone who's just had little sips of coffee. What gives?