Would Taillon Consider An Extension

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

During this past week the Phillies extended Arron Nola with a 4 year 45 million dollar contract and the Yankees extended Sererino with a guaranteed contract of 4 years of 40 million dollars. I believe both these pitchers are first year arbitration eligible players which Taillon is not. Would it be a smart move by the Pirates to lock up their #1 starting pitcher for several years, avoiding those arbitration years, and would it be in Taillon’s best interest to sign an extension since he has had Tommy John Surgery, and there have been cases when pitchers have required a second operation? Heaven forbid this would not happen, but with any pitcher TJ Surgery can be a pitch or two away.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I think he's the player rep and is involved in issues relating to owners efforts to keep salaries down. I think he would be hard pressed to give a discount on an extension.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I have a hard time believing any quality player wants to tie himself to the Nutting organization thru his prime years. When Marte signed his extension it was with the belief the pirates were serious about building a contender. Marte helped convince Polanco to sign an extension at the beginning of 2016. The Pirates did try to build a contender thru 2015 but then instead of adding 1 or 2 more pieces to try to get over the top, they threw in the towel and slashed payroll. We get the annual BS from TBMTIB about competing but then we watch them dumpster dive with the 29th or 30th lowest payroll. Players notice. Freese and Harrison publicly commented last year on the lack of effort to win. So I believe players who desire a chance to compete for a WS look forward to the time they leave the Pirates. The Pirates are great for players like Moran or Erik Gonzalez who want a chance to play regularly and might not get it elsewhere. But I don't think a pitcher like Taillon wants to play for a franchise that lacks the effort to build a team capable of a serious run at a WS.
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

Cole just got 13.5M in his first year of arbitration. Why would Taillon sign an extension for less. Until the Pirates start paying market average salaries not even their own players will want to resign let alone a good free agent. As Bobster said; only players trying to resurrect their careers are matches for the Pirates.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

This is coles last year of arbitration
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

As Bobster noted it would be difficult to sign a long term contract under the Nutting ownership, but if Taillon was offered something in the neighborhood of the 45 million which Nola received, it would be tough to turn that down. Taillon may never have another serious arm injury, but one never knows if that could happen when your career is throwing a baseball.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

3C30316A636A626F68776D5A0 wrote: As Bobster noted it would be difficult to sign a long term contract under the Nutting ownership, but if Taillon was offered something in the neighborhood of the 45 million which Nola received, it would be tough to turn that down. Taillon may never have another serious arm  injury, but one never knows if that could happen when your career is throwing a baseball.
Yes, that would be quite a dilemma for Taillon. I'm not sure which way he would go on that. But I don't think the Pirates would ever offer a contract like that. Just as Taillon would be tempted to take the money in case he would get hurt and not be able to pitch, the Pirates would have to decide if they were willing to risk giving that money to any pitcher, knowing the risk of injury.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

You have to look at the back end of these now. It looks like he'll be 31 when he gets to free agency in 2023 (per BB-Ref). The way things are running now, if he gives the team a coiple of option years be might cripple his ability to get multi-years in free agency.
mouse

Post by mouse »

For someone who was drafted in 2010, he has a long way to go until he's a free agent. I really don't understand those rules and how they calculate that service time.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4E4C565046230 wrote: For someone who was drafted in 2010, he has a long way to go until he's a free agent. I really don't understand those rules and how they calculate that service time.
A player is eligible for free agency after 6 years in MLB. It doesn't matter how long it took before he got to MLB. Taillon made his MLB debut in 2017 so his 6 years are 2017-2022 inclusively and is a FA in 2023. (Assuming of course he remains in MLB for those 6 years.)

Per Fangraphs, service time is calculated as such:

There are usually about 183 days in an MLB season, but a player can only earn a maximum of 172 days per year. That means if you’re on the roster for 178 days, you earn 172 days. If you’re on the roster for 183 days, you also earn 172 days. Not surprisingly, 172 days of service is equal to one year of service.