Ultimate tootblan

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

JollyRoger

Ultimate tootblan

Post by JollyRoger »

At the Game tonight in SD and just watched a brain dead Bucs team blow what could have been a great rally. Bucs score 2 in the 9th to cut the Padre lead to 4-3. Polanco on 3rd no outs after his triple. Mercer pops out. Osuna hits a drive down the RF line. Renfroe in RF makes a running catch against the wall, partially falling into the crowd with his back turned away from home plate. Incredibly Polanco did not tag up and score. He could have jogged home. Fundamentally pitiful and stupid baseball. So frustrated with this team
mouse

Ultimate tootblan

Post by mouse »

I guess there's some question who thought tagging wasn't a good idea. This is what is showing on the teams MLB website --

"Polanco said he and third-base coach Joey Cora couldn't tell whether the ball was going to be fair or foul. According to Polanco, Cora told him not to tag up. Why?

"I have no idea. I just listened to what he said," Polanco said. "He told me the same the play before, when Mercer was hitting. He told me the same, like, 'No, no.'"

Cora was apparently unavailable to the press afterwards.
CarolinaBucco

Ultimate tootblan

Post by CarolinaBucco »

This is the most Pirates thing ever.

Whether the ball was going to be fair or foul doesn't even matter. Just tag up !!!!
ArnoldRothstein

Ultimate tootblan

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

Just looked at this: I could be wrong, but I don't think it's a classic. They couldn't know the guy was going to hit the fence, or spin off the wrong way. I would probably send him, but I'm a pretty big believer in making the defense make the play unless it's a guy who you know is going to make the play.
fjk090852-7

Ultimate tootblan

Post by fjk090852-7 »

I think the bottom line regarding this play or others neither Polanco or Marte have a very good grasp of the fundamentals of baseball. Both these guys have had many many base running gaffes.
dmetz

Ultimate tootblan

Post by dmetz »

Polanco doesn't even know how to slide. His triple slide just before the lack of tagup was something out of little league.

Good to see the investment into the dominacn baseball academy all those years ago is paying off. (Only Polanco has resulted , Marte was a Little field selection)
fjk090852-7

Ultimate tootblan

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Maybe instead of talking about trading Harrison and Dickerson maybe it would be in the Bucs best interest to trade Marte and Polanco and replace them with a couple players who have knowledge of the game.
JollyRoger

Ultimate tootblan

Post by JollyRoger »

I got so wrapped up in the Polanco/Cora miscue that I forgot to mention that Glasnow was filthy last night. Absolutely unhittable. He made Padre hitters look foolish.
Ecbucs

Ultimate tootblan

Post by Ecbucs »

073428292A221429322E3532232F28460 wrote: Just looked at this: I could be wrong, but I don't think it's a classic.  They couldn't know the guy was going to hit the fence, or spin off the wrong way. I would probably send him, but I'm a pretty big believer in making the defense make the play unless it's a guy who you know is going to make the play.

If Polanco was ready to tag, he would have made it if he had taken off as soon as he hit the fence. Very doubtful that Renfroe (as good as his arm is) could have made an accurate throw to get Polanco. Maybe with zero outs you don't risk it but as play was second out of inning you need to go.