Is this really going to happen (or not happen)?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

So as we are closing in the spring training and 2019, are the Pirates really going to go into the season with Lyles as the No. 5 starter and Gonzalez as the SS?

I mean this is pathetic, and embarrassing, even by the Pirates' lowly standards.

What frustrates me to no end is that the Pirates could upgrade and improve significantly by adding a SS and TWO starting pitchers (and yes they need two) and they would STILL have a rock-bottom, penny-pinching payroll.

But they're not even willing to do that much ...

I wonder what it would cost to add Hecheverria, Gio Gonzalez, Wade Miley and Granderson (for another LH OF bat off the bench.)

I'm sure it wouldn't cost THAT much ...

Thank goodness we don't have to do that, though, since we are so "happy with our internal options."
Leyland1948

Post by Leyland1948 »

Miley just signed with the Astros. Another issue, who is the backup center fielder? Do they take Frazier off of second to play center then play someone else at second. The bench will have little to no power also.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

0D24382D202F2570787579410 wrote: Miley just signed with the Astros.  Another issue, who is the backup center fielder? Do they take Frazier off of second to play center then play someone else at second. The bench will have little to no power also.

I think Pablo Reyes is back up in center, maybe platoon partner with Frazier at second.

Power is over rated (NH or Clint must have said that somewhere along the line).
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

785A49545752555A794E5858543B0 wrote: So as we are closing in the spring training and 2019, are the Pirates really going to go into the season with Lyles as the No. 5 starter and Gonzalez as the SS?

I mean this is pathetic, and embarrassing, even by the Pirates' lowly standards.

What frustrates me to no end is that the Pirates could upgrade and improve significantly by adding a SS and TWO starting pitchers (and yes they need two) and they would STILL have a rock-bottom, penny-pinching payroll.

But they're not even willing to do that much ...

I wonder what it would cost to add Hecheverria, Gio Gonzalez, Wade Miley and Granderson (for another LH OF bat off the bench.)

I'm sure it wouldn't cost THAT much ...

Thank goodness we don't have to do that, though, since we are so "happy with our internal options."

My only disagreement is that it is not embarrassing even by Pirate standards. It's typical. It's what I expect. It's hard to remember an off season that was impressive. Each year I expect TBMITB to do as little as possible with the only emphasis on saving money. I don't say this to insult them. Their actions or lack thereof speak for themselves, yet I remain a fan. It's just a realization how how things are. Personally, I never get surprised by their typical lack of of significant off season activity because that same lack of activity is exactly what I expect and I would be astounded by anything more. Sadly, we are fans of an organization that cares little about winning and a lot about profit. Expecting more is a fantasy. :(
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

So Miley went for 1 yr and $4.5 million. That would have been a good fit and a LEGIT upgrade over Lyles.

What will Hechaverria get? Maybe 1 year $2.5M?

Granderson ... 1 year ... maybe $2M

Gio ... no idea ... 1 year for $5M?

So Pirates could get all 4 probably on 1 year deals for a total of about $13M.

And the team payroll would still be near the bottom of the MLB.
Quail

Post by Quail »

Didn't NH sign David Freese as a FA in March? By the Pirates' bargain basement shopping standard it's still very early in the game. Oh, and just in case NH misses a few bargains with his laissez-fair style, no problem; we like our internal options very much, thank you. ::)
notes34

Post by notes34 »

Oh it's going to happen for sure. They will not spend at all. What frustrates me is basically wasting what little they do spend on garbage. With this off season turning out like it is why sign Lyles early to 2.5M? They need a 5th starter which he really isn't anymore. Add together the small amounts they basically throw away on projects and try to get Gio for a year, and allow Keller to develop.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Fear not. Bartolo Colon is still available.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Who woulda thunk it: I’ve got a bit of optimism about the moves the Pirates made.

First the bad: trading Nova with (apparently) no intention to upgrade rotation through free agency. There were a lot of options for the Pirates to upgrade at a fair price and they’ve demonstrated once again an amazingly short sighted view. A very good rotation could have been upgraded to outstanding. Huge disappointment that proves “Profits” is the main game this owner plays.

The infield is not ready for prime time. No effort to upgrade an obvious opportunity.

The good: I do like the acquisitions that have been made going back to last season (so the Pirates are forcing me to cheat a bit).

I like Archer, Kela, Chesinhall and Jung Ho. They help elevate the 2019 Pirates into a competitive team. Too bad the FO once again sells the fans on empty promises.

Another case of failing to finish the team. Apparently the team is good enough for Bob.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

It appears they construct their roster, and don’t add certain pieces which they need due to unknown injuries. In my opinion they still need another starting pitcher, as insurance if one of the 5 incur an injury. Their bench needs some additional depth as well.