A Comparison Of Two Third Basemen

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

In 1969 Richie Hebner joined the Pirates for his rookie year and hit .301 with 8 homers and 47 rbi in 129 games. Colin Moran presently has 7 homers 29 rbi and is hitting about.275. At this point one would expect Moran will surpass Hebner in homers and rbi in his rookie season. Hebner was often benched for Jose Pagan whenever a lefty pitched which is similar to Moran. If Moran can continue to improve as well as Hebner did during his Pirate career, I think we have a solid player for several years.

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

6E6263383138303D3A253F080 wrote: In 1969 Richie Hebner joined the Pirates for his rookie year and hit .301 with 8 homers and 47 rbi in 129 games. Colin Moran presently has 7 homers 29 rbi and is hitting about.275. At this point one would expect Moran will surpass Hebner in homers and rbi in his rookie season. Hebner was often benched  for Jose Pagan whenever a lefty pitched which is similar to Moran. If Moran can continue to improve as well as Hebner did during his Pirate career, I think we have a solid player for several years.

Saw Hebner during his entire career as a Bucco. I will be very happy if Moran becomes a Hebner. Not a slugger by any means but a steady hitter who learned to hit righties and become part of the Lumber Co. And he had a decent glove too. One place where Moran will not excel over Hebner is in his off season workouts. Hebner was you know an expert grave digger and he did it manually. ;D
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

Appreciate the comparison to Hebner's stats. That said, often difficult to compare a third baseman from the late 60's to someone in 2018.

If Moran ends the year with only 50 RBI's after spending even part of the year in the clean-up spot, and with only 15 HR's, I am not sure that we should deem such a success. I remain hopeful that he will grow into being a productive hitter.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

262A2B7079707875726D77400 wrote: In 1969 Richie Hebner joined the Pirates for his rookie year and hit .301 with 8 homers and 47 rbi in 129 games. Colin Moran presently has 7 homers 29 rbi and is hitting about.275. At this point one would expect Moran will surpass Hebner in homers and rbi in his rookie season. Hebner was often benched  for Jose Pagan whenever a lefty pitched which is similar to Moran. If Moran can continue to improve as well as Hebner did during his Pirate career, I think we have a solid player for several years.

It does look like Moran can be a solid player.

Hebner was only 21 when he was a rookie. Both he and Al Oliver were better than NL rookie of the year Ted Sizemore.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

I'd like to see him play some 1st base.  To see if he can field it OK.   He's played there before and his statuesque range and height may be better served.   

I know it's unpopular, but we may have a questionably workable solution to the Bell / 1b problem.  If Kang hits, he can slot in at 3b, Moran at 1b may improve that spot significantly, hitting and fielding.    120 OPS+ with average defense at 1b would do it. 

There are recent signs that Moran may be driving the ball more.  He missed another homer to dead center by about 10 feet last night (pull the ball, bro)

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

765051465040330 wrote: In 1969 Richie Hebner joined the Pirates for his rookie year and hit .301 with 8 homers and 47 rbi in 129 games. Colin Moran presently has 7 homers 29 rbi and is hitting about.275. At this point one would expect Moran will surpass Hebner in homers and rbi in his rookie season. Hebner was often benched  for Jose Pagan whenever a lefty pitched which is similar to Moran. If Moran can continue to improve as well as Hebner did during his Pirate career, I think we have a solid player for several years.

It does look like Moran can be a solid player. 

Hebner was only 21 when he was a rookie. Both he and Al Oliver were better than NL rookie of the year Ted Sizemore.
The later part of the sixties is when some of young Pirates arrived which were part of the 1971 World Series team. Oliver, Sangy, Hebner, Bobby Robertson, and Dave Cash just to name a few players. In those days the Farm System was loaded.
mouse

Post by mouse »

As I remember, Hebner was social. He ended up with the Phillies for a while and played first at least a bit for them. I always liked him, and he certainly played well for us.
Kovalwat

Post by Kovalwat »

When Hebner was in Pittsburgh, Bob Nutting did not own the team. He would have just like Moran will be salary dumped as soon as he becomes FA eligible.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

I was a big fan of the grave digger.