The Other Games

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

GreenWeenie

The Other Games

Post by GreenWeenie »

7C495E5E556C5E5E55525E3B0 wrote: I'll say this much:  he's a force to be reckoned with.

Whether the guy belongs on any lists, I can't say.  I'll let folks more wise than me (just about everyone) argue to their hearts' content.

The old guys talk smack about the modern guys.  The ESPN/Fox Sports guys and women make the Flavors Of The Month sound like they're the Second Comings.  Keller's Koufax.

It's all a game.

I respect Ohtani, just as I respect all other talent.

I would gladly accept him on MY team.
2drfischer@gmail.c

The Other Games

Post by 2drfischer@gmail.c »

4A6C6B7E777B6C7A72190 wrote: Shohei Ohtani with another win on the mound and four hits at the plate last night.  When his career is done, will he be regarded as best baseball player to ever play, or can that be decided already?
There is always this comparison of Ohtani to Ruth. To use the answer that Chris "Mad Dog" Russo used to address the question when asked about it, "Two words. Designated Hitter."

Sorry, but Ohtani only plays the field when it's his turn to pitch.   He's not even in my top 25.

Ted Williams was a poor, indifferent fielder. I would think that’s worse than not being in the field at all because of the damage he potentially could cause. So should he not be considered one of the best players in baseball history?
Surgnbuck

The Other Games

Post by Surgnbuck »

217761757A60707B766153747E727A7F3D70130 wrote: Shohei Ohtani with another win on the mound and four hits at the plate last night.  When his career is done, will he be regarded as best baseball player to ever play, or can that be decided already?
There is always this comparison of Ohtani to Ruth. To use the answer that Chris "Mad Dog" Russo used to address the question when asked about it, "Two words. Designated Hitter."

Sorry, but Ohtani only plays the field when it's his turn to pitch.   He's not even in my top 25.

Ted Williams was a poor, indifferent fielder.  I would think that’s worse than not being in the field at all because of the damage he potentially could cause.  So should he not be considered one of the best players in baseball history?

I would love Ohtani on the team. And the DH is been here for 50 years and counting.

Russo's point was comparing Ohtani to Ruth isn't a good one, simply because Ruth never had the opportunity to DH. Apples to oranges.

From his offensive standpoint, let Ohtani's numbers stand in comparison to everyone else's, and not trying to cubbyhole him just because he pitches, which Ruth quit doing.

It's really cool to see a guy so rare he pitches and hits like he does. But best ever? Right now, he's 17th in MLB in OPS. He's 13th in slugging. Certainly, he's in the upper echelon of MLB. But hitting wise, he's not even top 10 right now. He's 25th and 32nd respectively in MLB for BA and OBP.

I actually agree with Greenie. Trying to put him on some sort of list right now is arbitrary. I just wish we had an Ohtani, either as a pitcher or a hitter. He's certainly one of the better players in MLB, and certainly the most unique. I just don't agree with everyone that his star is the brightest one in the sky.
2drfischer@gmail.c

The Other Games

103631242D21362028430 wrote: Shohei Ohtani with another win on the mound and four hits at the plate last night.  When his career is done, will he be regarded as best baseball player to ever play, or can that be decided already?

Ted Williams was a poor, indifferent fielder.  I would think that’s worse than not being in the field at all because of the damage he potentially could cause.  So should he not be considered one of the best players in baseball history?

I would love Ohtani on the team. And the DH is been here for 50 years and counting.

Russo's point was comparing Ohtani to Ruth isn't a good one, simply because Ruth never had the opportunity to DH. Apples to oranges.

From his offensive standpoint, let Ohtani's numbers stand in comparison to everyone else's, and not trying to cubbyhole him just because he pitches, which Ruth quit doing.

It's really cool to see  a guy so rare he pitches and hits like he does. But best ever? Right now, he's 17th in MLB in OPS. He's 13th in slugging. Certainly, he's in the upper echelon of MLB. But hitting wise, he's not even top 10 right now. He's 25th and 32nd respectively in MLB for BA and OBP.

I actually agree with Greenie. Trying to put him on some sort of list right now is arbitrary. I just wish we had an Ohtani, either as a pitcher or a hitter. He's certainly one of the better players in MLB, and certainly the most unique. I just don't agree with everyone that his star is the brightest one in the sky.

Ohtani is like that stud high school player who’s head and shoulders above all the other kids, except he’s that kid at the major league level. No one since Ruth at the end of the Dead Ball Era has done what he’s doing. He may not be the best at his positions but he’s exceptional as both a pitcher and hitter.

I think it’s too early to say he’s the best baseball player ever, that’s why I asked if that would be the case when he’s finished. Ruth played a long time, I doubt Ohtani will match those years. But what Ohtani has been doing is incredible. I don’t think there’s been anyone else in the past 100 years who could’ve done what he’s doing.
Bobster21

The Other Games

Post by Bobster21 »

Ohtani is among the game's best hitters but even in his 46 HR season of 2021, he wasn't the league leader. When Babe Ruth began batting regularly he led MLB in HRs in 1919 with 29 when 2nd place was 12. The next year he hit 54 when 2nd place was 19. In 1921 he had 59 HRs when 2nd place was 24. It took several years for MLB to catch up to him. Until then, he was on a completely different level than every other hitter, as if he had come from another planet. Ohtani is a great, unique talent but has not dominated his peers to the degree Ruth did.
GreenWeenie

The Other Games

Post by GreenWeenie »

Ohtani doesn't need to ⁰be Ruth for me to appreciate him.

I realize that people love to make such comparisons.  It's part of being a fan.  Ruth played 100 years ago.

Russo is an absolute Yankee homeboy.  He's not unbiased on the subject.

As for being a league leader or not the league leader, that's silly to me.  We have a few more teams today.  We have a couple more players now.  That makes more competition to lead a league in a lot of categories.  That's just one of at least ten major differences in the sport over 100 years.

Ruth is on a pedestal in my eyes.  He's historical.  Ohtani isn't on a pedestal, but he's arguably a fine player.  Maybe he's historical, too.  I'm not sure.  I say- sit back and enjoy him.  Let's see how he does vs. Pirates pitching.

We know how our juggernaut lineup will do against him. :(((((?
2drfischer@gmail.c

The Other Games

496469787F6E79393A0B0 wrote: Ohtani is among the game's best hitters but even in his 46 HR season of 2021, he wasn't the league leader. When Babe Ruth began batting regularly he led MLB in HRs in 1919 with 29 when 2nd place was 12. The next year he hit 54 when 2nd place was 19. In 1921 he had 59 HRs when 2nd place was 24. It took several years for MLB to catch up to him. Until then, he was on a completely different level than every other hitter, as if he had come from another planet. [highlight]Ohtani is a great, unique talent but has not dominated his peers to the degree Ruth did.[/highlight]

I agree that he's not the game's most dominant hitter, but he's really, really good, and he's feared by almost all pitchers.  That alone makes him among the best hitters.  Now add in that he's one of the top pitchers in the game.  Those two things combined, doing two completely different skills at a very high level, while no one else has done so since Ruth 100 years ago (and he did it only for a few years), puts him in a category no one else has been in.
Ecbucs

The Other Games

Post by Ecbucs »

164056424D57474C4156644349454D480A47240 wrote: Ohtani is among the game's best hitters but even in his 46 HR season of 2021, he wasn't the league leader. When Babe Ruth began batting regularly he led MLB in HRs in 1919 with 29 when 2nd place was 12. The next year he hit 54 when 2nd place was 19. In 1921 he had 59 HRs when 2nd place was 24. It took several years for MLB to catch up to him. Until then, he was on a completely different level than every other hitter, as if he had come from another planet. [highlight]Ohtani is a great, unique talent but has not dominated his peers to the degree Ruth did.[/highlight]

I agree that he's not the game's most dominant hitter, but he's really, really good, and he's feared by almost all pitchers.  That alone makes him among the best hitters.  Now add in that he's one of the top pitchers in the game.  Those two things combined, doing two completely different skills at a very high level, while no one else has done so since Ruth 100 years ago (and he did it only for a few years), puts him in a category no one else has been in.

what surprises me about Ohtani is that he steals bases. He has 4 seasons with at least 10 steals with a high of 26. He has 72 now and may pass Clemente in life time steals this year. (I have always wondered how Roberto would have done if the Bucs had tried to make him a basestealer - I think he could have good)
2drfischer@gmail.c

The Other Games

0B2D2C3B2D3D4E0 wrote: Ohtani is among the game's best hitters but even in his 46 HR season of 2021, he wasn't the league leader. When Babe Ruth began batting regularly he led MLB in HRs in 1919 with 29 when 2nd place was 12. The next year he hit 54 when 2nd place was 19. In 1921 he had 59 HRs when 2nd place was 24. It took several years for MLB to catch up to him. Until then, he was on a completely different level than every other hitter, as if he had come from another planet. [highlight]Ohtani is a great, unique talent but has not dominated his peers to the degree Ruth did.[/highlight]

what surprises me about Ohtani is that he steals bases. He has 4 seasons with at least 10 steals with a high of 26. He has 72 now and may pass Clemente in life time steals this year.  (I have always wondered how Roberto would have done if the Bucs had tried to make him a basestealer - I think he could have good)

Good point about the base stealing. He’s a complete player in more ways than anyone else who’s ever played. And I have no doubt that he could probably be an above average right fielder if the Angels needed him to play there. He’s a baseball player in every sense of the word.
WildwoodDave2

The Other Games

Post by WildwoodDave2 »

Brewers lost to the Rays today 8-4. Bucs are still tied

for First