5. Colin Moran (L) 3B

6. Corey Dickerson (L) LF

7. Adam Frazier (L) 2B

8. Jacob Stallings (R) C

9. Chris Archer (R) P
DemDog

Pirates vs SD 6/22.

Post by DemDog »

Tuned in to the game on AT&T Sports only to find Block & Blass doing the announcing. So damn tired of Block doing the color even at the expense of play-by-play. He seems to be afraid to call the p-b-p. So I decided to mute the volume on the tv and found that I enjoyed the game much more. No BS from Block and was just like being at PNC. Just watch and observe the game. I am of the school that would rather get rid of Block more than Nutting.
Bobster21

Pirates vs SD 6/22.

Post by Bobster21 »

05242C052E26410 wrote: Tuned in to the game on AT&T Sports only to find Block & Blass doing the announcing.  So damn tired of Block doing the color even at the expense of play-by-play.  He seems to be afraid to call the p-b-p.  So I decided to mute the volume on the tv and found that I enjoyed the game much more. No BS from Block and was just like being at PNC.  Just watch and observe the game.  I am of the school that would rather get rid of Block more than Nutting.
I just did the same thing. I know he thinks he's just providing casual talking throughout the game but after awhile that nonstop chatter becomes unbearable. And with Block, the color guy, who's the real baseball expert, is reduced to commenting on whatever Block is talking about instead of using his expertise to bring up issues that a non-expert like Block wouldn't know about. So all we get is 3 hours of "The World According to Block."
mouse

Pirates vs SD 6/22.

Post by mouse »

The other day someone on here wondered if Block had his experience in radio, where silence is not golden. That would make sense. It’s a shame he can’t develop as an announcer.
Bobster21

Pirates vs SD 6/22.

Post by Bobster21 »

Archer is pitching well today. Let's hope his teammates get him a few runs.
Bobster21

Pirates vs SD 6/22.

Post by Bobster21 »

Osuna comes through! He now leads MLB in PH HRs with 3. Shades of Jerry Lynch! :)
Bobster21

Pirates vs SD 6/22.

Post by Bobster21 »

Crick now has 20 walks in 27 IP. He's got that big, sweeping breaking ball that gets a lot of swings and misses but too often throws it too far outside to tempt the batter. So when he gives up a hit, a runner ends up at 3B because of the free pass. A reliever just can't afford to walk nearly a batter per inning. He's been pretty effective this season but too often flirts with disaster because of the walks.
Bobster21

Pirates vs SD 6/22.

Post by Bobster21 »

This is ridiculous. Bucs ahead 6-3 with 2 outs and 1 on in the 9th. But because the rule book says a reliever can enter here and get a save with the tie run on deck, Hurdle immediately brings Vazquez in for the stat. Heaven forbid a save opportunity presents itself and Vazquez isn't brought in. And now if Vazquez really is needed tomorrow, we'll have to hear how is isn't available for the next game because of overuse. It's absurd that a stat dictates how a manager manages his pitching staff.
SteadyFreddy

Pirates vs SD 6/22.

Post by SteadyFreddy »

We saw yet again another brain dead base running mistake by Marte after his leadoff triple in the 8th failing to run on contact on the little dribbler Moran hit past the mound. There was no way Marte would not have scored on that had he taken off on contact. We also saw Marte try to throw Margot out at home on a sac fly when their was a man on 1st and one out in the 7th in a 2-2 game when there was not a chance in hell of Marte being able to throw Margot out and by trying to do so allowed the go ahead run to advance to 2nd base in a tie game.

I know it all worked out for the Pirates in the end and they won but these brain dead moments Marte continues to have time and time again just make me want to trade him more and get what you can for him right now while his value is still high and might be the highest it will be for a long time.
SteadyFreddy

Pirates vs SD 6/22.

Post by SteadyFreddy »

As for the game another good win by the Pirates as they are now 5-2 in this stretch of games against bad to mediocre teams this last week. They are 5 games under .500 still but still just only 4.5 games out of a 2nd wildcard spot and incredibly only 5.5 games out of 1st place thanks to a lot of teams ahead of them in the standings really struggling this last week or so. The Pirates had to have a good week these last 7-8 games or they would have been completely buried in the standings. Need to finish this sweep off today and make it 6-2 before heading out on the road on Tuesday night to face Gerrit Cole and a pissed off Astros team that has currently lost 7 in a row and could be 8 in a row if the Yankees sweep them today.

A good last week for the Pirates was important to have and they got it for the most part. Finishing off a sweep of the Padres today and going 6-2 instead of 5-3 in these 8 games will make you feel a lot better about things moving forward as the Pirates move into another tough stretch of games before the All Star Break starting Tuesday night in Houston.