Moves Team Should Make Today

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

With J Hay being hurt, there likely are not a lot of players on the Bucs team who another team would be interested in picking up with only a month to go. That said, the Bucs may have a few who could be of interest.

1) David Freese. I really like Freese as a player on the 2019 roster, however, trading him could land a middling prospect (some of whom turn out to be players like Trevor Wililams) and remove a $6 mil salary from next year's team. Maybe the Cardinals would want him as a low cost alternative to Donaldson.

2) Jody Mercer. Give him away for virtually nothing. Why? Give more playing time to folks who may be with the team next year. Team also could save a few nickels.

3) Nova. See if anyone is interested in picking up his salary for next year, and offer a middling return; perhaps some international bonus money and a 20 level prospect.

I know that NH and folks (often deservedly) come under a lot of criticism. However, the 2019 team could be well positioned to be a decent team, IF the Pirates jettison the contracts that they appear that they will (Harrison, Mercer, and Rodriguez and perhaps Freese), and IF they spend the money on one or more position players who could help.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Mainer, have no problem with Freese being sent away but I would have done it yesterday with the promise that the Bucs would bring him back in 2019 even if it cost the Bucs $6 mil for a year.

As for Mercer, trade him for some IBM and even pay the rest of his salary for 2018. Having him around just makes it possible that Clint will start him for most of the games left.

As for Nova I think we are stuck with him for now. Maybe in the off season we can deal him.
Kovalwat

Post by Kovalwat »

There is no way that we should do anything until after Huntington is fired. He will just screw up 2019 like he has screwed up all other years since he has been here.

---

WOW, and you think Facebook and Google has censorship problems.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

73574E59544F594C380 wrote: There is no way that we should do anything until after Huntington is fired.  He will just screw up 2019 like he has screwed up all other years since he has been here.

---

Kovalwat, you must be absolutely miserable being a Pirate fan for so many years. I got ya by a few. So miserable in fact that you want to make other Pirate fans miserable and I hear that about how you are effecting other fans. If you hate Pirate management so much why don't you go out and find a team that will management a baseball team like you want them too. That way you would not miserable and would not make Pirate fans miserable. Try the Cubs or the Red Sox. Why not the Dodgers or the Yankees they all have tons of money and are willing to dump future AS for tested vets. As for censorship, no one is censoring you because you say the same thing post after post. Try making a sensible remark and surprise us for once.
Kovalwat

Post by Kovalwat »

7A5B537A51593E0 wrote: There is no way that we should do anything until after Huntington is fired.  He will just screw up 2019 like he has screwed up all other years since he has been here.

---

Kovalwat, you must be absolutely miserable being a Pirate fan for so many years.  I got ya by a few.  So miserable in fact that you want to make other Pirate fans miserable and I hear that about how you are effecting other fans.  If you hate Pirate management so much why don't you go out and find a team that will management a baseball team like you want them too.  That way you would not miserable and would not make Pirate fans miserable.  Try the Cubs or the Red Sox.  Why not the Dodgers or the Yankees they all have tons of money and are willing to dump future AS for tested vets.  As for censorship, no one is censoring you because you say the same thing post after post.  Try making a sensible remark and surprise us for once.

----

No thanks. I have been a Pirate fan for 61 years and I will remain that way. If someone else wants to look at this Management through rose colored glasses, that is on them.
RichD

Post by RichD »

Yeah, this guy brings misery to every forum he goes too.

We all know the Pirates have awful ownership not much we can do.
Kovalwat

Post by Kovalwat »

516A606B47030 wrote: Yeah, this guy brings misery to every forum he goes too.

---

So, since we can't do anything about this selfish Management we should just keep quiet and accept it?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7551485F52495F4A3E0 wrote: Yeah, this guy brings misery to every forum he goes too.

---

So, since we can't do anything about this selfish Management we should just keep quiet and accept it?

Do you think you're going to change the organization with your comments here on OBN? We've discussed Nutting, NH, Hurdle to death here. There are also other things Pirate related to talk about. But you restrict yourself to your anti-organization comments as if you alone are fighting the good fight. Well guess what, you're not fighting the fight at all. I'm sure TBMTIB is not scouring OBN to get your take. And if anyone here posts something other than a hateful message directed at team officials who will never see it, you accuse them of looking at the org thru rose colored glasses, even tho we've all conveyed the same sentiments as you long before you even joined this site. But unlike you, we are capable of having Pirate related conversations about other things too. Why don't you carry a protest sign outside PNC Park? At least they would get your message. But you're preaching to the choir here, you're not making a difference, and often insulting the very people who feel the same way you do.   
mouse

Post by mouse »

And on one of those other topics, here, per Pirates Prospects, is what the Pirates have actually done today:

"The Pittsburgh Pirates added five players today, with a little bit of a surprise in the group. They added catcher Jacob Stallings, 1B/OF Jose Osuna, relief pitchers Nick Burdi and Dovydas Neverauskas, and IF/OF Pablo Reyes, who was added to the 40-man roster."

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5A58424452370 wrote: And on one of those other topics, here, per Pirates Prospects, is what the Pirates have actually done today:

"The Pittsburgh Pirates added five players today, with a little bit of a surprise in the group. They added catcher Jacob Stallings, 1B/OF Jose Osuna, relief pitchers Nick Burdi and Dovydas Neverauskas, and IF/OF Pablo Reyes, who was added to the 40-man roster."
Nice to see Reyes get a taste of MLB. He earned it this year. Burdi only appeared in 10 games this year in the minors after TJ surgery. He's a rule 5 so I guess this is a harmless way of adding him to the roster per rule 5 rules. He'll have to be on the team next year at least part of the season or be offered back to the Twins. Osuna and Stallings were expected. And they seem to love Nerverauskas--but only until he pitches. I expect to see another catcher added. They like to carry 3 in September and Diaz now has a hammy and Cervelli is always one pitch away from the concussion protocol.