Time to Call the Phillies

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Unfortunately, McCutchen is out for the season and the Phillies were already looking for outfield help before his injury.

The Phillies have gone all in to win. What would the Phillies offer the Pirates for Marte? The Bucs do not have another CF'er equal to Marte defensively, but an outfield of Reynolds, Polanco, Cabrera, Dickerson and maybe even Chisenhall (if he still exists) should be able to deliver a reasonable amount of offense.

I don't know if the Phillies have much in their system, but if they have any remaining talent, perhaps the Bucs can actually swing a talent for talent trade.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

You make a good point, but I doubt the Bucs would trade Marte until they know they cannot compete this season. I would have no problem if they moved Marte, but I would expect some decent players in return.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Dickerson and Chisenhall are both doing rehabs at Indy so it won't be too long before they have a glut of OFers. I'd move Marte for whatever they could get. NH is not the best at trades so I wouldn't expect too much of a return. But moving Marte could be addition by subtraction. For all his talents, he seems to lack the mental acuity to get the most out of his ability.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Just listening to 93.7 The Fan and they too are saying the Bucs should be contacting the Phillies regarding Marte. As the Pirates continue to struggle, and get further behind it is probably time to call teams regarding their interest of certain Pirate players. I like Milky, but he would make a great bench piece for a contender. I would want value for him, no way would I just give him away. With his bat he would be very valuable in the postseason.
CTBucco

Post by CTBucco »

One problem is that a lot of the OF depth is not signed beyond this year (Chisenhall, Cabrera, Dickerson). We'll have our own big hole to fill if Marte is traded.

And do the Bucs trade for the future or for MLB(ready) guys? If they want help for the rest of this year, they need pitching. They could maybe get Haseley back to fill the OF opening next year. He was their '17 1st round pick out of UVa who was called up. Maybe add in LHSP prospect Cole Irvin who is at AAA. But that may be too rich for PHI. You could also ask for AA RHSP prospect Adonis Medina who has SP2 upside.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

I have no faith what so ever in Huntington to get any high end Major League ready prospects back for Marte no matter if they trade him to Philly or whoever else. Huntington’s track record speaks for itself.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

022534303528172334353528510 wrote: I have no faith what so ever in Huntington to get any high end Major League ready prospects back for Marte no matter if they trade him to Philly or whoever else. Huntington’s track record speaks for itself.

Freddy, you just have to wait until next year. That is when the team will be good. trust me on this.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I would not close the door on a deal but I think people are over-down on Marte.  Most of it seems based on optics and people staring into their TV and reading a player's mind to know that they "don't care."  The lapses are there on tape but I'd never be so bold as to say I know what a player's internal thoughts are. 

Despite the issues (and have no doubt it's an off year so far) he's still on pace to steal ~30 bags and hit 20 HRs.  I wish all players were so unproductive.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

6C5E52524674575E5356595E3F0 wrote: I would not close the door on a deal but I think people are over-down on Marte.  Most of it seems based on optics and people staring into their TV and reading a player's mind to know that they "don't care."  The lapses are there on tape but I'd never be so bold as to say I know what a player's internal thoughts are. 

Despite the issues (and have no doubt it's an off year so far) he's still on pace to steal ~30 bags and hit 20 HRs.  I wish all players were so unproductive.  I think you have to ask yourself is Starling Marte who is going to be 31 if he is actually going to be apart of the next team that takes the Pirates deep into the playoffs and beyond. I think we all know the answer to that question and what the best option to do with Marte is if the answer to that question is No. Its time to trade Marte and move forward without him.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I'm not just unloading him though. I want a real-life ML SP.