Payroll 2020 Season

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Payroll 2020 Season

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I read somewhere that the current projected payroll for this coming season is about 65 million dollars. If that is so, if they would move Marte and Kela that would lower payroll to almost another 15 million dollars, or to 50 million dollars.If the budget for the 2020 payroll was in line with this past season it would be approximately 78 million dollars. 28 million dollars would not get the Bucs Cole, or Rendon, but it could get them 3 mid range players to make the team more competitive than it was in 2019. With all the positive management hires which the Bucs have made, I feel they are going to upgrade the roster to make the team interesting to follow this season.
mouse

Payroll 2020 Season

Post by mouse »

I hope that isn't wishful thinking. I could see NH saying they are holding the money for next year or the year after when the team is better situated to compete, etc. I would like to think this new management team takes a different approach.
SCBucco

Payroll 2020 Season

Post by SCBucco »

6C60613A333A323F38273D0A0 wrote: I read somewhere that the current projected payroll for this coming season is about 65 million dollars. If that is so, if they would move Marte and Kela that would lower payroll to almost another 15 million dollars, or to 50 million dollars.If the budget for the 2020 payroll was in line with this past season it would be approximately 78 million dollars. 28 million dollars would not get the Bucs Cole, or Rendon, but it could get them 3 mid range players to make the team more competitive than it was in 2019. With all the positive  management hires which the Bucs have made, I feel they are going to upgrade the roster to make the team interesting to follow this season.

And if this is the case, Nutting will get a lot of negative press again. If this is the case, Marte is gone. I would hold onto Kela to be honest and use him as a closer to build his resume for a better return at the TDL. We don't have anyone close to being a good closer, but in the end does it matter?

I would deal Bell if someone blows the door off on an offer. We won't be able to resign him. He is coming off an all-star game performance and a season that he might not reach again. Solid rookie year, fell back as a sophomore, exploded first half of year three and then came back to earth. I'm not sure what Josh Bell is to be honest.
OrlandoMerced

Payroll 2020 Season

Post by OrlandoMerced »

It's impossible to get a handle on what they are going to do / want to do this offseason.

I have them currently at ~60M, but that's minus pedo-guy (I'm not sure if they are obliged to pay his salary while he's in jail).

So the final tally would be at ~65M as they have to add another catcher and a BP arm:

C Stallings

1B Bell

2B Frazier

SS Newman

3B Moran

RF Polanco

CF Marte

LF Reynolds

1P Archer

2P Musgrove

3P Williams

4P Brault

5P Keller

BN Reyes

BN FA Catcher

BN Gonzalez

BN Osuna

BN Kramer/Craig/Martin

RP Kela

RP Crick

RP RichRod

RP Santana

RP Kuhl

RP Feliz

RP FA RP

I'm under the impression that the Vazquez debacle paved the way for a ML roster rebuild. Without him to anchor the bullpen, there was really no way to push this roster to compete.

Here are a number of 2020 priorities that I would stick to if I were Cherington:

1. Graduate the upper level prospects (Hayes, Keller, Tucker, Oliva)

2. Confirm what you have in Newman and Reynolds

3. Maximize return for Bell, Marte, Kela and Musgrove

4. Try to revive value from Polanco, Archer, Williams and Crick

5. Guys like Moran, Brault, Reyes, Osuna and Frazier can stick around. They are at least major leaguers and might have some upside if you squint, and thus potentially become trade chips.

So after this upcoming prospect class, Thomas, Cruz and Bae are your high upside prospects. They need to keep investing in the Internatioinal market, and get lucky in the draft. 2020 looks like a roster deconstruction year, and the good thing for Cherington is that NH left him no contract duds and a lot of young MLers with years of control