Fun facts about Austin Hedges

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

That majestic pitch framing has the Pirates 9th of 15 NL teams and worse than the league average in team ERA. They also have the 5th most walks in the NL (way to frame those pitches, Austin!). Hedges' 16% caught stealing rate is among the worst in MLB. And he has the 3rd most errors (7) among NL catchers.

At least Hedges is hitting a hard .179. That's his highest BA since 2018. Who knows? Maybe this will be the year he breaks .180. ::)
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

How can you not respect that he is about the only player on the Pirates who can bunt, and how Shelton always hopes that he comes to the plate with a runner on 1st and no outs so he can display how well he bunts.

Clearly, all of baseball knows that his glorious pitch framing abilities would have helped both Roansey Contreras and Luis Ortiz to remain in the majors if only the Pirates had used Hedges behind the plate more frequently when they were pitching.

And, if the Bucs agreed to pay him $5 mil of money that Nutting steals from Pirate fans, common sense infers that he must be a good player.

I doubt that I could name many of the catchers who passed through Pittsburgh in the past 15 years. My hope is that my failing memory may soon add Hedges to that list as both Davis and Rodriguez (hopefully) rise to prominence.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

0B262B3A3D2C3B7B78490 wrote: That majestic pitch framing has the Pirates 9th of 15 NL teams and worse than the league average in team ERA. They also have the 5th most walks in the NL (way to frame those pitches, Austin!). Hedges' 16% caught stealing rate is among the worst in MLB. And he has the 3rd most errors (7) among NL catchers.

At least Hedges is hitting a hard .179. That's his highest BA since 2018. Who knows? Maybe this will be the year he breaks .180.   ::)
Where does he rank on Catchers interference?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

1E20252D3E26262D0D283F2C7B490 wrote: That majestic pitch framing has the Pirates 9th of 15 NL teams and worse than the league average in team ERA. They also have the 5th most walks in the NL (way to frame those pitches, Austin!). Hedges' 16% caught stealing rate is among the worst in MLB. And he has the 3rd most errors (7) among NL catchers.

At least Hedges is hitting a hard .179. That's his highest BA since 2018. Who knows? Maybe this will be the year he breaks .180.   ::)
I don't know if they keep stats on that but he's turned it into an art form.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

7E535E4F48594E0E0D3C0 wrote: That majestic pitch framing has the Pirates 9th of 15 NL teams and worse than the league average in team ERA. They also have the 5th most walks in the NL (way to frame those pitches, Austin!). Hedges' 16% caught stealing rate is among the worst in MLB. And he has the 3rd most errors (7) among NL catchers.

I don't know if they keep stats on that but he's turned it into an art form.

I think it is supposed to be so rare that it isn't tracked. But I think an error is charged to the catcher.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Our friend Blake Sabol has four interference calls in just 228 innings. Patrick Bailey has 3, so the Giants have 7. Pirates have 4, no other NL team has more than 3. AL: Tigers have 5, Indians, Angels, Yankees have 4.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

were the Bucs show casing Hedges tonight?  Maybe he was extra nervous because of it. 

Good info from Babe Adams on interference this season.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

I know that it's not always on the Catcher but Hedges

has only thrown out 8 of 52 runners so far. Possum could do

better than that! :D
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

7846434B5840404B6B4E594A1D2F0 wrote: I know that it's not always on the Catcher but Hedges

I'd have to do it from a wheelchair though! ;D ;D ;D ;D
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

406169406B63040 wrote: I know that it's not always on the Catcher but Hedges

And you would still do better

I'd have to do it from a wheelchair though!   ;D ;D ;D ;D