Mustgroove Up For Sale

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

Mustgroove Up For Sale

Post by GreenWeenie »

Assuming that he's dumped, too, I'll decide on giving the

acquiring team either a 2.0 or 2.5 because of inconsistencies.

What do we get- position-wise, level-wise?

I'm thinking that the return has to be more for him than we got for Bell.  Polanco's replacement? 

Let's open it up and see what's said.
BellevueBuc

Mustgroove Up For Sale

Post by BellevueBuc »

7A4F5858536A58585354583D0 wrote: Assuming that he's dumped, too, I'll decide on giving the

acquiring team either a 2.0 or 2.5 because of inconsistencies.

What do we get- position-wise, level-wise?

I'm thinking that the return has to be more for him than we got for Bell.  Polanco's replacement? 

Let's open it up and see what's said.

I agree with you on all points here. I would guess they get more lower level players like they did with Marte.
Bobster21

Mustgroove Up For Sale

Post by Bobster21 »

I don't know how much other GMs would value Musgrove. His 3.86 ERA in the short 2020 season was his career best. And, as you noted, inconsistency is his trademark. I would consider him a legit #4 starter. Not sure what teams would give up to acquire a #4.

Then there's the matter of what the Pirates want, as opposed to what their fans want them to want. Would they continue to ask for prospects to stock the minors? Or would they want someone to join their 26 man roster? If they want a major league outfielder, how good of one will a rival GM give up for a #4 starter? It wouldn't take much to start in the Pirates' outfield.

So if they trade him, I suspect fans will be disappointed in the return. Because it likely will either be mid range prospects or a mediocre major leaguer.
PMike

Mustgroove Up For Sale

Post by PMike »

FWIW, PP did an article on his possible worth yesterday. They had him at 80% the total WAR trade value of Snell. They were basing that on his WAR value over the his career and the 3 years of control that both have remaining. The article didn't suggest that the Pirates would get that much value out of him, but was arguing that he may be worth a little more than some think. I think a big to Musgrove is that he is probably looked at as reliable for a lot of innings. And for those who are down on the Pirates for trading guys at the wrong time, this is definitely an upswing time to trade him.
GreenWeenie

Mustgroove Up For Sale

Post by GreenWeenie »

I think that the other GMs understand this latest version of The Burgh's Sheriff Sale. I think we'll get something less than top suspect- midrange.
SyrBucco

Mustgroove Up For Sale

Post by SyrBucco »

Is it against the law to actually trade for a catching prospect?
Ecbucs

Mustgroove Up For Sale

Post by Ecbucs »

627F5B5957320 wrote: FWIW, PP did an article on his possible worth yesterday.  They had him at 80% the total WAR trade value of Snell.  They were basing that on his WAR value over the his career and the 3 years of control that both have remaining.  The article didn't suggest that the Pirates would get that much value out of him, but was arguing that he may be worth a little more than some think.  I think a big to Musgrove is that he is probably looked at as reliable for a lot of innings.  And for those who are down on the Pirates for trading guys at the wrong time, this is definitely an upswing time to trade him.

I think this is a good assessment except I'm not sure that he is reliable for a lot of innings. In 2018 he only made 19 starts for Bucs, in 2019 he started a career high 31 games and pitched 170 innings then in 2020 he made 8 starts. It is interesting that for his career his FIP is 3.90 vs. his actual ERA of 4.33.
GreenWeenie

Mustgroove Up For Sale

Post by GreenWeenie »

6E444F7F485E5E523D0 wrote: Is it against the law to actually trade for a catching prospect?

I would go along with that idea. Which means that we can expect Surg to charge me with some sort of ordinance violation. ;)

Bobster21

Mustgroove Up For Sale

Post by Bobster21 »

I find it interesting that after a so-so rookie season in 2016 and an awful first half of 2017, the Astros moved him to the BP where Musgrove excelled with a 1.44 ERA, .196 BA against and was scored upon in only 3 of 23 relief appearances. For the Pirates, he has proven to be a so-so starter. That's good enough for a bottom of the rotation guy but I wonder if he could be a light-out reliever, which would probably be of more value than a bottom of the rotation starter.
GreenWeenie

Mustgroove Up For Sale

Post by GreenWeenie »

One way to guarantee it. Give him to the Rays.

See? Now, you put me in a foul mood. Thanks.