Pirates defeat Hated Brewers, 3-1

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

More evidence tonight of why the Pirates need to bring Nova back in 2019.

Tonight he goes 6 IP, 1 run, 1 BB, 4 Ks.

I'm not saying he's an All-Star (he's not), but he is a legitimate, proven, veteran MLB starter. We need him.

We all know that next year either Williams will fall of dramatically, or Taillon will take a step back, or Musgrove will scuffle or Archer will continue to be terrible. They're not all going to be great. And of course there will be injuries.

This franchise doesn't have anywhere near enough starting pitching depth.

Absolutely imperative to keep Nova ... and then they need to go ahead and get at least 1 more proven starter as well.

The Pirates already have enough problems lined up for next year (Polanco injury, Bell, 3B, middle infield, etc.), there's no need to add starting pitching depth to that list.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Nova is what he is, a # 4 starter who can go on some runs of solid pitching (better than a # 4). A # 4 starter on a 1 year deal for $8.5 mil or so is one that the Bucs should be able to absorb in the overall payroll.

I also agree that the Bucs have little to no starting depth with Kuhl injured and potentially out for a lot of next year. The only other candidates are Kingham, who has quite a few warts (needs perfect placement of his pitches); Brault, who often can't find the plate; and Keller, who does not appear to be ready. Holmes appears to have no value as a starter.

I'm not so sure about adding to the starting staff, unless a good lefty suddenly appears, but if the Bucs are to compete in 2019, they need to hold on to the starters that they have.

Also nice to see the team beat the Brewers. Vasquez, however, has been a bit shaky lately.