Pirates vs Cubbies - 8/17 - 1:05 pm - Game Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Early game today so the teams can take a bus ride to Williamsport for Player's Day Game tomorrow.

1. Kevin Newman (R) 2B

2. Bryan Reynolds (S) LF

3. Starling Marte (R) CF

4. Josh Bell (S) 1B

5. Melky Cabrera (S) RF

6. Colin Moran (L) 3B

7. Elias Diaz (R) C

8. Erik Gonzalez (R) SS

9. Steven Brault (L) P

One ? Can't Frazier, who is known for being a decent hitter against lefties be better than Gonzalez?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Gonzalez is arbitration eligible next season and it's unlikely the Pirates will keep him. Tucker should be on the roster next year (and I'm wondering if Kramer will have any options left). IMHO, NH has some egg on his face for trading for Gonzalez to play SS and he probably wants Gonzalez to get a chance to justify NH's faith in him. NH might not be too confident about his job security at this point and it's likely his and Hurdle's fates are tied together as most new GMs want a manager of their own choice. Hurdle seems compliant with the wishes of his GM and has nothing to lose at this point by giving some playing time to Gonzalez. Also, Gonzalez doesn't figure to make much in arbitration or if he accepts an offer from the Pirates prior to that, and a good showing in the rest of the season would enhance the chances of trading him for a low level prospect.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

I would rather give the playing time in the field and at the plate to Tucker, if nothing else as a reward for his patience at the plate in the 9th last night, but, it is not a major issue for Hurdle (NH) to start Gonzalez at SS today.

But, if Gonzalez again fails to play a weak fly correctly, I would pull him from the game and have him sit on the bench.
INbuc

Post by INbuc »

Brault pitched great today. There were so many late swings by the Cubs. It seems like his fastball just accelerates the last half of the pitch. Hope we can plate a couple and get him a win.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Just read that the Pirates today became just the 2nd team in the last 45 years to have 6 plate appearances with the bases loaded in a shutout loss.

Classic Pirates.
INbuc

Post by INbuc »

The Bucs did not hit well today. As often happens, Lester was stingy with anything over the plate, throwing on the black all day. Our guys failed to adjust. I really did think Brault pitched well. He challenged the Cubs and they really had trouble squaring him up and timing him. And his fastball dominant pitch selection made his secondary stuff more effective. Only one game, but he had a good one today.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

I’m really encouraged by Brault’s turn around recently. We desperately need a lefty in the starting rotation and he may be the guy. Also he should always be considered for a DH in inter league games and as a PH ahead of Reyes, Gonzalez, etc in regular games against the NL. He can rake at the plate. Best hitting pitcher we have had since Rick Rhoden or Don Robinson
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6D484B4B5E7548404255270 wrote: I’m really encouraged by Brault’s turn around recently. We desperately need a lefty in the starting rotation and he may be the guy. Also he should always be considered for a DH in inter league games and as a PH ahead of Reyes, Gonzalez, etc in regular games against the NL. He can rake at the plate. Best hitting pitcher we have had since Rick Rhoden or Don Robinson
I agree. It made no sense to have Reyes bat for him in the 7th after 82 pitches. Brault is the better hitter and Feliz came on in the 8th and gave up 2 hits and a run (as many hits and runs as Brault gave up over 7 innings). That move was a downgrade in both hitting and pitching. Brault is relying on his FB now with good results. I hope he can keep this up thru the remainder of the season and give them an effective LHP in the rotation next year.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

567B76676071662625140 wrote: I’m really encouraged by Brault’s turn around recently. We desperately need a lefty in the starting rotation and he may be the guy. Also he should always be considered for a DH in inter league games and as a PH ahead of Reyes, Gonzalez, etc in regular games against the NL. He can rake at the plate. Best hitting pitcher we have had since Rick Rhoden or Don Robinson
I agree. It made no sense to have Reyes bat for him in the 7th after 82 pitches. Brault is the better hitter and Feliz came on in the 8th and gave up 2 hits and a run (as many hits and runs as Brault gave up over 7 innings). That move was a downgrade in both hitting and pitching. Brault is relying on his FB now with good results. I hope he can keep this up thru the remainder of the season and give them an effective LHP in the rotation next year.

In this situation I let Brault bat. Like you said he only at 82 pitches and he can handle the bat pretty good for a pitcher. I save Reyes for later on as a PH. If Brault does not get it done in the 8th then you go to Nightmare for a 5 or 6 out save.

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Possum, maybe Nutting will let you and me co-manage the Bucs. The Cubs tried that idea in 1961-62.