Shohei Ohtani

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Shohei Ohtani

Post by Bobster21 »

323B33222C560 wrote: Of course the have 20 million dollars.  It's a one time posting fee, not an annual salary.

I guarantee you the org ran in the black more than 20 mil per for at least 2 of the 3 years we were breaking attendance records while keeping payroll 26th in baseball.

The idea that they don't have 20 million and couldn't push payroll to 120-125 for a single season is absurd and the result of a fanbase beaten down, held hostage, and suffering from Stockholm syndrome.

It's not the fans fault.  They are the hostages.  They've been conditioned to think this way
This is 2 different issues. Most of us probably agree with you that they could have added 20 million to the payroll a few years ago but didn't and show no indication of being willing to do that. That's not a new issue. My point is that expressing interest in Ohtani does not indicate a shift in that position because it's far more likely they would cut as much salary by dumping players than to simply add 20 million to the 2018 payroll. That's not me drinking the Kool-aid and thinking they can't afford more. That's me observing how this org operates and realizing that even if Ohtani had shocked the world by choosing the Pirates, the Bucs would not likely have added 20 million to the 2018 payroll and will not reallocate that sum elsewhere.
dmetz

Shohei Ohtani

Post by dmetz »

373235333B3128353C2F29245D0 wrote: Every team has the posting fee.  Every team is getting $50M from the Disney purchase of Bamtech.  The posting fee is a non-issue.

Cool.  So if we are getting 50mil and continue to allocate about 40% of revenue to MLB payroll (one of the worst in MLB, but hey that's us) what does that come out to?

Is the bamtech money even delayed the way the media money was phased in, or does it all hit 2018?

johnfluharty

Shohei Ohtani

Post by johnfluharty »

I'm not sure when it will actually come, but it will come at some point. It's easy enough to float a loan when the money to pay it back is guaranteed. The problem with adding that to payroll is that is a one-time thing. I'd love to see them use it over a four or five year period with some existing freed up money and bring in a player with some power.
SammyKhalifa

Shohei Ohtani

Post by SammyKhalifa »

GRAVEDIG!

Anyhow, I just read a report that says he might need TJ surgery.  What a loss for The Game.

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/news/sh ... krazssb5a1