Bucs Acquire Dustin Fowler

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

The Pirates have acquired Dustin Fowler from the "As" for cash considerations. Just seems like an odd acquistiion due to the current group of outfielders on the roster, as well as Brian Goodwin.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7B77762D242D25282F302A1D0 wrote: The Pirates have acquired Dustin Fowler from the "As" for cash considerations. Just seems like an odd acquisition due to the current group of outfielders on the roster, as well as Brian Goodwin.
Doesn't hurt to take a flier on him. He'll fit right in with the collection of guys trying to make the Pirates who might not be able to make any other team. Fowler is 26, a LH batter and had some good minor league seasons even prior to going to the PCL. His MLB experience is limited to one partial season with the A's where he only started for 2 months. He hit poorly but it's a SSS. I read that he's out of options. So he'll probably be released if he doesn't win a roster spot.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Just read that Alford is still having some soreness with throwing because of his injury last season. Alford could begin the season on the DL, which would open a spot on the Opening Day roster for Fowler.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

I think it's a good move. Here's a wild prediction:

1. Polanco tears it up in ST, some team takes him off the Pirates hands at some percentage of his contract, Pirates save the part they don't pay, Goodwin and Fowler are in the OF with Reynolds and Tucker or Oliva as the group of four OF. Frazier is also OF depth.

OR

2. Polanco stinks it up, shows he's done, and the Pirates eat his contract, and cut him.

In other words, I'm predicting Gregory Polanco will not play a regular season game ever again with the Pirates.
2drfischer@gmail.c

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

4D6B6C79707C6B7D751E0 wrote: I think it's a good move. Here's a wild prediction:

1. Polanco tears it up in ST, some team takes him off the Pirates hands at some percentage of his contract, Pirates save the part they don't pay, Goodwin and Fowler are in the OF with Reynolds and Tucker or Oliva as the group of four OF. Frazier is also OF depth.

OR

2. Polanco stinks it up, shows he's done, and the Pirates eat his contract, and cut him.

[highlight]In other words, I'm predicting Gregory Polanco will not play a regular season game ever again with the Pirates.[/highlight]

If that turns out to be true, I'll be one happy fella.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Or this could be his breakout season. The problem with baseball is you never know.
Javy

Post by Javy »

6965643F363F373A3D22380F0 wrote: The Pirates have acquired Dustin Fowler from the "As" for cash considerations. Just seems like an odd acquistiion due to the current group of outfielders on the roster, as well as Brian Goodwin.

Isn't Fowler the former Yankee who tore his knee up making a sliding catch in a game? He was a fairly highly rated prospect at the time. Gruesome injury as I recall.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4962757A030 wrote: The Pirates have acquired Dustin Fowler from the "As" for cash considerations. Just seems like an odd acquistiion due to the current group of outfielders on the roster, as well as Brian Goodwin.

Isn't Fowler the former Yankee who tore his knee up making a sliding catch in a game? He was a fairly highly rated prospect at the time. Gruesome injury as I recall.
Yes. That was his 1 and only game for NY and it happened in the first inning.
Javy

Post by Javy »

Thought that was him - it was a real hustle play, and he slid into a sprinkler box or something.

This cannot be a bad acquisition. Nothing to lose by trying to improve your depth.
WildwoodDave2

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

3C6A7C68677D6D666B7C4E69636F6762206D0E0 wrote: I think it's a good move. Here's a wild prediction:

OR

[highlight]In other words, I'm predicting Gregory Polanco will not play a regular season game ever again with the Pirates.[/highlight]

If that turns out to be true, I'll be one happy fella.
Right there with you on that one, doc