Pirate Charities

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

WildwoodDave

Pirate Charities

Post by WildwoodDave »

I read where Pirate Charities donated $50,000 to the area Food Bank. Very nice gesture but I wonder how they kept it from Bob
2drfischer@gmail.c

Pirate Charities

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

023C3931223A3A3111342330550 wrote: I read where Pirate Charities donated $50,000 to the area Food Bank. Very nice gesture but I wonder how they kept it from Bob

Nutting's underlings distracted him by telling him they rolled a couple of bums outside of PNC Park and took their loose change.
WildwoodDave

Pirate Charities

Post by WildwoodDave »

510711050A10000B061123040E020A0F4D00630 wrote: I read where Pirate Charities donated $50,000 to the area Food Bank. Very nice gesture but I wonder how they kept it from Bob

Nutting's underlings distracted him by telling him they rolled a couple of bums outside of PNC Park and took their loose change.
And Bob didn't fire them for not turning it in?
2drfischer@gmail.c

Pirate Charities

17292C24372F2F2404213625400 wrote: I read where Pirate Charities donated $50,000 to the area Food Bank. Very nice gesture but I wonder how they kept it from Bob

And Bob didn't fire them for not turning it in?

He let them off the hook by docking their pay by the amount they collected. That's a win-win for him if ever there was one.
Lecom

Pirate Charities

Post by Lecom »

The pirate's charities are about the only thing the Pirates have done right.
shedman

Pirate Charities

Post by shedman »

1E37313D3F520 wrote: The pirate's charities are about the only thing the Pirates have done right.
_________

I think the Pirate's charities is great, but for BOB it is just a cheap way to shift the negative PR from the way he runs the team to a positive PR.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Pirate Charities

372C212029252A440 wrote: The pirate's charities are about the only thing the Pirates have done right.
_________

I think the Pirate's charities is great, but for BOB it is just a cheap way to shift the negative PR from the way he runs the team to a positive PR.

I agree.  I love that the organization has a Charities arm but I don't think Nutting would have it unless there was an advantage to him.  I think the PR aspect is just a small part of it, though.  I truly believe that he doesn't care one wit what people think of him.
Javy

Pirate Charities

Post by Javy »

On a more heartwarming note, the Pirates players, on their own, purchased 400 pizzas and 100 sides of pasta from local restaurants and sent them to healthcare workers at Allegheny General. They are also buying coffe for all of the Pittsburgh fire stations. [smiley=thumbsup.gif].

That is a very nice undertaking from some too often criticized people.
JulianJay

Pirate Charities

Post by JulianJay »

what's wrong with you...how dare you break the rules and say something nice...wow...even charity gets a bad name if it can be turned to how the Nutting is ruining all of Pittsburgh maybe the whole world...so many words and energy wasted...think i need a nap after all this typing
Javy

Pirate Charities

Post by Javy »

29160F0A020D29021A630 wrote: what's wrong with you...how dare you break the rules and say something nice...wow...even charity gets a bad name if it can be turned to how the Nutting is ruining all of Pittsburgh maybe the whole world...so many words and energy wasted...think i need a nap after all this typing

I am one of many who has no faith in Nutting and have no belief in him as the owner/leader of our beloved Pirates. That said, I don't care how much of a scoundrel he is - Pirates Charities has done exceptional work in the community since it's inception in 2006.I don't know if he, Ogden, or McClatchey was the driving force behind it, or, someone else is, that should never detract from good works and good will towards others.

In the particular case I wrote about, the Pirates players did this on their own.

As the Father of 2 daughters in the health care industry, actively working in hospitals in New Jersey and currently Florida, with one already having been tested for exposure to a doctor she worked with who has the virus. ANYONE who took the time to do something nice for people like my girls, deserves that huge thumbs up.

Our Fla daughter will be heading home next week, to her next assignment, which will be in an ER about 30 miles from our home. She is not even going to stop to see us, out of concern for us. This is something the parents of these folks deal with.

If anyone is so inclined, doing something for health care workers is a great way to help. Doesn't have to be much. My wife spent last weekend making masks for the workers at our other daughters hospital. This one lives 3 miles away, and also will not come to our house.

As much as we all bellyache and complain about Bob and the Pirates, and the start of the season being delayed, and our lives disrupted (yes, including me), there are other, real hardships occurring right in front of us. Let's all ride this out together and keep the front-liners in mind.

Sorry if this offends anyone! Stay safe and healthy!

NOTE: I am not reacting to anything written by others, or being judgmental. I'm just a Dad who has been affected by the absence of his kids as a result of this epidemic.