Next season and North Mercer

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GermanTownship

Post by GermanTownship »

I know that this is probably too early to discuss. But with all of the discussion about letting the young players that have been recently brought up play more, I personally would be much more comfortable resigning Mercer to a one year contract. Having him play on a semi-regular basis would be so much better than allowing an untested player (Newman) play everyday. To me, he has not been very impressive. But, I would play Frazier everyday for the remainder of this season at 2nd base, and then send him to the Instructional League over the winter. He would be my choice as the everyday 2nd baseman for next year.
GermanTownship

Post by GermanTownship »

Sorry, I meant Jordy Mercer.
mouse

Post by mouse »

That re-signing is always a two-way process. Mercer has to be willing to re-sign. I believe the thought is he will get offers and some may be for more than the Pirates are willing (or should) pay for a part-time player.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

What about resigning Hechavarria. Much better defense than Jordy and about the same offense.
Quail

Post by Quail »

I'd consider Hechavarria for the SS insurance role. Probably be fairly reasonably priced and provides better defense than Mercer.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

to me, a lot depends on what Newman and Kramer do the rest of this season.

I don't want to sign someone who has been a regular and tell them they are going to be a utility player.

johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

I'd rather try Kramer at short in Fraser at 2nd and keep Newman for his glove.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I would not have a problem with Hechavarria at SS ... if something significant is done to upgrade this hapless offense. If we could add some legitimate offense/power, then I wouldn't mind having a Gold Glove caliber SS even if he was just a .230 hitter. I put a lot of value on elite defense at that position.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

7E7C666076130 wrote: That re-signing is always a two-way process. Mercer has to be willing to re-sign. I believe the thought is he will get offers and some may be for more than the Pirates are willing (or should) pay for a part-time player.

But I could see him being the new Clint barmes
GermanTownship

Post by GermanTownship »

That's how I feel.