Shohei Ohtani

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Aaron

Shohei Ohtani

Post by Aaron »

7D505D4C4B5A4D0D0E3F0 wrote: NH did what he had to do and went thru the motions for something he knew would not come to fruition

That's been his M.O. with regard to winning a World Series, too.
dmetz

Shohei Ohtani

Post by dmetz »

Good deal. That 20 mil posting fee we had earmarked because we were going to do all we can to sign him can sign Todd Frazier for 2 years by itself (almost)

Or 1 year of Moustakas.

Yeah, Moustakas would need quite a few years. Frazier might sign for 2 years if you're aggressive enough
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Shohei Ohtani

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I thought the posting fee was changed and why so many teams had a shot at Ohtani? I am just hearing about this $20 million max posting fee. I thought the Japanese league/team gets a percentage of his deal?

This is an unusual case and I'm still confused. It seems many sites don't know the process either. Oh well, I guess once he signs more info will come out.
Bobster21

Shohei Ohtani

Post by Bobster21 »

5E555D5154554E0B0D7A435B5255551459553A0 wrote: I thought the posting fee was changed and why so many teams had a shot at Ohtani?  I am just hearing about this $20 million max posting fee. I thought the Japanese league/team gets a percentage of his deal?

This is an unusual case and I'm still confused. It seems many sites don't know the process either. Oh well, I guess once he signs more info will come out.
They delayed changing the rule for 1 year so that his team could get 20 million instead of a percentage of his salary.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Shohei Ohtani

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

According to MLB.com, these teams are no longer in the Ohtani sweepstakes: The A’s, Astros, Blue Jays, Braves, Brewers, Cardinals, Diamondbacks, Indians, Marlins, Mets, Nationals, Orioles, Phillies, Pirates, Rays, Reds, Red Sox, Rockies, Royals, Tigers, Twins, White Sox, and Yankees.

That leaves seven teams as finalists (a list confirmed this morning by other sources) for Ohtani, the most exciting player to hit MLB in a long, long time. Drumroll please: The Angels, Cubs, Dodgers, Giants, Mariners, Padres, and Rangers.

*Deadspin

Ohtani has until December 22nd to decide.
SammyKhalifa

Shohei Ohtani

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I'm rooting for Mariners.

To be fair, that's only so I can say I was right, haha.
IABucFan

Shohei Ohtani

Post by IABucFan »

I'm rooting for any AL team. I'll be sick if he goes to the Cubs. But, would be pretty typical.

Real time update of how NL Central "contenders" are spending their offseason:

1. Cards are trying to trade for Stanton

2. Cubs are trying to sign Ohtani

3. Pirates are trying to sign Xavier Cedeno

Pretty much sums things up...
mouse

Shohei Ohtani

Post by mouse »

I see several of the Ex-Braves have signed with teams today. I wonder if NH is thinking of looking at any of them at all.
SammyKhalifa

Shohei Ohtani

Post by SammyKhalifa »

6D6F757365000 wrote: I see several of the Ex-Braves have signed with teams today. I wonder if NH is thinking of looking at any of them at all.

Maitan woulda been nice
dmetz

Shohei Ohtani

Post by dmetz »

The point is that if we were really doing all we can in trying to land him, we had the 20mil earmarked, right?

You gotta pay $20 mil just to buy his rights before you negotiate a contract. Without the 20 mil, there could be nobody competing with you and you still couldn't sign him.   

So we obviously have 20+ mil to spend on increasing payroll this year, since that was just the posting fee!    Let's get busy!