The Departed

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

The Departed

Post by Bobster21 »

785E5F485E4E3D0 wrote: I just saw Tyler Glasnow interviewed on the MLB Network. He was asked what made him a better pitcher in Tampa. He said that the Pirates wanted him to nibble at the corners. He said in Tampa they recognized that that had not worked for him and wanted him to get back to what had made him successful (in the minors). He said they gave him confidence that his stuff was good enough to pitch aggressively and challenge hitters instead of nibbling. I watched him pitch against the Orioles last season and he was throwing 97 over the plate, getting strikes and getting ahead of hitters. What a shame the Pirates failed to bring out his potential when Tampa seems to have had so little trouble doing that.   

Nibble at the corners...  Whoever told him that should definitely have been fired.  Jeez.

Later in the show he said Cole had also been told to nibble and wasn't allowed to pitch to his strength until he got to Houston. 

If those words were said to Glasnow and Cole, you know it was an organizational philosophy.  Getting rid of Searage may be better for guys like Brault as well.  Brault has been an habitual nibbler and one who seems to not trust his stuff.  There may be a lot of collateral growth here from getting a toxic maxim out like the need for pitchers to "nibble around the zone."

I am not a fan of nibbling but it seems like an excuse to me.  Nibbling to me means throwing strikes on the corner and if you miss, you miss away from the plate.  Maybe Cole and Glasnow didn't have enough command to do it. 
Yes, but missing away from the plate and not getting calls from umps on what should be perfect strikes gets the pitcher in a hole. Few pitchers are perfect enough to pitch that way consistently instead of getting ahead of hitters by challenging them with good stuff and then nibbling when ahead in ther count. Glasnow admitted in his interview that hitting the corners was not his strength. The Pirates embraced that philosophy and tried to force a square peg into a round hole. Tampa agreed that nibbling was not his forte and told him not to pitch that way.
NJBucsFan

The Departed

Post by NJBucsFan »

755855444352450506370 wrote: I just saw Tyler Glasnow interviewed on the MLB Network. He was asked what made him a better pitcher in Tampa. He said that the Pirates wanted him to nibble at the corners. He said in Tampa they recognized that that had not worked for him and wanted him to get back to what had made him successful (in the minors). He said they gave him confidence that his stuff was good enough to pitch aggressively and challenge hitters instead of nibbling. I watched him pitch against the Orioles last season and he was throwing 97 over the plate, getting strikes and getting ahead of hitters. What a shame the Pirates failed to bring out his potential when Tampa seems to have had so little trouble doing that.   

Nibble at the corners...  Whoever told him that should definitely have been fired.  Jeez.

Later in the show he said Cole had also been told to nibble and wasn't allowed to pitch to his strength until he got to Houston. 

If those words were said to Glasnow and Cole, you know it was an organizational philosophy.  Getting rid of Searage may be better for guys like Brault as well.  Brault has been an habitual nibbler and one who seems to not trust his stuff.  There may be a lot of collateral growth here from getting a toxic maxim out like the need for pitchers to "nibble around the zone."

I am not a fan of nibbling but it seems like an excuse to me.  Nibbling to me means throwing strikes on the corner and if you miss, you miss away from the plate.  Maybe Cole and Glasnow didn't have enough command to do it. 
Yes, but missing away from the plate and not getting calls from umps on what should be perfect strikes gets the pitcher in a hole. Few pitchers are perfect enough to pitch that way consistently instead of getting ahead of hitters by challenging them with good stuff and then nibbling when ahead in ther count. Glasnow admitted in his interview that hitting the corners was not his strength. The Pirates embraced that philosophy and tried to force a square peg into a round hole. Tampa agreed that nibbling was not his forte and told him not to pitch that way.   

I think so much of it depends on the pitcher. If you're a junkball kinda guy with good control, sure it makes sense to nibble. But Glasnow, Cole and Morton, not so much.
NJBucsFan

The Departed

Post by NJBucsFan »

The Breakdown named Cutch first-team all-decade along with Trout and Stanton. Standout player for sure, and I loved him while he was here, but he fell off the past few years. Not Betts? Upton? Harper? As much as I hate to say it Braun?

https://www.thebrkdwnsports.com/thebrkd ... he-decade/
Ecbucs

The Departed

Post by Ecbucs »

Corey Dickerson a Marlin

he Marlins are finalizing a two-year deal with free-agent outfielder Corey Dickerson, according to Jon Heyman of MLB Network. The financial details aren’t known just yet; for what it’s worth, MLBTR predicted at the outset of the winter that Dickerson would earn $15MM over a two-year term.
notes34

The Departed

Post by notes34 »

2 yrs at 17.5M.
DemDog

The Departed

Post by DemDog »

Hudson resigns with the Nats. 2 yrs $11 million with $1 million in performance bonuses. As lousy as he was with the Bucs he got himself straightened out with the Nats last season. And he also got us, Cory Dickerson, for a brief time. In the end, all we got really for Hudson is a few sheckles in International Signing Bonus money, and not much at that.
fjk090852-7

The Departed

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Rockies sign Elias Diaz to a minor league contract.
SammyKhalifa

The Departed

Post by SammyKhalifa »

646869323B323A37302F35020 wrote: Rockies sign Elias Diaz to a minor league contract.
29, I guess I didn't realize he is as old as he is.
Ecbucs

The Departed

Post by Ecbucs »

ex-Bucco Jay Bell will manage the Rocket City Trash Pandas in 2020 (in Madison, AL outside of Huntsville).

https://www.al.com/news/huntsville/2020 ... eason.html
ScottinMass

The Departed

Post by ScottinMass »

022425322434470 wrote: ex-Bucco Jay Bell will manage the Rocket City Trash Pandas in 2020 (in Madison, AL outside of Huntsville).

https://www.al.com/news/huntsville/2020 ... eason.html

Could be one of the worst names for a sports team yet. Really? Trash Pandas?