Players weekend uinforms.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

All teams are wearing the same uniforms. Visitors wear all white including white letters and numbers on a white shirt (good luck with that) or all black (at least the black letters and numbers are framed in white on the black shirt). I think they are horrendous (not to mention making all visiting players throughout MLB this weekend mystery players). I did an online search and couldn't find any positive feedback about them. Here's an article.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/new ... 40odueyshg

When I was a kid I loved the Pirate uniforms and associated the team with that look. If I was a kid today and went to a game and saw my favorite team dressed in such an embarrassing manner that wasn't even representative of their real uniform, I would be so disappointed. MLB is outthinking itself. They try too hard to be progressive instead of having fans become loyal to a particular team's look. Today, you can go to a game and you might see a white uni, a camo uni, a throw back uni, a Negro League uni, a spring training uni, a uni with no player name with everyone wearing "42" or a generic clown suit like all teams are wearing this weekend. More isn't always better.
GnatsEyelash

Post by GnatsEyelash »

Back in the late 70's, when the Pirates went with the mix and match uniforms, I thought it was interesting that they could come up with 27 different combinations, but I didn't like all of them.

I hated the all yellow. Made them look like canaries. The wide pinstripes were not a fave, either. I was fine with the all black...with yellow lettering...and with black and yellow combinations.

Back then, it was variety. Now, it's all marketing. A uniform should be...well, uniform. And if you are going to do something special, make them special. Not just black and white. I'd be OK on Memorial Day weekend if teams would dress in green camo and desert camo. That would be a nice tribute.

And bring in tanks...as bullpen carts.

Just for Memorial Day weekend...
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I kinda like the black ones
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

05373B3B2F1D3E373A3F3037560 wrote: I kinda like the black ones

those white ones are hideous.
INbuc

Post by INbuc »

Nice win for the Bucs and great effort by Williams on the mound. He is better than this season's stats may imply. Still undefeated in these unsightly uniforms. :)
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I went to Camden Yards for 2 Orioles games this weekend. The players were introduced by their nicknames only and the numbers were illegible. It wasn't until several innings later when the scoreboard identified the actual names that I even knew who I had been watching. It would have been interesting to see Austin Meadows in his Rays uniform. But of course, even when I could figure out that he was playing, he looked like the Good Humor man (exactly like all of his teammates) and I still haven't seen the Rays uniform. If you looked hard enough you could kind of make out the Orioles numbers but only having the nicknames on the jersey wasn't much help knowing who was playing. This has to be one of the most asinine ideas MLB ever came up with.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

153835242332256566570 wrote: I went to Camden Yards for 2 Orioles games this weekend. The players were introduced by their nicknames only and the numbers were illegible. It wasn't until several innings later when the scoreboard identified the actual names that I even knew who I had been watching. It would have been interesting to see Austin Meadows in his Rays uniform. But of course, even when I could figure out that he was playing, he looked like the Good Humor man (exactly like all of his teammates) and I still haven't seen the Rays uniform. If you looked hard enough you could kind of make out the Orioles numbers but only having the nicknames on the jersey wasn't much help knowing who was playing. This has to be one of the most asinine ideas MLB ever came up with.

my kid's fall soccer program had its first game yesterday. Uniform they wore yesterday were black shorts with white tops. Looked fine except the numbers are very hard to see. rather than sold black numbers on white jersey it is black outline of the number.

Just think Bobster, someone made a lot of money coming up with this idea. (Sounds like an idea from a consultant rather than an employee).